Joined 6497 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 169 of 297
28 December 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Hi,

Please add me to the 2011 TAC Team challenge.
My active study languages will be:

German -- I hope to grow from an active B2 to a strong C1/C2 level this year.
Portuguese -- Actively study it throughout the year, I expect to be an active speaker by the end of the year (from reasonable but passive understanding and my fluency in French/Spanish)
Ladakhi -- Move from a dozen words learned this month to a A2(??) level - at least 500 words, basic grammar, alphabet.
French - Actively work on reading and writing beyond oral fluency.

I'll post and write about my other languages but I'm excluding them from the challenge, I think 3/4 is what I can reasonable focus on.

Please add me to either the German or French/German Team.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5471 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 170 of 297
29 December 2010 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
If it is not too late, I would like to sign up for a TAC Team as well.

I have 2 languages that I wish to work on. The first is Koine Greek (the form of Greek
the New Testament and Septuagint were written in). I took 2 classes in college a couple
of years ago and have been puttering away with it ever since then. My goals for Greek
are:
   1.) To know all the vocabulary occuring 30x or more in the New Testament
   2.) To know all the paradigms from my textbook (particularly the verbal paradigms).
   3.) To master the finer points of verb usage.
I will be using "The Basics of Biblical Greek" by Bill Mounce, my New Testament
Reader's Greek Bible, the Teknia flash card software, as well as some audio resources
and possibly an ebook on Greek composition. Basically, I will be going over the
vocabulary periodically to pick out words I am having difficulty remembering.

The second language I would like to work on is German. At this point, I am an absolute
beginner with very tiny knowledge of German. My goals in German are... to learn the
basics and be able to do some conversing. I would also like to be able to read
newspapers and the like, and possibly get the gist of what is being said on the radio.
Beyond that, I do not know what I can reasonably expect.

So... yeah. If there is still time, I would definitely be up for joining a team
learning German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6087 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 171 of 297
29 December 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
The deadline has technically already passed, but I'd be willing to work you into a team if it doesn't require any (or much) reshuffling. Could I put you on the Greek Team and then mark that you're working on Koine/Ancient Greek rather than Modern Greek like the others?

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5471 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 172 of 297
29 December 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
That would be fantastic! Thank you ellasevia.

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5046 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 173 of 297
29 December 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I think I'm a bit late to announce my participation but I'd like to let know that I'd be happy to join in with some
languages that I'm studying if possible.

TAC possibilities for me this year are

Modern Greek: I'm somewhere in between B2 - B1 (reading, writing and listening would be B2 but I'm a bit
rusty
now in speaking Greek) this years goal is to reach C1
Modern Hebrew: Currently In the phase of passing from A1 to A2, this year's goal is to reach B2
Russian: A1 => B2
French: Absolute beginner => B2

In all of the above I'm hoping to complete 100 hours of active studying (i.e. learning grammar, solving exercises,
writing essays, doing oral drills) apart from daily vocabulary study on any of the flashcard softwares, reading
various books, listening to radio, watching TV and reading books/newspapers.

There's a Team Ж which covers Russian, Hebrew and French but I'm afraid I'm too much of a beginner for
their level.

I can also help the Turkish team somewhat if not 100%.

Edited by Hakan D on 29 December 2010 at 10:43am

Gerwin
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5052 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Japanese, French

Message 174 of 297
29 December 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Oh dear, looks like I'm too late to sign up for Team TAC! I've been very busy with preparing myself for
next year and totally forgot to check up on HTLAL for a while. Oh well, it's probably better for the rest of
the HTLAL'ers I won't be procastrinating for them as well ..

I'll be focussing on three, maybe four languages this year:

English: Reach C1, period, I think I can safely say my passive knowledge is more than enough for
C1, probably even near C2, but my active English is pretty bad, especially my spoken English. I'd also like
to get rid of my horrible Dutch accent.

German:: A1 -> B1, B2 if at all possible. At the moment I have a fair bit of passive knowledge, but I
have no active use of German at all. Starting May next year I'll be self-studying for my VWO diploma after
graduating for HAVO at the same time, which means I need a second language, besides English, for my
exams. I have to do approximately 3 years of German to get back on track, which should be doable.

Japanese: A1 -> B1, if I get higher, even better. I've been gathering some materials for a while now
and think I should have plenty to get going.

French: A1 -> B1. This will most likely be my least active language, except for the wanderlust
languages. I'd like to be able to get around in French if we'll be going there again for holidays.

Wanderlust: There are several more languages I'll most likely be dabbling in as well, including
Arabic, Icelandic, Russian, Finnish, Sami and a lot of other as well.

If there's still a team that might benefit from me I'd be happy to come along for the ride, but if not I'll just
do the solo challenge this year.

Gerwin.

Edited by Gerwin on 29 December 2010 at 11:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 175 of 297
29 December 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Ellasevia, though I wont join any team, I'd be glad to be an observer/corrector for the french team... I guess every team should have a native speaker looking at the log and correct it in order to help the team-mates to improve themselves... I read the whole 22 pages and didnt stumble on sthg like this... but maybe it's already done, and I just didnt see it !!!!

Now, I'd like to begin a 2011 TAC personnal challenge... I couldnt find any "button" shaped for this.. how I am supposed to do??

BTW you 're doing a great job!!!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5279 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 176 of 297
29 December 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
polyglossia wrote:
Ellasevia, though I wont join any team, I'd be glad to be an observer/corrector for the
french team... I guess every team should have a native speaker looking at the log and correct it in order to
help the team-mates to improve themselves... I read the whole 22 pages and didnt stumble on sthg like
this... but maybe it's already done, and I just didnt see it !!!!

Now, I'd like to begin a 2011 TAC personnal challenge... I couldnt find any "button" shaped for this.. how I
am supposed to do??

BTW you 're doing a great job!!!

That sounds like a brilliant idea! Are there any Russian volunteers for team Ж?

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version