Triglot
Germany
Joined 5688 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 113 of 149
03 April 2009 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I think that the most important language that is necessary for a polyglot to learn is the one that he/she is
interested in. The must also have a reason if not just interest. Knowing a major world language is nice, but it is not
enough to call yourself a polyglot. A TRUE polyglot goes out of their way to learn a language that drives them to
from interest,
1 person has voted this message useful

monkeykoder
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 114 of 149
03 April 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
The answer to the original question is trivial.

English: Hey Americans are the best people in the world and everyone should have to learn our language we don't need to learn theirs.
Japanese: Because who doesn't get tired of waiting for fan-subs or dubs of your favorite anime.

</sarcasm>

Suriya
Tetraglot
Thailand
Joined 5732 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Thai*, Laotian, English, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French, Welsh

Message 115 of 149
03 April 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
@jbbar... I agree with Suriya. Sorry to say but she is right
I 'm a man :) lol just so you know.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5841 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 116 of 149
03 April 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:
Stop blaming us for selling you things that you like to buy, music that you like to listen to and movies and TV shows that you like to watch.

If it only were that easy. Out of the sixty or so channels my cable company provides, some fifty feature American programming, about five are Latin American, and I'm lucky to get five European ones. There is no alternative to this. No company offers anything other than a deluge of American programs, with only a smattering of more interesting offerings. If I want the five or six European channels I use for language learning, I *must* pay for the other stuff which doesn't interest me in the least.

Escaping the influence of American culture is not always easy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jbbar
Belgium
Joined 5742 days ago

192 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 117 of 149
03 April 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
And what the heck does this have to do with ANYTHING here at all?

Thanks so much you "Asiacentrists" for hijacking this otherwise most interesting thread.

I agree with Portunhol on that silly anti-Americanism. And regardless of whether he agrees with my points or not, I thank him for pointing out that my usage of the term "global" is correct English indeed.

Now if we could all return to the original topic, please? Those who wish to prove their point that there are no must-have languages, that English somehow isn't a global language or that Asia is to be the measure of all things, including for the importance of languages - are kindly asked to create their own thread.

Thank you all very much.

jbbar

Edited by jbbar on 03 April 2009 at 7:41pm

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6194 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 118 of 149
03 April 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
If it only were that easy. Out of the sixty or so channels my cable company provides, some fifty feature American programming, about five are Latin American, and I'm lucky to get five European ones. There is no alternative to this. No company offers anything other than a deluge of American programs, with only a smattering of more interesting offerings. If I want the five or six European channels I use for language learning, I *must* pay for the other stuff which doesn't interest me in the least.

Escaping the influence of American culture is not always easy.

How is that not easy? All you have to do is change the channel! You don't even have to get up out of your chair. That's all it takes to shut down "American Imperialism" in your home. Is your complaint that you don't have enough variety on TV in your country? That's between you and your cable provider. Stop blaming me and the rest of America for a service that a company in your own country provides you.

That's all I'm saying people. My country is not blameless, I'm well aware of that, but I'm sick and tired of getting blamed for things that have nothing to do with me and only very little to do with my country. I apologize for participating in a discussion that is so off topic but if you were Thai or Colombian, wouldn't you resent being blamed for all the world's drug problems; if you were British, wouldn't you resent being blamed for the racial problems in the USA, Australia and South Africa? What does any of that have to do with you and your language?

I would feel guilty if I didn't comment about something that actually has to do with this thread. I think that English is a "must have language" for all serious polyglots these days not because English is better or worse than any other language but because it is currently the most widely spread language. If we were having this discussion three hundred years ago, I would say the same thing about French. I also feel strongly that polyglots should learn at least one language that has nothing to do with their own native language and that comes from a very different culture. For me, that language is Arabic, which I hope to start studying once I've got a good handle on German.

Edited by portunhol on 04 April 2009 at 3:46am

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5919 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 119 of 149
03 April 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
It wouldn't make much sense to be a polyglot in a bunch of obscure or dead languages. If you have personal reasons for wanting to know those languages, like you want to get to know about a particular culture and its history, then maybe it would be worth it. I would like to know languages that I can use actively with people of different cultures and nationalities. I would also like to travel and be able to speak to people in their language. That is what a "must have" language means to me.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5760 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 120 of 149
04 April 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:

I don’t mean to open the can of worms any further but I’m not the one mudslinging on this forum.

