United States
Joined 3735 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Bulgarian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 1 of 2
04 June 2015 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
This is my second language log.

I want to record my progress in Korean and Japanese, and also work on my Bulgarian and Swedish.
These are languages that I really, really want to work on and achieve goals in. I hope that it will inspire myself and
others to keep trying to reach our goals! ^^ I am studying these languages on my own currently, without being in an
actual language class. However, I have done this before with success, so I have high hopes for these 16ish weeks of
summer self-study ^^.

Language Goals:

Korean:
I've been interested in Korean for three or four years now. Throughout these years, I have made many attempts to
learn, but have never truly given it enough time or attention to make much progress. This summer my first goal is to
be able to read and write hangul with ease. Although I have been working on hangul for a while, I still have a little
bit of trouble. I plan to study Korean three days a week.

My goals for each week:
(input)
- Read something in Korean
- Explore new grammar/vocabulary through the online "How to Study Korean"
- Learn 20 vocabulary words via Quizlet or by other means
- Pimsleur, Kdramas
(output)
- Read out loud, write things in Korean
- Do writing exercises
- Write an entry in Korean on Lang-8

Japanese:
I have been studying Japanese for about five years now. I took three years of it in high school, and took
a trip to Japan on the third year for two weeks during the summer. During the summer of my first year, I did a lot of
self-study. Two years ago, I changed schools and it was a challenge to keep up my Japanese studies. I took two
classes in Japanese at the Community College, but wasn't learning anything new. Currently, I am self-studying. My
biggest goal is to learn as much as I can this summer on my own before I go to University. At University, I will be
taking a more advanced class, depending on how well I do on the placement test (If I don't take the placement test,
my Community College credit will put me up to a level 200 course). I plan to study Japanese three days a week. I
have been stuck in the "intermediate" level for too long, so I hope to finally pull myself out of it and become a more
advanced Japanese speaker and writer.

My goals for each week:
(input)
- Read challenging Japanese text
- Review and learn new grammar/vocabulary from the "Genki" book
- Learn 20 vocabulary words via Quizlet or by other means
- Conversation with a real Japanese speaker
(output)
- Write an entry in Japanese on Lang-8
- Make a Youtube video of me speaking
- Conversation with a real Japanese speaker

Bulgarian:
I've been studying Bulgarian here and there for almost two years now. I find it to be a really fun and interesting
language, so I want to continue to study, even though it will usually only be briefly in between my Korean and
Japanese studies. I want to find something more motivating than the FSI course to learn Bulgarian, but until then I'm
going to continue where I left off.

My goals for each week:
(input)
- Listen to and read a part in the FSI course (until most vocabulary/phrases are known)
- Listen to Bulgarian media (I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows anything English subbed)
(output)
- Write down and repeat everything aloud from FSI course
- Write an occasional Lang-8 entry (probably not every week until I am more advanced)

Swedish:
I've been interested in Swedish forever, but never really focused on it much. This summer I plan to find more
resources to learn Swedish, but will start with podcasts and little things like that. I am going to try to continue with
the FSI course, but the only problem is that it gets very repetitive to have to listen to both Bulgarian and Swedish on
FSI. However, I really like FSI because it incorporates all the important things for language learning. I want to
continue to study Swedish, even though it will usually only be briefly in between my Korean and Japanese studies.

My goals for each week:
(input)
- Read various introductory courses OR listen to and read a part in the FSI course (until most vocabulary/phrases are
known)
- Listen to Swedish media, podcasts (I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows anything English subbed)
(output)
- Write down and repeat everything aloud from various introductory courses OR FSI course
- Write an occasional Lang-8 entry (probably not every week until I am more advanced)
1 person has voted this message useful

Techan
United States
Joined 3735 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Bulgarian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 2 of 2
13 June 2015 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Week 1 (6/7/15)

Korean:
-Transcribed a song
-Continued "How to Study Korean" lessons
-Read on LingQ
-Pimsluer
-Listened to Arirang Radio, finished up the drama "Emergency Couple"
-Reviewed some vocabulary

Overall update: I'm doing good with some basic Korean stuff, but I'm not yet to the point where I can write/type
hangul easily, making it difficult to write any entries on Lang-8. I am simply not ready to make that step yet. I will
try to make next week more writing intensive!

Swedish
-Took notes on part of the iTunes U Lund Swedish course
-Checked out the FSI Swedish course
-Read on LingQ
-Wrote in Swedish on Lang-8
-Learned a lot of new vocabulary

Overall update: I am totally in love with this language! It's much easier to pick up than the Asian languages, and it's
overall just really cool. I don't know if I will continue the FSI course. When I finish all of the Lund videos, I will
definitely consider it again. I just think it's amazing that I was able to write in Swedish so soon after beginning to
learn it... It's very motivating!!

Japanese:
-Read on LingQ
-Started reviewing in the "Genki" book
-Had two conversations in Japanese
-Wrote an entry in Japanese on Lang-8
-Made a video of me speaking in Japanese
-Listened to some Japanese radio + continued the drama "Nobunaga Concerto"

Overall update: I made a pretty big accomplishment this week in Japanese! I found a person who can regularly talk in
Japanese with me, so I'm sure I will get better!

Bulgarian:
-Watched "Bulgarian Language for Foreigners" 3rd and 4th lessons on youtube
-Created a study list of some important words and phrases I've gathered from various sources
-Wrote an entry in Bulgarian on Lang-8

Overall update: I'm actually doing pretty well with Bulgarian. Going over the grammar a second time with the
"Bulgarian Language for Foreigners" series on youtube has really helped me understand.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version