Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 57 of 149
24 January 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:

These are not random languages by the way. Each is there because of a unique morphosyntactic characteristic. If I am able to speak all of them fluently, I will be able to construct a universal translation software (mad scientist?). This list will continue to grow, har har har! No I'm not mad, just in the mood.

Excellent; what are the morphosyntactic characteristics of each?

What about Piraha?
Nez Percé? (Tripartite)

1 person has voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6314 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 58 of 149
24 January 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
Volte wrote:
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
Every "must-have" lists are
really subjective and personal.

In my world, a polyglot must speak these minimum languages:
1. Kalaallisut
2. Tucano
3. Tabbassaran
4. Jacaltec
5. Bayso
6. Fore
7. Nenets
8. Nuuchanulth
9. Amis
10. Toda
11. Yemba
12. Jiwarli
13. Amele
14. Korean
15. Tamil
16. Koyukon
Other languages are just "nice to have".

Thank you. You made a point I'd been wanting to, much more eloquently than I would
have.

These are not random languages by the way. Each is there because of a unique
morphosyntactic characteristic. If I am able to speak all of them fluently, I will be
able to construct a universal translation software (mad scientist?). This list will
continue to grow, har har har! No I'm not mad, just in the mood.

They seem random. I've never heard of any of these. Of course there is no such thing
as a 'true' polyglot. That's ridiculous. It's a subjective question about what
languages are the 'best'. This could be all-round in many things. Linguistics,
speakers, countries, families, grammar, phonetics, time(as ProfArguelles would no
doubt vehemently argue! lol) and the list goes on and on.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 61 of 149
24 January 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:

morphosyntactic characteristic. If I am able to speak all of them fluently, I will be
able to construct a universal translation software (mad scientist?). This list will

They seem random. I've never heard of any of these. Of course there is no such thing
speakers, countries, families, grammar, phonetics, time(as ProfArguelles would no

You've never heard of Korean?

I think Raчraч Ŋuɲa's point was simply that these languages have a lot of morphologically interesting features. For the ones on the list I've heard of, I'd tend to agree with him/her.

As for whether there's such a thing a 'true' polyglot: I'd argue that there is, although the boundary may be fuzzy (and I'd argue, as others in this thread have, that the specific languages are irrelevant).

As for 'This could be all-round' onwards, I really don't understand what you're trying to say; could you elucidate?

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5760 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 62 of 149
24 January 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

I think Raчraч Ŋuɲa's point was simply that these languages have a lot of morphologically interesting features. For the ones on the list I've heard of, I'd tend to agree with him/her.

As for whether there's such a thing a 'true' polyglot: I'd argue that there is, although the boundary may be fuzzy (and I'd argue, as others in this thread have, that the specific languages are irrelevant).

As for 'This could be all-round' onwards, I really don't understand what you're trying to say; could you elucidate?

Volte, your my man! Each language has interesting grammatical features not found in the other languages in the list. I don't know all languages, but I've come accross these languages in the literature as possessing features that I think would be useful if my mother language have them.

Take as an example Tucano. This language is spoken in the Vaupés region of northwest
Brazil, even extending beyond the Columbian border. This language has a highly developed evidential system in its verbal suffixes, distinguishing visual, non-visual, inferred, and reported. To quote Aikhenvald:"Evidentiality is a grammatical category that has source of information as its primary meaning - whether the narrator actually saw what is being described, or made inferences about it based on some evidence, or was told about it, etc. Languages vary in how many information sources have to be marked. Many just mark information reported by someone else; others distinguish firsthand and nonfirsthand information sources. In rarer instances, visually obtained data are contrasted with data obtained through hearing and smelling, and through various kinds of inference."

Wouldn't it be interesting if, say English, requires all speakers to mark their verbs for evidentiality? This would be handy in courts, debates, interrogations and discussions. Unless the speaker is purposely or unknowingly not telling the truth, we would know what's his/her basis for saying such and such. As far as I know, Tucano has the most well-developed evidential system (someone correct me if there is another language out there), at least among those languages that are already studied and published.

Nez Percé is not appealing to me with its tripartite morphosyntactic alignment. I prefer Fluid/Semantic alignment. I think Austronesian/Philippine alignment is a fluid/semantic alignment with an overlay, that's why I have listed there Amis, a language spoken in Taiwan. The advantage of a fluid alignment is evident from the name, it is flexible, depending on the meaning and focus, you can construct either a nominative-accusative sentence or ergative-absolutive.

Isn't it great to be free to construct your sentence, and think in ways unavailable to Indoeuropean and Sinitic languages, for example? This has an impact on the conciseness and subtlety of meaning by the way. Luckily for me, my mother language is Bikol and I speak Tagalog, but Amis has other disctinctions not found in either Tagalog or Bikol, although its not mophosyntactic alignment but the particles/determiners of its focus system.

