Ireland
Joined 3473 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Polish

Message 17 of 25
10 May 2015 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
    French:
I've been very busy for the past few days, but I made sure to make some progress. I've been
reading the book about Eleanor Roosevelt and it's very engaging so I'm going to keep going
with that. Since the last time I updated this log (4 days ago), I've read 99 pages, bringing
my total since the beginning of this log up to 1070! I should probably set a goal for my
reading. I'll set my goal as 400 pages over the next 20 days. I won't have as much time as I
normally do as I have to study (read: cram) for my end of year exams.
    German:   
I've restarted the active wave, which I'm gonna do at a slooooooow pace. I'm at 15/100 now,
so at this rate I should be done in 85 days. I've been watching some movies and trying to
read and I've realised I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I can't really remember being
at this stage in French. I've downloaded a copy of the Hunger Games in German (obviously not
for extensive reading haha). I'll make use of my Kindle's dictionary and hopefully I'll pick
up a bit of sentence structure there. I'm going to try and get a hold of a grammar book or
something soon as my grammar is pretty weak.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4953 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 25
10 May 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I totally understand your feelings about your German skills, I am in quite a similar
place. I am now focusing on a grammar book and a vocabulary book and I hope to get a
solid base enough to get into easier native material soon. My first attempt on a
tvseries was nothing awesome. We just need to keep going!

A few ideas

1.you might like to try some adventure games in German. I am now playing Broken Sword
and it is much more accessible than movies or books, I have both the audio and text
available at once. The pace is slower than in a movie, I need to interact with the
game, which makes me prove my comprehension and think more about the information said.

2.Please, share your views on the Hunger Games in German once you get to reading it.
My planned first book is Eragon and I'd like to get ideas for more.

3.If you're looking for a grammar book, I am pretty excited about Klipp und Klar,
published by Klett, you might like to consider it. It's very informative with lots of
examples, I find it fun, and the price/value ratio is really good, in my opinion. I am
approximately in one third and already noticing some progress.
Another good looking one is Übungsgramatik für Anfänger, published by Hueber. It is
still waiting for my attention, obviously I let myself drag by the the pictures in
Klipp und Klar. But I am definitely planning on using it as it is obviously well
structured with plenty examples and exercises as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lundrum
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 3473 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 19 of 25
13 May 2015 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestions Cavesa! I think I might order Klipp und Klar and in the meantime
just look up grammar points as I see them. I have the feeling that the "look them up as you
find them" approach might not work so well for German haha. I've only read 5 pages of the
Hunger Games so far, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I understood! I still had
to look up an insane amount of words, but I got the general gist of it. I've already read
it many times in English and I would definitely recommend it. It's a real page turner.

So in the past few days I've basically just been coasting along. I haven't done any more
active lessons, but I have been reading a bit in German and watching some videos and
movies. My listening comprehension isn't great, but I can often follow along with the gist
of what's being said, which is encouraging!

I've made a French friend on the Internet today. We talked for like 2 hours and it was
really great. My written French is both better and worse than I thought. I can pretty much
"converse" effortlessly through text, but I had to look up a couple of spellings, which was
annoying. But I have a new French friend now! I've read around 70 pages in the last 3 days,
bringing my total up to 1140. I should be finished with this book in the next couple of
days.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4953 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 25
14 May 2015 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip, I think Hunger games might get on my reading list really soon.
Nowadays, I am postponing all the new very popular fantasy books aimed at teenagers until
I can read them in other languages as they are sure to be translated and likely to not be
too hard for an intermediate. Thanks!

The "look it up when you encounter it" approach is not bad. The only problem is, that I
tend to encounter everything at once in German. But I don't mind, there are already some
structures in the fog and chaos, I hope to get the rest, given enough time and energy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4853 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 21 of 25
14 May 2015 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
For quick grammar lookups, have you tried German.about.com? I haven't been on there in a loooong while, but the French version (French.about.com) is great for checking things out on the fly. Whenever I Google a grammatical question about French, it's usually one of the first, and best, results.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on your log, but are you aware of the wealth of free learning materials available on the Deutsche Welle website? One of their introductory courses might be a good complement to Assimil. I think the most used one is called Deutsche Warum Nicht? I didn't use it, but I used their audio course called Radio D. It is very basic, but the storyline was interesting, there is a good deal about German culture, and it teaches learning skills, especially listening for clues to meaning even when you don't know all the words.

