Studies: German

Message 1 of 8
31 December 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Team:
Schnitzel

Language:
German

Introduction and Goals:
I am currently an exchange student in Austria right now and am staying here till
summer. My German is currently around an A2 level. I am better at listening and
reading than at speaking. My goal is to be around a solid B2 level before leaving and
getting to a C1 level at the end of the year.

Plan:
I am going to add at least 10 anki cards to my deck, read at least 10 pages, and listen
to a couple podcasts or youtube videos everyday. On top of this, I will be going to
school which is all in German. I am living with a host family and we talk everyday in
German and watch TV.

1 person has voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4301 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: Czech

Message 2 of 8
31 December 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi, team mate! I wish the best with your studies. Achieving a C1 level on the basis of an A2 within just a year period is hard. However, I think the conditions you have right now are the best in order to success. Also, your future routine of study seems very reasonable and healthy.

Viel Glück!

TheSeaWolf
United States
Joined 4402 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 8
31 December 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Danke schön. It will be hard, but since I am in full immersion for 6 months, I should
hopefully be successful. I just took a test on BBC's website that I found on Elsinore's
blog. Here are the results for the Intermediate test:

Overall: 80%
Reading 100%
Writing 57%
Listening 79%
Speaking 84%

TheSeaWolf
United States
Joined 4402 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 4 of 8
06 January 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Diese Woche habe ich 45 Seiten von "Der kleine Hobbit" gelesen und habe Battleship und
The Cabin in the Woods auf Deutsch angeschaut. Ich habe zu 51 minuten von verschieden
Podcasts zugehört. Ich bin auf Seite 390 in "Der Kleine Hobbit" und habe ungefähr 70
Seiten übrig. Hoffentlich werde ich fertig in einer Woche mit dem Buch. Ich hoffe, dass
ich den Film im Kino anschauen kann. Vielleicht am Samstag. Mein nächstes Buch wirt "Der
Vorleser".    

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 8
06 January 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I was about to give you a wake up call and now you're going ahead of me, immersion aside - good, keep it up!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4412 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 6 of 8
14 January 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Hi SeaWolf. Lucky you to be doing in-country immersion! I just read a book for older children (10+) that had a glossary in the back with Austrian words and their standard German equivalent. It was funny and not too difficult (and not too childish). The author was Christine Nöstlinger and apparently she's a pretty prolific Austrian writer of children's books. Might be of interest to you if you have the time to spare and the desire to do some light reading. I am about a B1 level, so a book like that would probably work for you if you're ever finding normal adult books too overwhelming.

TheSeaWolf
United States
Joined 4402 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 7 of 8
05 February 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
@BAnna Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for those books at the library. I
think those would be quite helpful.

Summary of January:

I finished reading Der Hobbit. I could understand most of what was going on without
translating and I only needed to translate a couple words a page to fully understand.
I have started reading "Die Saat"(The Strain) by Guillermo del Toro. It is about a
virus that infects New York City and turns people into vampires. It is a tad bit more
difficult than Der Hobbit.

I have given up on Anki and just reviewing vocab as it comes up. I have tried using
anki a bunch of times, but it gets boring for me after a while and I give up. It is
good at first, but it loses its effectiveness after a while.

I have been listening to Schlaflos in München and Slow German podcasts. I have also
started listening to STS and Hubert von Goisern. Both are really good Austrian bands.

TheSeaWolf
United States
Joined 4402 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 8 of 8
31 July 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I have been really bad at keeping up with this log. Es tut mir leid! I have been
recently learning vocab this last week using Iversen's word list method. I am writing
down words that I don't know from "Wolfsblut" (White fang) as I read. The word lists
work really well for me and can I memorize words with ease. Also, I have been watching a
couple Let's Plays on youtube in German to help with listening. I am back in the U.S.
now and will be going to university in the fall. I hope to enroll in a German class
there to continue my studies.

I have been dabbling with Russian and think it might be the next language I study.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version