Joined 5154 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 89 of 297
19 December 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Please add me down for an individual challenge:

French. This will be the language to which I'll devote most of my time. Study to continue throughout the year. I'm Canadian, so have ample access to French news, books, etc. And I have courses from three publishers: Living Language, Assimil, Barron's (Mastering French, the FSI package, I believe).

Mandarin Chinese. A four month challenge, to see how far I can go in that time.   I have one advantage, in that I was taught this for eight years in school, so can "hear" (and reproduce) its tones. The disadvantage: I failed this for most of the eight years (in my defence, it was very badly taught), and so have had a huge emotional/pychological block about learning or speaking the language. I have no plans to learn (or re-learn) to read or write. I have the New Practical Chinese Reader, and also Chinese for Today, a shorter course published by the Beijing Language and Cultural Institute.

One other European language, yet to be decided. Probably either German or Italian.   I have Living Language courses for both languages (and access to the various free online resources listed on these forums), hope to travel to both countries at some stage in the future (prob. 2012), and have enjoyed the little bit of both languages that I've studied. A four month challenge to begin after my Mandarin Chinese stint.

Edited to fix typos.

Edited by songlines on 19 December 2010 at 4:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

anni_online
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5556 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 90 of 297
19 December 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Here we go again...

I just realized that there is a Scandinavian team for TAC 2011, so I definitely need to
join! My language choice is as nordic as it gets, I will be struggling to improve my
Norwegian, Finnish and Icelandic in 2011.

Norwegian - not too bad, probably at B2, aiming for "as close to C2 as possible"
Finnisch - well, still basic, but the next language trip lies ahead, so every chance to
get somewhere in 2011, B2 would be great
Icelandic - B1 by the end of 2011 would be nice

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5068 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 297
19 December 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm excited about this! Thanks, Phillip, for all your work setting it up. Jimbo, I like 唐 as the Chinese team name
and have put it into my flash cards to learn it. Team Tang sounds great.

So, is the next step setting up an individual log? Titled with TAC and/or our team names?

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5536 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 92 of 297
19 December 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Count me in for Team TAC. I signed up last year and only made it to like month six.
Hopefully I'll actually finish this (coming)year.

I'm studying Spanish and Catalan this year.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5060 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 93 of 297
19 December 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm so excited! I like all the possible names for the Esperanto team, but the fun thing about Team Ŭ is that the name of the letter is ŭo, which is pronounced like the English word "woah!". But maybe it's just the dork in me that thinks that's cool. :P

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6087 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 94 of 297
19 December 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
From now on I will only list the teams and the individual TAC participants. Recommendations for team names are still welcome, and again, if you're unhappy with your team assignment just contact me and I'll see what I can do. I've tried my best to keep the teams within the range of 2-4 people, and to do this we now have a Persian Team to reduce the number of people on the ready-to-explode French Team. Also, I've had to divide the Spanish Team into two separate teams (Team Ñ and Team É) because it was getting too large and there wasn't really any other way.

Please see the Special Concerns section below directed to Kuikentje and Li Fei for information on starting your TAC 2011 Log.

TAC 2011 TEAM CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
Team ع (Arabic): JPike1028, marvelgirll, Quabazaa, Préposition
Team 唐 (Chinese): Whitefish (M), jimbo (C), Li Fei (M)
Team IJ (Dutch): noriyuki_nomura, Shokhn, J S
Team X (English): rob4languages, Kuikentje
Team Ŭ (Esperanto): Lianne, LittleBoy
Team Π(French): ReneeMona, Persona, LanguageSponge, tomsawyer
Team ß (German): troglodyte, gizmo2012, lerner, ummagumma
Team Ψ (Greek): Alpha, Kerrie, aloysius
Team Ì (Italian): magictom123, Oasis88, diabolo menthe, Lapislazuli
Team あ (Japanese): Luai_lashire, g-bod
Team چ (Persian): ellasevia, Cetacea
Team Ł (Polish): thephantomgoat, ruskivyetr
Team Ж (Russian): Solfrid Cristin, handfulofkeys, nogoodnik, garyb
Team Å (Scandinavian): Ncruz (N), akprocks (S), Jaynie (D), anni_online (N)
Team Ñ (Spanish): Monte_Cristo, Vos, nuriayasmin
Team É (Spanish): amber5499, canada38, Icaria909
Team Ğ (Turkish): Sierra, Przemek
Team KEN: Adrean, Buttons, M. Medialis, Teango

TAC 2011 INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
Fabrizio: Afrikaans, Japanese, Spanish
Fasulye: Danish, Turkish
Genocyde: German, Mandarin, Persian, Russian, Swahili, Swedish
Iolanthe: Dutch, Spanish
mick33: Afrikaans, Finnish, Spanish, Swedish
songlines: French, Mandarin
The Real CZ: Japanese, Korean

If you are wishing to participate in a 2011 TAC Challenge but don’t see your name on one of these lists, please announce your participation in this thread. If you notice any errors at all, please point them out to me and I’ll fix them right away. Also note that unless you specifically say otherwise, I will add you to the TTAC list.

Specific Concerns:
akprocs – I’ve added you to the Scandinavian Team now.
Kuikentje – It’s not necessary to place the most importance on English just because it is your TAC Team. For example, I’m currently on the Persian Team but I will only be focusing on Persian for the first three months of the year. Also, I don’t think your Internet problems should be too much of an issue, as long you try to post updates regularly (once a month is generally considered the minimum) to the best of your abilities.
songlines – Tell me when you decide on your third language and I’ll add it to the list.
Li Fei and everyone else – The next step is indeed to start your log. The title can be anything you like as long as it includes some mention of TAC 2011 and your team, if you are participating in the Team Challenge. I just want to say that although the teams are now being listed, they will not be final until December 27th, so that we can allow people ample time to sign up and get everything sorted out. If you’re studying just one language, this shouldn’t be a problem because you’re guaranteed to be in that team. If you are studying more than one, however, just make sure you check back in this thread to see if anything has changed after you’ve started your log.

Edited by ellasevia on 20 December 2010 at 5:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5440 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 95 of 297
19 December 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes", but I just want to confirm it. Are those
studying multiple languages only a member of one team?

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5060 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 96 of 297
19 December 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
canada38 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes", but I just want to confirm it. Are those
studying multiple languages only a member of one team?

That is correct. :)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version