Edited by Jeffers on 14 May 2015 at 12:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lundrum
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 3473 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 22 of 25
23 May 2015 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Been very busy this last week! I basically spent all of today and yesterday constantly refreshing the news to
find out more about the referendum result. I must say, I'm very proud to be Irish right now, which I don't often
have the opportunity to say.

I'll start working again tomorrow.

Edited by Lundrum on 23 May 2015 at 6:20pm

Lundrum
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 3473 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 23 of 25
28 May 2015 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
For the past 3 days I've settled into a kind of rhythm. Nice to have a pretty regular thing
going again. My exams are in less than a week and I'm spending around 4 hours on languages
a day and about.... 2 hours on studying. Maybe I should actually change that haha.
So for the past few days I've been listening constantly to this great podcast I found
called "Tea Time Club" on France Inter. There's a really broad range of topics which focus
around "l'intime" in life. There are at least two episodes about languages too :p
it's here if you wanna check it
out. Episodes are around 1 hour long. There are also a bunch of other podcasts somewhere on
that site.

I've also been watching around an hour and a half of Spongebob Schwammkopf in German a day.
I think one of the really nice things about learning a new language is that you kind of get
to experience your childhood again. It's a really nice feeling to be able to watch these
shows again and not feel like I'm wasting my time or something. I understand quite a lot,
sentences at a time sometimes. Certainly enough to follow along. I then spend around 20-30
minutes on the German subreddit on reddit. Every day I add 30 words to Anki. I might up
this a little, my reviews are around 120 a day and I blow through them in 10-15 minutes
after getting up in the morning. Nothing compared to the hell I went through with Core 6k
when I was "learning" Japanese.

I thought as a bit of fun I might outline my general goals for the rest of the year. Next
year I'll be going into Transition Year at school, which is pretty much the only good thing
in the Irish education system. We'll have a lot more freedom and support in teaching
ourselves skills, so I'll be taking full advantage of that!

I'm hoping that by the end of the summer I'll be able to read books like the Hunger Games
in German and follow along without a dictionary. Don't know how feasible that is. I'd like
to have perhaps a B1-mid B2 reading comprehension level by the end of the year and maybe B1
listening skills. At that point I'll probably start talking. Writing isn't a priority for
me in any of my languages, and I'd like to get my writing up to scratch in French before
concentrating on German. Assuming I learn 20 words a day until the 31st December (hoping to
do a lot more, but you never know), I should have around 4700 words in my deck. I know
words aren't everything, but it's a nice metric and easy to calculate. I'll almost
certainly change these vague goals later on, but I seem to be progressing smoothly even
without a clear target. I think my German goals might be a little pessimistic, I'm not
sure.

I love French. It's my favourite language, and the only one I've been able to raise to any
sort of fluency. I actually feel like French is a part of my life that I couldn't live
without, so I don't think I'll have any problems with it. I'll keep reading and listening
without needing to force myself. So no real goals here.

I want to learn Polish and Irish to a B1 level at some point. Polish because there's a huge
Polish immigrant community in Ireland and I have a lot of Polish friends whose
conversations I'd quite like to understand and take part in. Plus I like the way it sounds
:3 Irish because it's the national language of my country which I kind of feel obligated to
learn. I don't particularly like it right now, but hopefully I can change that. I've had a
good 10 years of schooling in it, but I am really not very good at it, mostly because it's
taught very badly here. Learning it would make my last few school years much much easier as
it's an obligatory subject.

I also would like to reactivate my dead Japanese passive skills (a very approximate B1, A0
active), as I love Japanese culture and it was the second language I tried to tackle after
French. I'm probably going to wait a few years for this, though. No rush.

I've done 3 years of Spanish at school and I get good grades in it. I'd put myself at maybe
a low A2. I've never studied it myself, but it's kind of a "low-hanging fruit" for me,
because of my French and the classes I've taken.

If I can learn all of these languages to some sort of fluency by the time I'm 20 (around
4.5 years) I'd be really happy with myself.

Edited by Lundrum on 28 May 2015 at 11:29pm

Files
Italy
Joined 3412 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 24 of 25
30 May 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi Lundrum!
I'm a new member and I found your log some minutes ago! I think your story is very interesting! I follow you in this
challenge!

Tomorrow I begin Assimil German (and others Assimil course languages) and I hope to do your own progress!
Keep hard and never give up! : ]

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version