Message 89 of 149
12 March 2009 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Suriya wrote:
jbbar wrote:
Suriya wrote:
jbbar wrote:
Suriya wrote:
jbbar wrote:
By the way, some people would argue that I'm being eurocentric in my suggestions. I disagree. The reality is that "European" languages are simply the most useful ones from a global perspective. So it's simply a matter of being realistic - not "eurocentric." Hindi, Persian, Korean, etc are all awesome languages but really not a must on a global level. Then again they may be indespensible for others, e.g. intelligence services or those who have strong ties with the countries where these languages are spoken. Context is everything.

jbbar

Oh you'd find that in most part of the Asia continent European languages are just as useful as a hammer made of blueberry cheese cake. Even English can hardly get you anywhere in some countries.

Precisely what countries are you speaking of? If English is useless in the countries you're speaking of (please give us some examples) then I suppose it is due to a lack of proper education. It is up to those countries to change that.

Japan, to start with?
China, although millions of people eager to learn English but the number of speakers is still quite low.
Thailand, outside Bangkok and some big towns it's just not useful at all.
Laos? Oh don't let me start...
And Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc. But I never been there so I cannot say for sure. I only heard from friends who have been to those places that they were virtually unable to try to get them understand anything more complex than 'I want food', etc.

And that's only for English, let alone other European languages. Also former colonies like Laos used to speak French but people didn't really want to, so they stopped.

And yet there is no inherent need for us to study Chinese or Japanese in order to be successful, let alone Lao. Also, what language do the East Asians study? English by and large. So my argument that the most important and useful languages are largely European ones (with the exception of Arabic) doesn't fall simply because a large number of Japanese, Chinese or marginal South East Asian people can't speak English. It only affirms it.

jbbar

Your point as I perceived is 'European languages are more useful than any other languages', which in reality in Asia it's just way more useful to learn Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese than to learn French or German (The very reason I want to learn Mandarin) just like tens of posts here have pointed out. French used to be a major language taught in Thai schools, however nowadays numbers of student is becoming less and less as French students 'could find no use of French in Asia'. It's doesn't help you get a job for example, while if you are good at Japanese you are guaranteed to earn your salary 3-4 time more that average.

English is now regarded as lingua franca and there's no question that it's a-must to learn, however you stated 'European languages', thus implies to more than one, which in fact only English is worth to study around here. Major European languages like French, German are utterly useful in Europe, Spanish in N&S America, that I agree, but in many parts of Asia they're not. And I mean NOT. You'd be quite lucky to bump into someone in Laos that could speak German, or successfully ask a random Japanese in Tokyo which line you have to take to go to Kamakura in English before s/he running away from you!

Sure, you're correct in pointing out that not ALL European languages are useful or important in East Asia. But the topic was about must-have languages for polyglots and I was looking at it from a global perspective. My point was never to say that ALL European languages are useful *everywhere*. So I don't care that in Asia French or Spanish are not useful. The fact is that English is still much in demand and the most studied language in virtually every Asian country. So again, from a global point of view this to me indicates that European languages in general are still the most important and useful ones and may be the best choice for the aspiring and global-minded polyglot to study so he can get around pretty much everywhere. Plus, I did add to my original message that maybe Mandarin and Arabic would fit the list as well. So please don't insinuate I have no regard for the importance and relevance of non-European languages. By the way, German is studied by many Japanese so apparently there must be some demand for it as well, in view of Germany's huge economy and the ties with Japan.

jbbar

Edited by jbbar on 12 March 2009 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6243 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 90 of 149
15 March 2009 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Sorry Suriya, I have to come in on jbbar's side on this. We all know English is the number one language. Further, one can get pretty far on 5 of the 6 inhabited continents with just English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. That only leaves one continent where the major languages are Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, Arabic, Persian, etc, etc. True English may not get you far in Japan, but I am willing to bet it will get you farther than Arabic, Persian, Hindi or even Mandarin. Even Mandarin, Asia's number one language won't get you anywhere in India, Russia or southwest Asia.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5803 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 91 of 149
15 March 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Yes but if you know English that means you'll be able to communicate with a high percentage of european language speakers. Another european language is not your best choice if your goal is to communicate with the most people you possibly can. If that isn't your goal, then please ignore this post.

Suriya
Tetraglot
Thailand
Joined 5732 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Thai*, Laotian, English, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French, Welsh

Message 92 of 149
15 March 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Well to be honest I'm wasn't talking about the topic. The actual point I was arguing about was this line: "The reality is that "European" languages are simply the most useful ones from a global perspective." posted by jbbar. Because:

1) I define the word 'global' as the entire world or at least most places on earth. But 60% of the world population is Asian, thus it is not global, just in many countries because you're missing more than half of the world!

2) Regarding point#1 if you accept my definition, English is the most common language yes but doesn't mean you would be able to get around in most places in Asia with English. I don't argue that 'English would be very useful language to know when in Asia (and not only Asia)', but it's certainly not 'English is the most useful language to know in most of Asia'. Later he corrected that 'My point was never to say that ALL European languages are useful *everywhere*.' But from his post that I first replied to didn't sound like that.

