149 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19
Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5841 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 145 of 149
12 April 2009 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
It's happened to me before that books were not available at Amazon.de, although they were not out of print. It's always a good idea to check with the publisher.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5841 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 146 of 149
12 April 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:

English OVER 40,000,000
German 8,765,000
French 4,490,767
Spanish 3,038,551
Dutch 2,319,000
Chinese 1,693,000
Japanese 1,600,000
Russian 1,312,934
Italian 1,180,937

Now, this is interesting. Know any good Dutch online bookstores?

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6389 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 147 of 149
12 April 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
reineke wrote:
Calderon de La Barca and Unamuno are VERY popular authors, especially in Spanish-speaking countries. Among the books you were looking for in German were a "Spanish-born Muslim philosopher and first known exponent in Spain of the Neoplatonic tradition of intellectual mysticism" and a Hungarian who was apparently into "klassenfetischismus" and some works connected with Marxist thought - ahem a still very popular topic in Latin America. The muslim philosopher only had about 30 records in Arabic, a dozen in Spanish and a few in English and French and that after sifting through bibliographic records of some 10,000 libraries worldwide - including the Library of Congress, BNF and others..

One cannot be conversant in sociology without having read Lukács... It's called culture, something for which apparently there is a waning demand, sadly even in nations which claim it as their main distinction.

The International Georg Lukács Society - founded at the University of Paderborn, Germany. Their site is German-only but you can write them if you wish.

“The society's aim is based on the idea to bring together representatives of different academic disciplines (philosophers, literary and sociology scientists) with the critically engaged public thus providing the occasion to productively discuss, above all with regard to the presence, the work and person of the Hungary philosopher, estethic and literary historian. In this sense, the society edits a year book with contributions of and to Lukács, under successive deployment of his comprehensive Budapest inheritance, and essays on his intellectual surroundings. Furtherly, the year book should establish a critical development and further growth of his thinking on several fields of his intellectual and practical-political engagement. Parallely, the society edits a series, in which works of Lukács as well as studies on his work and influence will be published. The society founders believe it is highly vital to re-establish a critical, open, and undogmatic thinking in the scientific-academic and in the public discourse, a thinking which had been sacrificed out of opportunism or pression but against historical reason - after the "Wende" and after several international turnabouts. The society closely cooperates with the Lukács Institute of Sociological Studies in Paderborn and the Lukács Archive in Budapest, Hungary.”

Lots of stuff – international symposia (class fetishists!).

http://www.lukacs-gesellschaft.de/index2.html

Plenty of books to buy – in different places, including bound editions featuring collections of his writings. You need to search. You might be a researcher but you’re not searching right. You also need to be able to actually read German. If you can, apologies but you still need to get familiar with the multitudes of online bookstores and publishers (and I am no expert at this either).

Some new/upcoming editions

Georg Lukács
Werke
Bd. I / 1: FrĂĽhschriften. Vormarxistische Schriften 1
ISBN 978-3-89528-630-8
ca. 700 Seiten, Ln., EUR 98,-

Georg Lukács
Werke
Bd. I / 2: FrĂĽhschriften. Vormarxistische Schriften 2
ISBN 978-3-89528-631-5
ca. 600 Seiten, Ln., EUR 98,-
(erscheint voraussichtlich 2009)

Georg Lukács
Die Seele und die Formen
Essays
Werkauswahl in Einzelbänden Band 1
2009, ISBN 978-3-89528-630-8
ca. 250 Seiten, kart. ca. EUR 25,-
(erscheint voraussichtlich im Herbst 2009)

So poor Lukacs is not an orphan nor is he neglected.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5841 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 148 of 149
12 April 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:

Plenty of books to buy – in different places, including bound editions featuring collections of his writings. You need to search. You might be a researcher but you’re not searching right. You also need to be able to actually read German. If you can, apologies but you still need to get familiar with the multitudes of online bookstores and publishers (and I am no expert at this either).

I look at the main online German bookstores such as Amazon.de, Buch.de, Booklooker.de, Eurobuch.com and Buecher.de, but I'm quick to confess my Internet and computer skills are not of a high order. What are those places which you mention that I'm missing?

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6389 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 149 of 149
12 April 2009 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 

James Joyce and the Making of Ulysses
Publicada en 1930 y actualmente descatalogada en todas sus ediciones, la obra constituye una herramienta fundamental para la comprensión de Ulises. Frank Budgen compartió con Joyce casi la totalidad del tiempo libre de ambos durante los años 1918 y 1919, en plena maduración y proceso de escritura de Ulises.
James Joyce and the Making of Ulysses no ha sido nunca traducido al castellano, pero, según tenemos entendido, los derechos de traducción ya han sido adquiridos por una editorial española.

So, you would have waited some 70+ years….

James Joyce et la Création d'Ulysse – first translated into French in the 1970's – some 40 years after the book was first published and at least 30 years before the Spanish translation (assuming there is one). In stock at Amazon France.

The English original is available on Amazon – used only. Available new elsewhere it seems. Shocking? Not really.

Big places want to make big bucks selling what sells well. Your tastes are best served by used book stores, specialized bookstores and by buying directly from publishers. I would also consider a trip - let's say to Switzerland - with a couple of very large, empty bags. I understand that books are not subject to custom duties in many countries. I simply google authors individually. I rarely buy hard copies. I appreciate Google books immensely. I like paper very much - however the green kind always seems to prevail. If you're interested in a particular discipline I'd check how German students buy their books.

Some links. I closed my browser on others.

http://www.biblioman.ch/suche.fpl?a=Georg+Lukacs+&t=&s=&p=4

http://www.buchhandel.de/?caller=vlbPublic&strFrame=titelsuc he&Autor=Lukács,%20Georg

https://www.vorwaerts-ba.de/suchergebnis.php?suche=Georg+Luk acs

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version