Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Rotasu
United States
Joined 3505 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 7
22 March 2015 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
I don't know how to really start one of these language learning logs. I'm just hoping that if
I start one, I will form a habit of always studying. I will maybe come back and add background
information about my reasons for learning Japanese and how I got started. Very long with a lot
of quitting and restarting. Right now, going all the way back to the beginning.

Background:
EDIT: 1
(I have bad memory so I’m can't be sure on when stuff happened xD)
ーHigh School
After spending every morning on the school’s computers reading manga, I decided, “I’m tired
of seeing these badly translated English sentences. I would rather read from the original
source!”
So I googled around, some how found a site that said, “First thing you go to do is learn
Hiragana and Katakana.” So I did. I would spend my free time on Quizlet, studying Hiragana ->
Rōmaji and then Katakana -> Rōmaji. I remember at one point having had memorized all the kana
for Hira/Kata. At some point I quit that.

ーHigh School - Before College
I blame fan fiction for distracting me. I think this is around that time, I found
archiveofourown, after only having fanfiction.net has my go-to website for stories. Once I
was off the high of AO3, I gave 日本語 another shot. Relearned Hira/Kata. Googled again on how
to learn and found, “If you want to read Japanese, you need to start with kanjis.” So I
found RTK. Way to lazy to do the writing but was willing to study them in recognition mode.

At some point after, I found Anki. I held on to that cancer stick for so long. Would always
tell myself I would quit but then the next day, I would be adding more words/sentences into my
Core/Kore deck. Or reviewing Kanji. Had so many burnouts that I again, googled around and
found “You need a beginner textbook.” So I picked Genki.

But after studying so many Kanji and words, I noticed in Genki that the first few chapters
were all hiragana. Even if the words weren’t normally written all in hiragana, no kanji. It
is only at Chapter 3, I think, where they introduce Kanji but even then it was only a few and
almost everything was still in hiragana. I felt like I wasn't learning real Japanese so I drop
it. Googled around again. Found, “Tae Kim is better than any Japanese textbook and FREE.” So
I tried.

Was going good too. Read each chapter. Practicing. Shoving it into Anki to study. At some
point, heard, “You need to output more than input. Try lang-8.” So I did. What ever high I
was on got stopped quick when I found out through people correcting my entries, that Tae Kim
was teaching causal ‘speech’ and that written Japanese, such as books and newspapers, were
written in polite Japanese. At this time, I only cared about learning what I need in order to
read Japanese. So that finding this out, sucked. Another quit.

I went on with my life but continue to google, “how to learn japanese” and “how to read
japanese quickly” without actually doing anything that I found.

ーCollege:
TBA

Week 3/15/15 - 3/21/2015:
ーみんなの日本語 I: 第2課
ーJA Sensei:0/7

Weekly Goals:
ー1 Chapter of みんなの日本語 I
ーSpend time on Kanjis from みんなの日本語 each day
ーTry to listen to JapanesePod101 Nihongo Dojo
ーReview Vocabulary

Things I have tried and quit:
ーAnki 
ーCore/Kore
ーTae Kim (may go back to after MNN)
ーGenki

Main Goal:
ーFinish みんなの日本語 I

Will try an update here every Sunday.

Edited by Rotasu on 23 March 2015 at 8:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 2 of 7
22 March 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with the Japanese.

It's good to see someone using みんなの日本語. There's a lot of goodness packed in there!

Rotasu
United States
Joined 3505 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 7
23 March 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Good luck with the Japanese.

It's good to see someone using みんなの日本語. There's a lot of goodness packed in there!

Thank you! Im glad you messaged here. You were one of my reasons for picking みんなの日本語 and
starting this log, after had read through your own log xD .

I have always wondered how you could stand listening to JPOD101's lessons with the amount of
English in them(and the very bad jokes @-@). I'm thinking on trying to listen to the lessons a
few times and then listen to the dialogs only.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 4 of 7
23 March 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Rotasu wrote:

Thank you! Im glad you messaged here. You were one of my reasons for picking みんなの日本語 and
starting this log, after had read through your own log xD .

Wow. No pressure on me then :-) I hope you like MNN. I've now moved on to the Intermediate textbooks with my tutor, and I like
those even more. I'm not sure how they relate to JLPT levels, but by the first two probably get you near N4 and the Intermediate
two probably get you to somewhere near N2.

Rotasu wrote:
I have always wondered how you could stand listening to JPOD101's lessons with the amount of
English in them(and the very bad jokes @-@). I'm thinking on trying to listen to the lessons a
few times and then listen to the dialogs only.

The beginner level stuff is almost all English, but when I was at that level I was OK with the crutch. I found I could tune out
the bad jokes and the occasional marketing. I did move on to just the dialogs once I thought I couldn't get any more out of the
lessons themselves. Also, I'm listening during the commute to work, so it was either this or commercial radio stations :-)

Lower Intermediate is maybe 50/50. Again, at the time it was about the limit of my understanding. I got to the dialog-only stage
somewhat more quickly. Now I'm working through the Upper Intermediate stuff. They do dive into English explanations a few times,
but it feels as though the bulk of the talking is in Japanese only or Japanese with a word or two of English in the middle of a
sentence. The jokes are still there but now are almost entirely in Japanese ... even Peter's apologies are all Japanese :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Rotasu
United States
Joined 3505 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 7
30 March 2015 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Week 3/22/15 - 3/29/2015:
ーみんなの日本語 I: 第3課
ーJapanesepod101:Newbie Season 2
ーMemrise: 46 words

Very bad week for me but was able to keep my goal of doing one lesson a week. I like that in
MNN after Lesson 3 there is like a review exercise of all that you have learned so far.

Testing to see if I will keep using Memrise. I only want to use it to keep track of all the
words I type up when learn from JPOD101 and MNN. I'm will be making my own courses. As of
right now, It just vocabulary and kana.

I'm also trying out typing my JP notebook rather than handwriting it. This is easier for me
because I have decided not to finish RTK. I learn kanji better when I first see them in a
word.

Its hard to know when to move on from each Season in JPOD101. Reading the dialog, I understand
80% but my listening is about 60%. I get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again
and still not picking up what is being said. Listening is what I struggle in most.

Edited by Rotasu on 05 April 2015 at 6:00pm

Rotasu
United States
Joined 3505 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 6 of 7
05 April 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Week 3/30/15 - 4/5/2015:
ーみんなの日本語 I: 第4課
ーMemrise: Kana and Kanji Radicals

Change to weekly Goals:
Weekly Goals:
-1 Lesson in Notebook
-5-7 Read to Japanes a day
-5-7 Listen to Japanese a day
-5-7 Study Kana and Kanji Radicals

I think for JPOD101, I'm just going to try to listen to the lesson while I'm adding it to my
notebook and then just listen to the dialog on my Ipod. The only problem may be that some of
the lesson are kind of long xD

I'll mostly be reading from LingQ Beginner 2 course. I couldn't start from Beginner1 because
there are almost no Kanji in them :( I also have Japanese Graded Reader level 1. The biggest
struggles I have with studying is having the time to write in my notebook and not stopping
until I'm done xD

Rotasu
United States
Joined 3505 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 7
15 April 2015 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Week 4/6/15 - 4/12/2015:
ーみんなの日本語 I: 第5課

Weekly Goals:
-1 Lesson in Notebook Done!
-5-7 Read to Japanes a day Done!
-5-7 Listen to Japanese a day Done!
-5-7 Study Kana and Kanji Done!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version