Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 9 of 12
11 June 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies!

But please know that your log title doesn't make any sense in German...

You could either say "Das deutsche Faultier" or "Das Faultier der deutschen Sprache", but not "Das Faultier von Deutsch". That doesn't work at all.

Edited by Josquin on 11 June 2015 at 11:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

WalkingAlone88
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3407 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 12
11 June 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for pointing that out to me, Josquin. :)

I got very confused trying to express it and came up with three or four different variations, all of which were wrong. Still, I'm pleased to have it correct now.

Mini update seeing as I'm here.
I had a conversation on Skype yesterday with a friend, she was eager to hear about my holiday in Germany. However, she stated I had to speak entirely in German. I did my best and actually managed to speak entirely in German for just over an hour. I was quite pleased, obviously my German was far from perfect and I made copious mistakes, but she pointed them out to me so that I know what to focus on. So that's my mini achievement for the week :)
1 person has voted this message useful

WalkingAlone88
Joined 3407 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes

Message 11 of 12
13 June 2015 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
I was doing my usual Memrise reviews to catch up on the deficit I had amassed from my holiday, when I stumbled upon this:
"Our prototyping team has been hard at work designing new ways to help you strengthen your memories - audio tests, contextual tests, fill-in-the blank tests… lots of exciting stuff in the works!

One of the learn modes we’re most excited about is the use of very short, vine-like videos for testing how words are used in context. We’ve run a lot of experiments on the most effective and enjoyable way to do this, and we’re getting close to something magical."

I guess, it will probably be some time before this applies to languages besides English, though they did mention that once they have recorded some for English they'll begin working on other languages. This still sounds quite exciting to me, especially if this all remains free, which Memrise have always seemed keen on doing. For me, at least, I think this will definitely add new dimensions and help me a lot more in conjunction with my usual learn and review goals.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that as I know some people use it, and some have used it but have since stopped for whatever reason.

Back to my reviews :)
1 person has voted this message useful

WalkingAlone88
Joined 3407 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes

Message 12 of 12
21 June 2015 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, this month hasn't been as fruitful as I had initially hoped. I've had a lot of unforeseeable problems plague me throughout, most annoyingly has to be my internet provider. I have had so many problems with not having any connection at all, that I managed to persuade them to wave my bill for this month and the next month.

I hope to resume my previous routine shortly as supposedly my connection problems were fixed last night...for the last time.
I've almost finished watching all of Buffy now, and that'll allow me to return to season seven of Stargate. Yay!

I've also been keeping to my reader goal, and actually purchased some of the trickier readers from the same author, however I've yet to attempt them. I figured it'd be a nice bridge between my future goal of reading Percy Jackson/A series of unfortunate events/Harry Potter or even Warrior cats.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version