I've encountered Pirahã before, but what's striking is its "poverty": It doesn't have words for numbers and colors and limited phonemes and clause structures! The language is fit for nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Unless I want to live their world, there is perhaps very little that I can copy from their language that would enrich me. I like my languages to be expressive and not constrained. But it is interesting to language typologists and other scientists.

Defining a polyglot is easy: he just have to speak many languages. The definition is silent about the composition of the many, as it depends on the reference point and purpose of the speaker. Its the "many" that's the bone of contention. For some languages, many is more than 1, others more than 2, others more than 3 or 4, others more than "a few" (6?). What is needed is a universally acceptable gauge, but I doubt if its forthcoming soon. Check out Bayso, spoken in Ethiopia, with a very interesting values of number feature on nouns.

I don't have the time now to describe in an exciting way the interesting feature of each one of the languages, maybe sometime later.

Yes, I am a "he/she", in that order. I'm a straight-acting male bisexual but since this is not a sexual preference forum, this is not the proper forum to comment further. (This is just to clarify my sex/gender since it is not evident from my handle/name.)

zerothinking wrote:

They seem random. I've never heard of any of these. This could be all-round in many things. Linguistics, speakers, countries, families, grammar, phonetics, time(as ProfArguelles would no doubt vehemently argue! lol) and the list goes on and on.

It's not an "all-round" list, it just concerns grammar. If phonetics, I would list different languages. A list based on speakers, countries, language families and time is not interesting at all. Another interesting list for me would be based on semantic distinctions. English is there as it has a lot of technical, scientific and cultural terms and continues to be in the forefront of research, creativity and publication.

Don't take me seriously about the composition of my list. You have your own, just share whatever you have and why you like your list. I am interested in other people's list not because of what it has but because of why it is.

As for my list, since its mine, I'm the only one who knows what's common about these languages and would seem random to anyone else. But I already told you, haven't I?
Cheers.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 24 January 2009 at 6:38pm

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6314 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 63 of 149
24 January 2009 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
zerothinking wrote:
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:

You've never heard of Korean?

I think Raчraч Ŋuɲa's point was simply that these languages have a lot of
morphologically interesting features. For the ones on the list I've heard of, I'd
tend to agree with him/her.

As for whether there's such a thing a 'true' polyglot: I'd argue that there is,
although the boundary may be fuzzy (and I'd argue, as others in this thread have, that
the specific languages are irrelevant).

As for 'This could be all-round' onwards, I really don't understand what you're trying
to say; could you elucidate?

Certainly. Everyone has totally misunderstood me. So I'll try to explain better.

Firstly, can you define what you mean by 'true polyglot'? The definitions of the word
true are:

genuine: not pretended; sincerely felt or expressed; "genuine emotion"; "her interest
in people was unfeigned"; "true grief"
true(a): rightly so called; "true courage"; "a spirit which true men have always
admired"; "a true friend"
consistent with fact or reality; not false; "the story is true"; "it is undesirable to
believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for ...
accurately placed or thrown; "his aim was true"; "he was dead on target"
devoted (sometimes fanatically) to a cause or concept or truth; "true believers bonded
together against all who disagreed with them"

Ok so which of them do you mean? The word polyglot means: a person who speaks 'many'
languages. Some definitions cite 2 languages or more. I think most people would agree
with at least 3 or 4. I say 4+.

Ok so someone who speaks 4+ languages and is 'true' to speaking those languages? I
don't understand. If someone can define what a 'true polyglot' REALLY is then we could
get somewhere. Until then it's just subjective interpretation of the meaning of what
we are describing here. Now, what I meant before was that IF our definition of a
'TRUE' polyglot was a polyglot who spoke many 'different' languages so as to be 'well-
rounded' then it would still cause a problem because you can be well-rounded in many
different 'areas' of language. So you could be a polyglot who speaks many
morphosyntatically interesting languages. But perhaps then you aren't well-rounded
when it comes to phonetically interesting languages. And if you are then you might not
be diachronically well-rounded. And if you are still that then you might not be
language-family-well-rounded. And so on and so forth. Do you understand? There are
many different types of well rounded and if that's the meaning of 'true polyglot' it's
going to have to be one of them and not the other. And if a polyglot was to speak all
of the languages necessary to be well-rounded in all aspects of language he would have
to speak probably 100+ languages.

edit: On closer inspection of the list I'd heard of Tamil and Korean. Woops. :P

Edited by zerothinking on 24 January 2009 at 8:05pm

LittleKey
Diglot
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

146 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 64 of 149
24 January 2009 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
English, Spanish, French, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, and Arabic. Those will all be very useful for a polyglot to know.

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version