3)English might come in handy, but certainly only English and not 'European languages' in Asia. It's a small difference between 'language' and 'languages' but it changes the whole idea. English might be the biggest foreign language in Asia, but you'll find that the second place after English is rarely a European language. Thailand > Mandarin/Cantonese/Japanese, Laos > Thai, Japan > Mandarin/Korean, And in India, they're just far too busy learning each others' languages which are more than 1,600.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5760 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 93 of 149
18 March 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
jbbar wrote:
By the way, some people would argue that I'm being eurocentric in my suggestions. I disagree. The reality is that "European" languages are simply the most useful ones from a global perspective. So it's simply a matter of being realistic - not "eurocentric."

Your view of reality is largely a European view. In my ASIAN reality, there is no truly global language. Just what do you mean by useful? and in what way useful? Each of the 6+ billion people have their own idea of what is a useful language. And what is a global perspective on usefulness anyway?

There might be 1+billion speakers of English, including 2nd language speakers with rudimentary knowledge of English, but how many percent of the world's population is that? Roughly 15%! Is that what you call global? Which other European language would you call useful from a global perspective?

jbbar wrote:
Hindi, Persian, Korean, etc are all awesome languages but really not a must on a global level. Then again they may be indespensible for others, e.g. intelligence services or those who have strong ties with the countries where these languages are spoken. Context is everything.

There is no "must language" on a global level. Each language is useful in its own sphere of influence or specialized field, culture, etc and highly dependent on the person, and 75% of the world's populations are in Asia and Africa, so your ignoring 75% of the global opinion on whatever language usefulness there is. And concluding that the value systems and opinions of 25% of the world ("the West") represents what is global perspective/view is nothing but Eurocentric.

And don't equate usefulness with the number of people studying it, for that is dictated by communication needs, wants, prejudices, and personal circumstances. Even English's usefulness will be temporary. History shows that once a superpower is replaced, the dominance of its language is replaced. Surely you can't claim that US hegemony will be eternal.

jbbar wrote:

Precisely what countries are you speaking of? If English is useless in the countries you're speaking of (please give us some examples) then I suppose it is due to a lack of proper education. It is up to those countries to change that.

Precisely what do you mean by properly educated? Are you implying that people who doesn't speak English not properly educated? I would bet that not even all of this forum's non-English speaking Europeans, North and South Americans would agree to that. Please remember that proper education, however you define it, is independent of whatever language is spoken. And those countries are not obligated to change anything.

jbbar wrote:
And yet there is no inherent need for us to study Chinese or Japanese in order to be successful, let alone Lao. Also, what language do the East Asians study? English by and large. So my argument that the most important and useful languages are largely European ones (with the exception of Arabic) doesn't fall simply because a large number of Japanese, Chinese or marginal South East Asian people can't speak English. It only affirms it.

Your "us" have indeed a Eurocentric view and clinging to it. Why is there an increase in people studying Chinese in US and Asia? And English is not the most important language (no language is except the native language of each of us), its just the most convenient language, at this point in time. Ditto for other European languages, in a lesser degree.

jbbar wrote:

Sure, you're correct in pointing out that not ALL European languages are useful or important in East Asia. But the topic was about must-have languages for polyglots and I was looking at it from a global perspective. My point was never to say that ALL European languages are useful *everywhere*. So I don't care that in Asia French or Spanish are not useful. The fact is that English is still much in demand and the most studied language in virtually every Asian country. So again, from a global point of view this to me indicates that European languages in general are still the most important and useful ones and may be the best choice for the aspiring and global-minded polyglot to study so he can get around pretty much everywhere.

If its not "useful everywhere" then how can you say "so he can get around pretty much everywhere"? Your inflating the usefulness of English too much and other European languages. Each and every language is equally important in each own sphere, there is no truly globally useful language, but some languages will be more convenient in some situations.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 18 March 2009 at 9:49am

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6389 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 94 of 149
18 March 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
An international language is an internationally accepted means of communication. David Crystal defines global language as a language that has achieved a “special” status globally.

English is by far the most useful language globally. Some 300 million Chinese are studying English and some 40% of world’s new books are published in this language.
Certain European languages have reached “international” and “important” status. A couple of Asian languages have also reached this status. French and a few other European languages have more weight in Asia than most other Asian languages outside of their home countries. French is studied from Lebanon to Tahiti. In India the most studied languages after English are French and Spanish. Of course, if English doesn’t work and you don’t speak the local language you’re sort of screwed in most places.

john234
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 95 of 149
18 March 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I do not believe that there are any languages, including English, that one must know to be a "true" polyglot. However, I do believe that English is becoming a global language.

I can think of one field in which English already is the true global language and is actually required as of 2008: international aviation. If you are the Korean pilot of a flight from Seoul, South Korea to Tashkent, Uzbekistan, you will communicate with the Uzbek air traffic controllers in English. That is not a hypothetical case, it actually happens. Every day pilots and air traffic controllers from all over the world speak to each other all over the world in English.    

Of course there are other languages that are useful in their own spheres and some of those spheres are very large, but I cannot think of an example of actual global use of any other language. That is not meant as a value judgment, it is just the way things are. I do not foresee the Koreans and Uzbeks in my example using Mandarin or Arabic to communicate with one another anytime soon.

Mr. Speaker
Diglot
United States
Joined 7052 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 96 of 149
27 March 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I think we're all debated out about what I "true polyglot" is, so I'll just post my
must haves:

1.Russian
2.Mandarin
3.German
4.French
5.Arabic
6.Spanish
7.Greek
8.Turkish
9.Farsi
10.Swedish
11.Portuguese

I could go on, but if I only manage to get those I'd probably be content :)

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version