Javi
Spain
Joined 5931 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 17 of 24
08 December 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
In my Spanish class, my teacher gave us the following mnemonic device to remember when to use the imperfect:

Descriptions
Emotions
Habitual Actions
Continuous Actions
Ongoing Actions
Weather

(Notice how it spells "DEATHCOW")

In the preterite, "saber" meant to have found out and in the imperfect it means to have known:
Supe que habrá una fiesta mañana. = I found out that there will be a party tomorrow.
Ya lo sabía. = I already knew that.

You'd better learn through examples rather than rules, and some of those are useless anyway. You cannot sit down to write an essay or an e-mail and start thinking of rules, even less if you have to speak.
1 person has voted this message useful

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5873 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 18 of 24
08 December 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Listening to how native speakers use it is a good way to get to grips with this tense. I sometimes still think of MT's, 'line in the past, broken line in the past versus the dot past' explanation.

Definitely use it to express used to/would past and anything that implies 'before' refering to a period when things were different than they are now or an elongated time period in the past.

Here in Mexico I've only really heard supe used to mean I found out or more commonly the verb enterarse (not to be confused with enterrarse!) and sabía for everything else.

Something worth studying in great detail is the difference between ser and estar - books have been written on the subject!

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6101 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 19 of 24
11 December 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
In my Spanish class, my teacher gave us the following mnemonic device to remember when to use the imperfect:

Weather

I wouldn't use this mnemonic as the pretérito is also used for weather expressions.

"Hizo sol."

Also, some recurring actions use the pretérito. E.g.

"El hombre la miró un par de veces."

Edited by DaraghM on 11 December 2008 at 9:07am

samfrances
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4002 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 24
10 November 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
It sounds from this discussion as if there isn't really a conceptual "key" from which the individual use cases follow. Or at least, not one that can be formulated in terms that are useful for the language learner.

So do you just have to learn the individual use cases, read/listen a lot and hope you get a "feel" for the distinction?

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4240 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 21 of 24
11 November 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
With weather, I cannot remember having heard <<Hizo sol>>, because that indicates that
the sun was out for a definite moment, but the weather expressions like those are
usually in the imperfect because they are utiilised as a description of what was
occurring when another event (pretérito indefinido) succeeded, i.e. <<Hacía sol cuando,
de repente, se puso a llover>>. So the only way wherein one can use <<Hizo sol>> es
something like, <<Entre las 14h50 y 17h20, hizo sol>>, with clear indications of a
strict time frame, which in general in any language that sounds like only a
meterologist would talk like that.

There was a documentary that I watched a while ago, v=UQSZ1l1Z-ys">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSZ1l1Z-ys, that was titled, <La
Mujer que Supo Reinventarse>, which does not mean the exact same as "found out" like,
"I found out that the report was delayed" or something, but rather to "find a way to"
as one distinct moment in the past disconnected from events in the future. So, "A woman
who found a way to reinvent herself" probably fits better.

The imperfecto/pretérito indefinido took me more time than mastering the subjunctive; I
think it requires a heavy amount of practise and reading to acquaint oneself. Any event
occurring a countable amount of times in the past and never occurring again in the
present or future usually is pretérito indefinido.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 11 November 2013 at 2:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4618 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 22 of 24
11 November 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
In European Spanish, many times imperfect is used in the newscast register where preterit would be used in used in speech:

(A tv host showing a photo): ''La Jeep Fan Foto de la semana, nos la enviaba Rafa, ganador del Jeep Adventure Weekend.''

in speech: ''La Jeep Fan Foto de la semana, nos la envio /nos la ha enviado Rafa, ganador del Jeep Adventure Weekend.''

Edited by Medulin on 11 November 2013 at 2:46am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4240 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 23 of 24
11 November 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
The former does not make much sense to me, but the
presente de perfecto, which is used in both speech and writing in Spain, is used instead
of the pretérito indefinido that is used by those in Hispanoamerica. But the imperfecto
has a completely different meaning.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 11 November 2013 at 3:49am

Javi
Spain
Joined 5931 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 24
15 November 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Well, just for future reference, I don't think there's anything unusual about "hizo sol". As far as I am concerned it's everyday language. On the other hand the examples that Medulin brought here belong indeed to the language of journalists and no one would use them in normal conversation.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version