Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4911 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 9 of 10
12 May 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Soooo, my Learning Based Challenge was not entirely successful. An exam in late April and just life in general sort of got in the way. I ended up completing 8 out of 10 Duolingo skills (and strengthening a few that had started to weaken), completing Michel Thomas Speak French for Beginners but not even started the Language Booster, and getting through only a few pages of my French children's book. I'm going to continue working on all three of these areas.

But more excitingly right now, the Language Super Challenge has begun! I've signed up to watch 100 movies (where a movie = 90 minutes) and read 100 books (where a book = 50 pages) in French by the end of 2015. Since I'm starting at a low level (maybe A1), I'm starting with the movies, with a focus on movies that I'm already familiar with in English. This makes it enjoyable, because I can still follow along with the story even when I can't understand the words, and I pick up new words more easily.

So far, I'm doing quite well! We're only 12 days in, and I've watched 7 movies, as counted by the challenge bot according to length. In actuality, that's 4 longer movies (the first 4 Harry Potter movies) and 2 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I do feel like I'm picking up some things, not even just words but ways of saying things that are different from English. So I'm really starting to think this challenge could make a big difference in my French abilities! Also, after each movie/episode, my head really hurts. I'm choosing to assume that means I'm learning. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 10
15 May 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I just stumbled across your log, and it's interesting to read as I'm studying French for the SC as well:
here's my record.

What are you planning to do for the reading portion? If you look at my log, you can see that I'm reading a
lot of children's books for Hindi, since my Hindi reading is pretty week. I'm basically logging one page
for every 5 pages of the book (so a 15 page book gets logged as 3 pages of reading).
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version