Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 1 of 10
23 March 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
OK, let's try this again. Last year, I declared my intention to refresh my Esperanto, but as usual life got in the way and I never got anywhere. This year, I've decided I need to focus on my French. I can't promise I won't have a sordid affair with Esperanto, but I am determined to finally make progress in French.

I frequently encounter more reasons and motivation to focus on my French (it being the practical choice for a Canadian). Most recently, this came in the form of a very rude woman, who came into my workplace (a gas station) and, when she realised I couldn't speak French, suggested that I should not be working in this French neighbourhood. The experience was rather upsetting to me. While I think she is wrong and unfairly anti-Anglo-Canadian, the incident was just one more reminder of my failings as a French-Canadian. It's embarassing, and I want to rectify it.

I don't really have time for language study right now, working two jobs and going to school (again), so I'm going to take it easy. I usually burn out quickly, so I want to keep that from happening again. For now, I'm starting with a review of Michel Thomas. I've completed the Speak French for Beginners program before, so it's pretty easy review. Next I'm going to continue on with the Speak French Language Booster and Speak French Vocabulary Booster, and then we'll see where I go from there. In addition, I'm hoping that my French-speaking coworkers will be willing to help me out during idle moments at work.

Study times so far (in the format hh:mm)

March 22, 2014: 1:00 (Speak French for Beginners disc 1)
March 23, 2014: 1:03 (Speak French for Beginners disc 2)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 2 of 10
24 March 2014 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
OK, I have to update that March 23 amount. See, this is probably why I get burned out so fast. I just get SO EXCITED when I start, and it isn't sustainable. I need to take it easy and find a sustainable pace. (But still. It's so fun at this stage.)

March 23, 2014: about 3 hours (Speak French for Beginners discs 2 and 3, and Basics 1 and Basics 2 on Duolingo)

My best friend invited me to Duolingo. It is so addictive! Nothing like gamification to make me spend a ridiculous amount of time on something. And while I already knew pretty much everything in these first two "skills", there are quite a few of them, and it looks like I could learn a lot.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 3 of 10
27 March 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
March 24, 2014: 1:15 (Speak French for Beginners disc 4 and some Duolingo)
March 25, 2014: 1:30 (Speak French for Beginners disc 5 and some Duolingo)

Things are still going swimmingly. Also, I've started tracking my study time on Daytum, which is fun. I'm even breaking it down there by activity, eg. Michel Thomas, Duolingo, and eventually other things.

Today I signed up for the Learning Based Challenge with the following goals:
1) Complete Michel Thomas Speak French Language Booster
2) 10 more skills in Duolingo
3) Add to Anki all the words I don't know from a French children's book I got from the library (Pétunia, princesse des pets)

I'm on track to finish Speak French for Beginners by the end of March. So I think these goals should be challenging but achievable!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 4 of 10
01 April 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
It's time to start the Learning Based Challenge! But first, my study times for the last bit of March:

March 26: 0:35 (Duolingo)
March 27: 1:20 (Speak French for Beginners disc 6 and Duolingo)
March 28: 1:27 (Speak French for Beginners disc 7 and Duolingo)
March 29: 0:20 (Duolingo)
March 30: 0:10 (Duolingo)
March 31: 0:10 (Duolingo)

So, the last couple days slowed down a bit, but even when I had practically no time I couldn't bear to break my streak on Duolingo! Today'll make 10 days straight!

OK, so onto the challenge. One of my goals was to complete Speak French Language Booster, but I haven't quite finished Speak French for Beginners yet, so that's my first order of business. I'll do disc 8 today, and then all that's left is the two review discs.

As for Duolingo, my challenge progress has already begun. I just learned the skill Clothing!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 5 of 10
04 April 2014 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Study times:

April 1: 1:00 (half an hour of Duolingo, and half an hour of listening to French music while reading the lyrics and looking up the words I don't know)
April 2: 2:50 (45 minutes of Duolingo, and I watched Mrs. Doubtfire in French)
April 3: 2:02 (Speak French for Beginners disc 8 and lots of Duolingo)

Learning Based Challenge progress:

1) Complete Michel Thomas Speak French Language Booster - Haven't started Language Booster yet, but I'm now done Speak French for Beginners other than the review discs.
2) 10 more skills in Duolingo - Half done! In the last 3 days I've completed the following skills: Clothing, Colours, Verbs: Present 1, Questions, and Verbs: Present 2.
3) Add to Anki all the words I don't know from a French children's book I got from the library (Pétunia, princesse des pets) - I haven't started entering words in Anki, but I've started reading the book and looking up words I don't know. The first page was easy! I've read most of the second page, which has lots of unfamiliar words on it. The book has a total of 15 pages with text on them.

In other news, Mrs. Doubtfire in French was an interesting experience! It's hard to tell how much I learned, but my head hurt a lot afterwards, so I think that means I was learning. :) I'm quite excited for the Super Challenge, now! A lot of my DVDs have French audio as an option, so I'll be able to watch some of my favourites. I like that, because I can still follow the plot since I know it so well.

Oh, and just when I was thinking that I could pick up more if I had French audio and French subtitles, I discovered that those are independently translated from the English, so they don't even remotely match each other. :( So, just audio it is!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 6 of 10
18 April 2014 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Study times:

April 4: 0:10 (Duolingo)
April 5: 0:10 (Duolingo)
April 6: 1:20 (about an hour of adding sentences to Anki and reviewing them, and some Duolingo)
nada... (that I remembered to record, at least)
April 16: 1:00 (Michel Thomas Speak French for Beginners review disc 1)

I missed a day on Duolingo for the first time, breaking my streak, which was very upsetting, and it totally threw me off. Also, school and work are insane right now, so there's that.

I still have to do the last hour of review of Michel Thomas before I can even start my actual goal of completing Speak French Language Booster. And I'm way behind in my children's book. But at least my Duolingo goal is still looking good!

In other news, I've signed up for the Super Challenge! From May 2014 to December 2015 I plan to watch 100 movies in French and read 100 books in French (where a book is 50 pages). I'm really looking forward to that!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 10
18 April 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I noticed a 10 day lapse after a bout with Anki. That suggests Anki is not your friend and should be avoided. Anki is not necessary.

Bonne chance mon amie!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 8 of 10
12 May 2014 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I noticed a 10 day lapse after a bout with Anki. That suggests Anki is not your friend and should be avoided. Anki is not necessary.

Bonne chance mon amie!

I'm not sure it was Anki that caused me to lapse. In general my schedule is just insane and not very conducive to regular study.

In the past, I've really enjoyed using Anki. For some reason I'm just having trouble getting into it lately. I keep forgetting about it. So I won't give up on it, but nor am I depending on it. :)

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version