United States
Joined 5717 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin, Persian

Message 17 of 297
15 December 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
I'll join TAC 2011.
I'll be continuing all my current language studies, and also adding on Swedish and Swahili. I don't think I'll be joining a team but I'll definitely participate in the individual TAC.
1 person has voted this message useful

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5650 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 18 of 297
15 December 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
I'd be interested in participating in anything to do with Italian since that is my sole
focus for 2011. Although I wouldn't have the slightest idea how TAC challenges work.

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 19 of 297
15 December 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
@ellasevia: Thanks for compiling the list of participants. Could you add me to the list
of those studying Spanish? Put me down for Turkish as well, although I probably won't
be starting in earnest until summer. Thank you!

Edited by thephantomgoat on 15 December 2010 at 7:23am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5279 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 297
15 December 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Solfrid Cristin - I was unsure whether you wanted to be added to the German, Italian, and/or French lists as well. Shall I do that?

No that's fine. I really want to focus on my Russian. I just didn't know whether you put together groups of several languages, so I thought it might be helpful to list all my languages, so you knew who I could join. If you had a Spanish/Russian team for instance where one was really good at Russian, one was at my level, one was an absolute beginner, one wanted Spanish conversation and one was an intermediate Spanish learner, then I could benefit from the knowledge of the one whose Russian was really good, cheer on and work together with the one on my level, help out with the absolute beginner's problems in Russian and be of use to those who are learning Spanish.Since this is my first year, I do not know how the the TTAC works.

Am I making any sense? :-)

Oh, and a comment to Lianne. If you are more comfortable working on your own, I will not interfere, but if the only thing that stops you from joining a team is the fear of letting them down, I think you should join. This is for fun and inspiration.

Oops. I just realized you are supposed to do two languages, in which case you had better put me on the German list as well, since that is the weakest among the languages that I consider that I speak.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 December 2010 at 11:09am

rob4languages
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5142 days ago

53 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English

Message 21 of 297
15 December 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Maybe I'll be join in TAC 2011 , I want to improve my French ( I almost forgot everything about french 'coz I didn't study it from 5 years or so ! ), Take my English higher and start Greek from Basic level
+ I'll try to start Mandarin like 2 characters by day ( just like reward for studying others languages )
I wish also to study Russian or Hebrew but maybe I'll add them by the fall of 2011

My plans for 2011:

English : B1 >>> B2 / C1
French : A1 >>> B1 / B2
Greek : A1 >>> A2 / B1
Mandarin : none >>> A2

p.s: I'll start my log maybe after 8 January :)

Edited by rob4languages on 15 December 2010 at 12:42pm

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5285 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 22 of 297
15 December 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I think I might join in the TAC 2011 (the first time I am joining such a challenge), which would give me a more structured way to motivate me what I want to achieve in the coming new year 2011. Hopefully my life professionally and privately would permit me to achieve this goal.

Anyway, here are my plan:

German

Further improve it. As I am planning to take the Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom in May 2011, I will be reading/have to read 4 German books (on top of the current German book that I am reading: "China - eine Weltmacht kehrt zurück" written by a German diplomat - Konrad Seitz). The 4 books that I have chosen are:

1. "Zukünft mit Mass", Wolfgang Schäuble
2. "Damit Deutschland wieder in Fahrt kommt", Wolfgang Clement
3. "Erika Mann. Eine jüdische Tochter", Viola Roggenkamp
4. "Joseph von Eichendorff", Otto A. Böhmer

Italian: aiming for PLIDA commerciale C1 in April 2011, followed by CELI C2 in July. I aim to read the novel "Il bambino senza nome" written by Mark Kurzem. The original English version of this book is 'The Mascot'.

Spanish: aiming for DELE C2 in August. I plan to spend 3 weeks of vacation in Madrid and Salamanca just to study Spanish somewhen in Summer next year. Hopefully I am able to read a Spanish work from Columbian writer - Gabriel Marcia Marquez.

Korean: aiming for B1 level. Guess I will aim for TOPIK level 2 somewhen in April 2011. According to the website, I can take the exam in Frankfurt, which is the nearest exam centre for me.

Russian: hopefully I can achieve B1 level by end-2011

Dutch: hopefully I can achieve B1 level by end-2011

Portuguese: hopefully I can achieve B2 level by end-2011. I will aim for the DIPLE B2 in November 2011.

French: further improve it. I read Le Monde and watch TV5 on a regular basis, and I hope to finish reading 4 French books in 2011, which are yet to be decided. One of the four, however, is definitely the "Le Comte de Monte Cristo".

And if time and energy still permit, I might dabble abit in Corsican and Turkish.

Oh, how can I forget the following 3 languages:

English: further improve it. I will be reading the following books:

1. "The Dragon's Gift: the real story of China in Africa" by Deborah Brautigam;
2. "The fall of the Roman Empire" by Peter Heather
3. "Modern China: the fall and rise of a great power", Jonathan Fenby

Japanese: further improve it. I will be reading the following book:

1. "Chi to hone", Yang Sogil. (I already finished volume 1 and have just started volume 2 last week)

Chinese: further improve it.

Oh my, I just realized that is quite alot of tasks that I am supposed to achieve in 2011, especially when I still have to juggle between work, my private life and the CFA exam in June....but anyway, this is supposed to be an annihilation challenge for 2011!    

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 15 December 2010 at 1:58pm

Shokhn
Australia
Joined 5038 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Dutch, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew

Message 23 of 297
15 December 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm happy to join up with whatever I can. I'm very keen to get involved with both speakers and learners of my target languages. I'll help people with English in exchange for the ones I'm doing. I'm online A LOT so I'm able to help often. I'd like to start a chat for individual languages or whatever. Just message me and ask. :) Good luck everyone!

My languages:
Dutch
Yiddish
Hebrew
happy to pick up anything else that is sufficiently oddball if there is a native speaking willing to get me interested and help. Probably not another Germanic language haha.

Where do I sign? :p

Alpha
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5743 days ago

22 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Polish, Greek

Message 24 of 297
15 December 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
I'd like to join in next years TAC, too. I just need a little bit of motivation, discipline and challenge :) especially all year round and not just at the beginning...

My languages for 2011 are basically the same as this year:

Japanese: I really don't know what level I should choose for this one. I'm probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate and my goal would be a firm intermediate with a tendency to advanced.

Modern Greek: very much a beginner like A1 or A2, I'm aiming for at least B1 next year

Polish: right now no more than A1, aiming for B1

So, please count me in :)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version