Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
mar_plij
United States
Joined 3431 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
22 June 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I only recently learned about Assimil, and decided to try it out on a language I had no investment in learning: Breton. I'd always wanted to learn a Celtic language, and my French is pretty good, so I tried out their Breton course (2005 edition, if that matters).

Currently I'm up to lesson 57, and frankly, I'm surprised I know as much as I do. There are still big gaps, but I recently got Colloquial Breton, which helps fill in some of the gaps in Assimil, and heaven help the person trying to learn Breton from CB alone.

I've tweaked Assimil's method into something a little meatier. Through the passive phase, I reviewed the previous 7 lessons a day, but moving into the active phase, I'm just focusing on the daily lesson, while trying to focus more on the audio to help reinforce the dialogues. I'm also giving Anki a go for the first time, but am completely redoing my flashcards now as I go through to clean them up and focus more on going from English to Breton.

While my language is still halting, it's slowly becoming less so and I'm able to communicate about more and more topics. It's a little hard restraining myself from trying to memorize huge verb charts (I just came out of learning Ancient Greek and Latin), so the "don't worry, we'll learn that later" approach of Assimil is a definite change of pace for me.

As for goals, speaking is pretty much out of the question for me, so reading and writing are my main goals. Compared to other languages I've studied, there's surprisingly little space for Breton. When I finish the course, I might try to create more content for the language, maybe simple Wikipedia articles where they don't already exist or something similar, just so I can put it to use before moving onto the next language.

I'll likely post every week or two to help keep myself on a schedule. Tips and strategies from others who have taken on Breton (or perhaps other Celtic languages) are certainly welcome.

Ken bremaik!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 3
22 June 2015 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
I'm glad you can Breton. I cannot anymore.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3786 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 3
22 June 2015 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Nice.
I'm currently studying "Brezoneg Beo" (Le breton par les ondes) by Visant Seité, and really enjoy it. It's an old textbook (reprinted) with an old orthography, but I like the audio track and the grammatical approach that is very clear (except on the mutations, but the author also wrote a book especially dedicated to that subject that I'll read later: in fact Brezoneg Beo is in 3 volumes, the 1st volume being especially focused on the verb "to be" and all its forms).
Another problem of that book is that the exercices are not corrected, I prefer to say it, in case someone would be interested.
I've choosen it after reading that thread, an interesting discussion in which users give their point of view on different textbooks.

Edited by Arnaud25 on 22 June 2015 at 8:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version