Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6726 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 233 of 244
14 December 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Hai guise, do you have any idea how to filter youtube for Italian language things? I tried to set the language there, but it seems the videos are not tagged with language information or anything. Which makes it kind of lame, having a huge library of content, but you have to know what it's called to get at it, can't just browse by language.

Or am I wrong?

Edited by numerodix on 14 December 2009 at 7:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5852 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 234 of 244
16 December 2009 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much Staf, that sounds like an interesting read - I loves me some Greek tragedy :-) Since sharing small parts of books is alright without violating copyright laws, at least it was last time I checked (5% I believe), it should be ok. I'll PM you. Thanks!

Martin, as far as I know you can't filter for language on Youtube. You can change the language of the site itself, but that's the only thing as far as I know. But if you start with the name of something you know that's in Italian then you can look for related videos and videos uploaded by the same user, things in Italian tend to have been uploaded by Italian-speaking users who also upload other stuff in Italian that they like, which you might also like if you liked the first thing, so that might help you find stuff. I've certainly struck gold several times just looking through the related videos box.

Loving the iphone apps, I got La Divina Commedia yesterday - just like that, for free, one click and that's it, there you go, the full text right there on your phone - it even looks fabulous design-wise. It still amazes me that all this is possible. Anyway, today during lecture I seriously pondered taking my phone out and reading some Dante instead of paying attention, I don't usually do that sort of thing but the phone's brand new and I was dead tired (borderline falling asleep type tired, and I never fall asleep in class) and even the lecturer admitted at the end of the lecture which was the last of a series of lectures on the same subject that yes, this subject is actually kinda boring. (I actually kinda disagree, but nevermind.) I'd already been over it with a group before the class so it would've been fine to just chill out with a good book, but I didn't end up doing it. One of the disadvantages of sitting close to the front of the classroom is that everyone can see you. I'll need to be careful that having everything so easily available doesn't become a distraction, but it is kinda nice to be able to use it when I have a free moment here and there with nothing to do - waiting for the bus comes to mind. Now I just need to go find more Italian-related stuff, and more of everything else I plan to use it for. Endless potential here, it seems.

I'm actually looking forward to going back home for Christmas, because that means I get to drive a car again, which means - oh yes - that I can sing at full volume without worrying about being heard. I can't help it, honest, it's genetic - father's side of the family, plenty of car-singers. Too bad distances are short - you can't really get in more than a song or three before you've reached your destination. But it'll be a nice break, I can't really sing or speak Italian uninhibitedly anywhere, not even at home because of the neighbours, so this will probably be a good thing for my Italian, and fun too.

Liz

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5852 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 235 of 244
18 December 2009 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I have once again done that stupid thing I know I shouldn't do - namely, listen to music in languages I'm
interested in other than Italian. My punishment is the same as usual: I now feel inspired to study/revive
Hungarian, Estonian, Hebrew, Portuguese, Greek, Icelandic, Finnish and - almost - French (which I totally
don't even like. Yikes!). Problem. Eyes on the prize, Liz - focus...

Read parts of La Divina Commedia on the plane yesterday, showed it to my parents too when they got their
grand tour of the iPhone (by request). In some ways I think they still haven't fully realized that I'm actually
studying languages seriously - probably because it rarely comes up in conversation. Mum asked me about
my Greek - a well-deserved reminder of how much I've forgotten. I doubt if I'll study it again though.
Interestingly, it's the one language I could use the most, and I'd certainly have plenty of opportunities to
practice, but it's not going to happen.

Also found iPhone apps for La Stampa and l'Internazionale, the former of which has these really short audio
news things several times a day - and boy did they talk fast. I was happy to find that that wasn't an obstacle
at all - listening practice win. Occasionally I'd miss a word, because I didn't know the word, not because I
couldn't register what they were saying properly. I'll keep using it for practice when I have a free moment -
they were literally just over a minute long.

Liz

Edited by Lizzern on 18 December 2009 at 1:58am

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6726 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 236 of 244
18 December 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Not liking French pah, now you're just talking crazy.

It seems my log inadvertently slipped into the "too long to want to read" category. I used to be a total noob here and I wouldn't even read past the first few posts in a thread that turned out to be tens of pages long, too much to handle. I think when I started you had about 11 pages? Or was it 8? Not sure. Seems like only yesterday. Now look at us. People must think we're crazy.

Glad to hear the listening is working for you; I've been on a heavy dose of tv lately and last night I was disappointed at how unproblematic Gilmore Girls was.

Edited by numerodix on 18 December 2009 at 10:55am

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5852 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 237 of 244
23 December 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
I guess all this really is kinda crazy when you think about it... A 30-page log is just weird. Anyway, I'm still reading your log and I'm sure other people do too (just look at the Views counter, macca), we're just not posting, for no particular reason in my case. In a way it feels a bit like invading somebody else's personal space when I post in their logs, even though I don't feel that way at all when people post in mine.

Anyway, at this point I'm not sure how much more I'll write here, in large part because of some fundamental disagreements about the boundaries of acceptable tone on this forum, an issue that recently took a surprising new turn. It has been emphasized again and again that if you don't like it you can just leave, so I have to consider that option at this stage. I'll be mostly absent over Christmas and New Years anyway, so I'll take this as a time-out to think it over, then we'll see what happens. If any of the mods edit this post for whatever reason, I will not post here again. If so, thank you for reading, and I wish you all the very best.

In other news, it's been 8 months since I started studying Italian, so I guess I should come up with something pithy to write as a progress report. Not feeling inspired today, and there's little point in simply summarising, but at least I can say that I feel like the remaining issues that need to be sorted out to get my Italian up to an acceptable standard are sorting themselves out one by one. I just need to keep going, one foot in front of the other, and I'll get there eventually. Then, beyond the acceptable and onto ownage.

I probably won't post again before Christmas, so wishing you all a peaceful time over the break, and a happy new year.

Liz

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 238 of 244
23 December 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
I really hope to see you back

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6726 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 239 of 244
26 December 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Needless to say you'll be missed if you leave. But if that's what you have to do, then bon voyage. And I wish you a great time in Italy!

densou
Italy
foto.webalice.it/denRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6075 days ago

120 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 240 of 244
13 January 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Lizzern]Liz'

See you soon =)

This discussion contains 244 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version