Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6003 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 73 of 206
17 January 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement, ChiaBrain, and I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

I don't know that I have a very good answer to your question; what I can say is that I did Pimlseur and then MT, and this worked out great for me. Having said that, however, when I tried doing the same for German, I was finding that for some reason I couldn't remember the words as easily with Pimsleur, so after a couple of lessons I switched over to MT with much better results.

If I had to do my Italian over, I would study Pimsleur first, but in conjunction with some sort of written work. I think that MT can be done first with no problems, but with the caveat that you may as a result find Pimsleur even more boring than I did. Pimsleur is notorious for getting dull and repetitive (especially in Pimlseur II), and I imagine that this would be worsened if you already know some of what you are being taught.

Final assessment, though: I think I benefited a lot from doing both, and think that other language learners should do the same

Good luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ninja Bunny
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5632 days ago

42 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Afrikaans, Greek, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French

Message 74 of 206
17 January 2009 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
This is a marvelous log!

I self-studied through a first year book and decided to test my newfound chops on "Il mistero del cane," an Italian children's book geared for readers ten-years-old and up. I opened it up and within the first paragraph I discovered...that I was NOT smarter than a fifth grader. Sigh. But I will keep trying and I find your own learning adventure inspiring!

Cheers!

Edited by Ninja Bunny on 18 January 2009 at 4:43pm

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6003 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 75 of 206
18 January 2009 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Ninja Bunny. As you can tell by reading my blog, I get disappointed quite a bit too. (but then again, I also get excited!)

The way I see it, all we can do is identify correct things to do and do them with the faith that it will pay off at some point. We can't estimate when that payoff will occur. Sure, we need to re-evaluate whatever plan we're using, but once it's time to implement it, we need to do so with perfect faith... until the next re-evaluation.

Besides... Italian may be an "easy" language, but if it were really easy, everyone would know it.

Good luck with your studies!

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5648 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 76 of 206
18 January 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
neonqwerty wrote:
As you can tell by reading my blog, I get disappointed quite a bit
too. (but then again, I also get excited!)

The same thing happens to me, thats why reading your log has been a big help.

You really "hit the nail on the head" in your comparison of Pimsleur and Michel Thomas
for me:

Pimsleur is more of the "raw data": phrases and sentences rendered by native
speakers and broken down into sounds to be repeated by the user. (I've only done the
first two CDs)

Michel Thomas delves into the "structure" of the language and has you think to
formulate your own sentences (e.g.: "How would you say 'I would do it for you today
but I can't as I will be very busy'?")

I agree that they compliment each other well. True after doing CDs 1 - 4 of MT the
first 2 Pimsleurs seem boring and basic but they are good practice as I do other
things whereas with MT it seems is more important to pay closer attention.

Biggest drawback for both is the lack written materials. Fortunately I found
transcripts of MT online. I'm also thinking of complimenting with Assimil (they dont
have that for free at the library though). Have you checked out LingQ?

Edited by ChiaBrain on 18 January 2009 at 12:43pm

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6003 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 77 of 206
18 January 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
ChiaBrain wrote:

Biggest drawback for both is the lack written materials. Fortunately I found
transcripts of MT online. I'm also thinking of complimenting with Assimil (they dont
have that for free at the library though). Have you checked out LingQ?
Not only have I not checked it out, I don't even know what it is! ;)

The very brief look I've had at Assimil makes me think that it's not really for me... But let me know what you think of it if you give it a shot.

----------
Today I did the fourth Michel Thomas CD (over an hour, I assume), and wow did it kill me. The subjunctive tense is no joke. I'm going to listen to the CD again, and will probably still nto be totally comfortable with it... but nonetheless, I will not listen to it for a third time anytime soon. At the very least I will be able to identify written instances of the subjunctive, and that's good enough for me at this point. But today really felt like another world of language learning... It's as though a voice was telling me: "Ok, you've learned a bunch of simple, cute stuff. Now you need to learn this if you *really* want to speak Italian."

Still, satisfied with what I did today. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5648 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 78 of 206
19 January 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I remember my Spanish and French professor back in high-school used to warn me all the
time: "The Subjunctive! Wait till we get to that!"

My friend's Italian grandmother who taught languages: "...the Subjunctive!"

It all makes the Subjunctive feel like this Limbo of the hypothetical and abstract
that aspiring linguists fear to tread!

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6003 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 79 of 206
20 January 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
The thing with the subjunctive is that I'm not totally sure when to use it unless I am speaking or thinking in French. Technically, it's actually relatively easy... maybe it's because it came at the end of the course, maybe because at that point MT was getting much less colloquial in his teaching style, I don't know.

But I'm going to do it again today! :-D

Yesterday I spent an hour transcribing "missed" vocabulary words into online software for later review, and in doing so was studying them a bit.

Today I want to put the nail in the MT Advanced coffin.

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6003 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 80 of 206
20 January 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Mission accomplished. Reviewed CD#4 today, and wow did it seem much easier!

I can honestly say that the subjunctive is nothing to fear! :) It requires work and some memorization, but it's actually pretty straightforward the second time though.

At this point I can recognize it, and when I eventually get to studying it "formally" with a grammar book, I'll feel much more confident.

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version