I might have started the mudslinging in this forum due to a misunderstood word usage but I already retracted that. I APOLOGIZE to whoever is offended.

portunhol wrote:

I have to say that, as an American, I find all of this Anti-Americanism to be childish. Unless you are an Iraqi or an Afghan you are not being oppressed by the Americans.

I don't have to be Iraqi or Afghan to feel oppressed. I can be Palestinian. I can be a symphatizer. And its doesn't have to be military occupation. Historical wrongs sometimes are hard to forget.

portunhol wrote:

It's time for many of you to take responsibility for yourselves and recognize that America only has the influence you allow it to have.

Really? Why has USA blocked UN moves to end the death penalty? Why USA haven't joined the Kyoto Protocol? Why had USA blocked UN Security Council action in Gaza, or UN resolution critical of Israel? Why is USA refusing to give up USD as the reserve currency? Tell me what I can do as an individual so USA will REALLY change and the world will be a better place.

portunhol wrote:

Stop blaming us for selling you things that you like to buy, music that you like to listen to and movies and TV shows that you like to watch. If you don’t like how a few aspects of my country’s culture are highly present in yours then please stop buying our products, listening to our music and watching our movies and TV shows.

Totally muddled and confused. Its not the American culture that I resent. But if there is something I don't like in it, I supplant it with something from another culture. That is what my foreign language learning is for. And travels.

portunhol wrote:

All this talk about how “America is on its way out” is tactless and premature. Please show me, and the other Americans in this forum, the respect that you would like us to show your cultures.

If we stick to what I have said, then you won't feel so offended. That "America is on its way out" is probably premature but that is not what I said. I said that USA is "in decline" and that is not premature and is happening in front of our very eyes. USA used to be a model country with respect to human rights. It used to own a large share of the world market. It is not now. I would assume you know why. Besides, its all over the internet (an example and another), so how come I become "tactless"? This reminds me of saying "the emperor has no clothes..." LOL. We are in a forum and not in a dinner, are we? If its the manner how I said things, I would love to hear it.

I admire and respect American culture. Its a huge achievement. But it is being surpassed in certain areas..... It's natural. Which ever is the last in line has better achievements. The next one builds on top of the other.

portunhol wrote:

Jbbar’s use of the word “global” is completely correct. Any educated English speaker will tell you that. Trying to make a definition narrower to suit your argument and criticize others is asinine. Just because you use a word a certain way does not necessarily mean that that is the only way the word can be used. It would be like contending that the word universal can only refer to characteristics that are common to the entire universe.

Its true, many words are polysemous. But words don't exist alone, its the context which tells which meaning applies. Take your example "universal". In the phrase "Newton's law of universal gravitation", the applicability of universal is different than in the sentence "rap enjoys universal appeal among teenage boys". In the same way, global is different in "global language" and "global war on terror". Unlike language which is present where ever there are people, war on terror is not and need not be. Its not asinine, its critical thinking.

portunhol wrote:

If you don’t think that European languages should be so widely studied, that’s fine; list your reasons for what languages should be studied in their place.

Its putting the cart before the horse. Just study whatever language interests you or you needed. From there flows the statistics of which language is mostly studied. There are no "should" be widely studied, Asian or European, languages. So I don't have the thinking that European languages shouldn't be so widely studied. Or even the thinking that Asian languages should be so widely studied.

portunhol wrote:

Criticizing without offering a solution helps no one.

Solution? Which problem?

portunhol wrote:

I think it would be better for us to talk about what languages we feel are important for polyglots rather than attack languages and cultures that we feel are not.

I agree, since I am not "attacking" which language or culture as not important for a polyglot. Rather, I am arguing if there really is a global language and the motivations of people who think there is.

portunhol wrote:

That's all I'm saying people. My country is not blameless, I'm well aware of that, but I'm sick and tired of getting blamed for things that have nothing to do with me and only very little to do with my country. I appologize for participating in a discussion that is so off topic but if you were Thai or Colombian, wouldn't you resent being blamed for all the world's drug problems; if you were British, wouldn't you resent being blamed for the racial problems in the USA, Australia and South Africa? What does any of that have to do with you and your language?

I can emphatize with you on that one. In the same way that all Middle Eastern looking people feel sick and tired for being typecasts as terrorists after 9/11. But it's a human constant to put a face/individual to represent something.

By the way, I don't blame you. I'm nicer now.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 04 April 2009 at 3:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version