Joined 5154 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 153 of 297
25 December 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
geordie wrote:
I skimmed through the thread and I'm still not really sure what it's about... do I need to make a log to be part of a team? Do I need to find other members to form a team or will people recruit me? What are the goals of the team and how are the winner(s) determined? Sorry if this is all explained somewhere obvious and I just missed it.

Hello Geordie, ThePhantomGoat has a good short explanation of how it works. See here.

You can do the TAC individually. If you'd like to be part of a team, Ellasevia is organizing that, and he may be able to assign you one; there are a few other latecomers who are also team-less. Just leave a post on this forum to say whether you'd like to do an individual challenge, or a team one; and for which language/s.

(I'm not sure who can vote on the logs at the end of the year: any forumite, or only people who've themselves taken the TAC. )
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5279 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 154 of 297
25 December 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
A couple of practical questions - and I appologize if the answers have been covered already: Would we normally use our languages in the log, or do we talk about our studies in English, so that everyone can understand?

On one hand it could be quite helpful to use our languages in the actual log, so that we can receive corrections or encouragements related to our progress, on the other hand that might be boring to those who do not read those languages, and might keep people away from reading it.

Perhaps English in our personal logs, and then a team log where we all can write in our languages?

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5028 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 155 of 297
26 December 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Having joined the forum just yesterday I now fear it could almost be too late to get a Hebrew TAC Team formed. But maybe this can still be achieved though.

So my language is Modern Hebrew and I'm currently on level A1. My goal for the next year will be A2/B1.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6087 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 156 of 297
26 December 2010 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin, I think it should be just fine to do whatever you prefer for languages. Some people would like
to write in their target language to get feedback and practice, but others might prefer to stick to English
only, while still others will do a mix of English and other languages.

Meelämmchen, I don't think it's too late to organize a Hebrew Team. We still have a couple days yet until the
finalized teams and there are some other Hebrew learners. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by ellasevia on 26 December 2010 at 2:51am

Metaflower
Australia
Joined 5411 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 157 of 297
26 December 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I'm late to the party, but I'm a longtime lurker here and I'd love to join. My main focus will be Spanish, but
feel free to put me in any team that works. :p Also, I only have a rough idea of my level in each of these at
the moment, hopefully I'll get that cleared up soon!
Spanish B1 -> C1
French B1 -> B2
German extremely low A1 -> B1
Mandarin A1 -> A2
Portuguese (not sure whether I'll pick this up yet) 0 -> B1

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5792 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 158 of 297
26 December 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A couple of practical questions - and I appologize if the answers have been covered already: Would we normally use our languages in the log, or do we talk about our studies in English, so that everyone can understand?

On one hand it could be quite helpful to use our languages in the actual log, so that we can receive corrections or encouragements related to our progress, on the other hand that might be boring to those who do not read those languages, and might keep people away from reading it.

Perhaps English in our personal logs, and then a team log where we all can write in our languages?

In the Log Section there is no "English only" rule. There have been people who wrote/write their logs in the target languages. So it's a question of personal choice in which language(s) you write your TAC log.

Fasulye
2 persons have voted this message useful

akprocks
United States
Joined 5231 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Studies: German

Message 159 of 297
26 December 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm fine with being on team å, i'll try and keep a bi weekly log and such. sorry for taking a while to get back to post my response, I've been very sick lately and just read the parts of the thread I missed today.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5773 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 160 of 297
26 December 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I saw on the official teams list that I've been moved to the Esperanto team. If possible I would actually prefer to be
moved back to the Japanese team seeing as I don't plan to study Esperanto actively this year, and I will be focusing
on Japanese. I would of course be happy to give advice to and cheer on the members of the Esperanto team anyway!
:)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version