Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7068 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 1 of 297
14 December 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Friends, Romans, countrymen! It's mid-December and I'm starting to hear some murmurings
about TAC 2011. I've been doing some murmuring myself, and figured it was time to start
an (Un)Official Total Annihilation Challenge 2011 Thread.

Now, I didn't participate last year, so I may not be the best one to be kicking this
off- if anyone wants to jump in and grab the reins at any point, please do!

What say we attempt to have some structure to this whole shebang by December 17th
(that's three [3] days, folks). By that I pretty much just mean: let's decide on the
format by then. Let's aim for getting the teams organized by the 31st, so hopefully we
can get the majority of interested parties to announce their interest by the 28th or
29th. If you're up for participating, let's hear from you! Things to include in your
post: what languages are you planning on studying? Current level in these languages?
Team TAC for 2011: yea or nay? Care to help organize?

Some handy reference points and a bit of motivation from the 2010 TAC thread, put
together by the wonderful Shadow1984.

Quote:
2010 TEAM TAC THREAD

This thread has been created in order to help structure the 2010 TEAM TAC (TOTAL
ANNHILATION CHALLEGE). The is also necessary to prevent people who are not interested
in doing a personal TAC know that there is a TEAM CHALLENGE that they can participate
in as well. In order for the 2010 TTAC to be successful, ideas and structure is needed
in order to make this project come together! Share your ideas! This will also be the
targeting for this competition!

*Credit is given to the idea of a TEAM challege came from the HTLAL member DaraghM.

Special thanks is also given to BUTTONS for taking out all the time and effort she has
put in, in order for this TEAM TAC to come into fruition!    

Also thank you to all the members who have voiced their inputs and suggestions to help
organize this new project.

Here are some reasons why we should have a TEAM TOTAL ANNHILATION CHALLENGE!

1. MOTIVATION - Language learning can be hard, actually it is hard! By having a TTAC
you will be able to bond with other language learners easier instead of going at it
alone. Being on a team can help give you the motivation that is needed when times get
tough!

2. RESOURCES - Having a good team will help guide you in the best resources that can
help you achieve what you want to achieve in a faster amount of time! By making friends
people could get the idea of the type of learner you are and point you into the
direction of some resources that you never knew existed.

3. PRACTICING - Did you know the more you practice something the better you get at it?
Now you have people you can practice on via email/skype/phone or whatever it may be. If
you make mistakes who cares? You guys both need the practice!    

4. COMPETITION - A little friendly competition never hurt anyone, well I don't think it
has but there are some crazy people out there! Some people are driven by competition. I
happen to be one of them!

So um... before I step down from my podium:

I'll be studying Turkish and I'm currently at an intermediate level. I'm all for team
TAC- if I'm not mistaken, I think 2010 TAC teams were grouped based on common
languages, and I think it would be useful to do it that way this time around too. And
um, if it's not already obvious, I'm more than willing to help organize.

What say you?
7 persons have voted this message useful

Monte_Cristo
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

27 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 297
14 December 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I am definitely interested in TAC 2011. I'm currently studying Spanish, at beginner level. Team TAC sounds like a great idea. I don't think I can spare the time to organize, but I promise to be appreciative of those who can! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5537 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 3 of 297
14 December 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
I have seen these threads throughout the last year since joining but I wondered what the
purpose was other than those outlined above. Maybe someone could explain what exactly
happens as I am a bit lost. Do people chat in their own threads about the common
language they are learning or is there more to it than that?
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5868 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 4 of 297
14 December 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I say that I will be in TAC 2011. I've been gathering recources and making tentative plans regarding my study schedule and possible goals. I think I've done pretty well with just having my own TAC log so that's what I'll be doing for 2011 as well.

Edited by mick33 on 14 December 2010 at 7:59pm

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 5 of 297
14 December 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm in for Team TAC 2011! I'll be free to help organize at the end of this week. My
languages, current levels and goals:

Spanish: maintain C1
German: B1 to C1
Mandarin: A1 to B1
Polish: zilch to A2
Turkish: play around if there's time left over :)

@magictom123: The idea behind TAC is to annihilate whatever's standing in the way of
your most effective language learning, whether that be procrastination, laziness, lack
of resources, etc. Basically, you're meant to ramp your language studies up to the next
level, maximizing your time and challenging your habits and abilities. To that end,
Team TAC is supposed to provide you with a supportive, helpful group who'll check in
with you, share goals and progress, and keep the journey from being too lonely, all
while maintaining friendly competition among the groups to spur on those of us who like
that sort of thing. From what I understand, the requirement for Team TAC 2010 was to
keep an individual log updated in these forums and to read your teammates' logs,
checking in with them occasionally. Some suggested keeping a group log, but there was a
potential for spending too much time logging/on these forums talking about languages
instead of actually learning them. Last year teams were made up of three to four
people, most of them unified by a shared language but having spent varying amounts of
time on this forum (i.e. older members were intentionally grouped with younger ones).

Some people did chat amongst themselves on their logs, practicing or providing
suggestions or encouragement, but that function is also available to non-team members.

If you're not interested in being on a team, you're welcome to do TAC 2011 with an
individual log (like some of the other forum members did this past year), taking down
all your obstacles with aplomb and enthusiasm.

Am I missing anything? :)

Edited by thephantomgoat on 15 December 2010 at 12:46am

8 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 297
15 December 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I've been looking forward to this for months now! Thank you to Sierra for finally getting it started. I'd also be willing to organize.

In case it's not apparent already, I'm participating this year too. Here are the languages that I'll be working on:
Spanish/Portuguese/French/Italian: Maintain ~C1-C2 (or B2 for Italian)
Greek: B2 --> C1
German: B2 --> C1
Swedish: B1 --> B2
Esperanto: B1 --> B2
Swahili: B1 --> B2
Dutch: A2 --> B2
Romanian: A2 --> B2
Japanese: Lowish B1 --> High, Strong B1
Russian: A2 --> B1
Persian: A1 --> B1

I also have an "undecided" category. If for some insane reason I feel the urge to take on something new, I'd like to reach an A2 level in it. As for this "it," I will probably choose one of Finnish, Czech, Arabic, Turkish, Hungarian, Georgian, or Hebrew. Hopefully I'll be able to resist the urge, but just in case...

I'd prefer to be in a Russian/Japanese/Swahili/Romanian/Greek team, but I suppose anywhere is fine.

I am officially signed up for Team TAC 2011! And again, I'm completely willing to help in the organization process as much as I can.

Edited by ellasevia on 17 December 2010 at 3:17am

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 7 of 297
15 December 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I will be participating, though I think I'll do the individual one, due to my fear of letting down my team mates. I'll be studying Esperanto and German (plus a little bit of Toki Pona, but I hope to already be at a pretty high level in that by the end of 2010).

I'm currently a beginner in both languages. Esperanto, however, is coming amazingly easy, so my goals for it are correspondingly lofty. I just ordered a couple of Esperanto books on Amazon (one original, and a translation of Alice in Wonderland), and I want to be able to read them with minimal dictionary use. I also want to be able to listen to Radio Verda without struggling. On the more active side of things, I'll try to find a pen pal at some point.

German scares me with its difficulties, even more so having enjoyed the easiness of Esperanto. So at this point I don't really have specific goals for it besides "get better". I'll probably keep working through the Pimsleur lessons, and I also found a good grammar book at the library that I'll work through.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5537 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 8 of 297
15 December 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation thephantomgoat. If there is an Italian group formed I would
like to be a part of it. 2011 is the year I conquer Italian...and then probably start on
French or German.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version