Joined 5440 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 57 of 297
16 December 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Sign me up for team TAC 2011!

Definite Goals:
Italian A2/B1 -> B2/C1 (I'm not exactly sure of my level)
Spanish A2/B1 -> B2/C1 (Again, I'm not sure)
German A1 -> B1

Possible Projects:
Catalan and Icelandic
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5426 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 58 of 297
17 December 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Change in goals! Same as before except desired B1 in Polish from A1.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5340 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 59 of 297
17 December 2010 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Count me in!

Spanish: B1 ---> C1
French:   A2 ---> C1
Italian: A1 ---> B2
German:   A1 ---> B1
Swedish: Beginner --> A2
Modern Greek: Beginner --> A2

I would also like to add a Slavic language, but I am torn between Russian, Polish, and Bosnian. I work with about 30 Bosnians, so I hear them talking all the time. It would be a good motivation to have people to practice with all day, every day! I also work with a bunch of Vietnamese, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that, yet!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6087 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 60 of 297
17 December 2010 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
This is coming along very nicely already! We now have 38 Team TAC participants and 5 additional Individual TAC participants, together studying 29 languages.

I have 13 language-based teams organized so far (Arabic, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish) but some more may be created depending on what languages other participants who have yet to sign up request. Like I said in the last update, I've tried to accommodate what people have declared their main language is, but there are a couple exceptions in order to keep teams within a reasonable size of 2-4 people. Things get shifted around almost every time someone new registers though, so these teams are by no means permanent, and even after I finally release the semi-finalized version you can still request changes. Do any other coordinators want to take a look at the team layout?

Next: thephantomgoat brought up the point of how we should name the teams once we have have finalized them. She mentioned that using the letters of the Latin alphabet could be a potential source of confusion and suggested that we select a new method of naming the teams for this year. I proposed that we could name them with the language's native name (Team 日本語, Team Türkçe, etc). Any other ideas?

TAC 2011 TEAM CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
Arabic: JPike1028, marvelgirll, Quabazaa, ReneeMona, Préposition
Czech: nuriayasmin, lerner
Dutch: ellasevia, marvelgirll, noriyuki_nomura, Shokhn, J S
English: rob4languages, noriyuki_nomura, ReneeMona
Esperanto: ellasevia, Lianne, LittleBoy, Luai_lashire
French: JPike1028, Cetacea, rob4languages, noriyuki_nomura, garyb, Quabazaa, ReneeMona, Whitefish, gizmo2012, troglodyte, Persona, Luai_lashire, Adrean, Buttons, M. Medialis, LittleBoy, J S, Kerrie
Georgian: ruskivyetr
German: thephantomgoat, ellasevia, ruskivyetr, Lianne, JPike1028, Solfrid Cristin, noriyuki_nomura, Quabazaa, ReneeMona, troglodyte, gizmo2012, Buttons, lerner, canada38, Kerrie
Greek: ellasevia, ruskivyetr, rob4languages, Alpha, Kerrie
Hebrew: Shokhn
Hungarian: Lapislazuli
Italian: magictom123, JPike1028, Oasis88, noriyuki_nomura, garyb, handfulofkeys, gizmo2012, diabolo menthe, Przemek, Lapislazuli, canada38, Kerrie
Japanese: ellasevia, noriyuki_nomura, Alpha, nuriayasmin, Luai_lashire, Buttons, M. Medialis
Korean: noriyuki_nomura
Mandarin: thephantomgoat, rob4languages, noriyuki_nomura, Whitefish, LittleBoy
Norwegian: nuriayasmin
Persian: ellasevia, Cetacea
Polish: thephantomgoat, Vos, Alpha, ruskivyetr
Portuguese: noriyuki_nomura
Romanian: ellasevia
Russian: ellasevia, ruskivyetr, Solfrid Cristin, JPike1028, noriyuki_nomura, handfulofkeys, Préposition, Przemek, Teango, M. Medialis
Spanish: Monte_Cristo, thephantomgoat, Vos, noriyuki_nomura, Quabazaa, gizmo2012, LittleBoy, nuriayasmin, lerner, amber5499, Teango, Buttons, canada38, Kerrie
Swahili: ellasevia, Przemek
Swedish: ellasevia, ruskivyetr, Przemek, Kerrie
Toki Pona: Lianne, LittleBoy
Turkish: Sierra, thephantomgoat, Przemek
Yiddish: Shokhn

TAC 2011 INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
Fabrizio: Afrikaans, Japanese, Spanish
Genocyde: German, Mandarin, Persian, Russian, Swahili, Swedish
Iolanthe: Dutch, Spanish
mick33: Afrikaans, Finnish, Spanish, Swedish
The Real CZ: Japanese, Korean

If you are wishing to participate in a 2011 TAC Challenge but don’t see your name on one of these lists, please announce your participation in this thread. If you notice any errors at all, please point them out to me and I’ll fix them right away. Also note that unless you specifically say otherwise, I will add you to the TTAC list.

Specific Concerns:
Buttons/Teango/Adrean/M. Medialis – I’ve added all of you to the languages to which you pertain (for example, Teango was listed for Russian and Spanish), but tell me if there are any mistakes with those. Was Swedish listed just because it’s M. Medialis’s native language or is one of you going to be studying that in 2011? Also, I was wondering whether you would be alright with being categorized according to language like everyone else so as to keep a degree of uniformity in team building. If not, that’s fine too because it takes some stress off the fast-growing French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Japanese Teams. Tell me what you decide. In the meantime I’ve just listed you in with everyone else on the language-based teams; Buttons and M. Medialis are on the Japanese Team, Teango is on the Russian Team, and Adrean is on the French Team.
Kerrie – Let me know which Slavic language you choose (or Vietnamese) and I’ll add it to the list.

Edited by ellasevia on 18 December 2010 at 1:26am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5340 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 61 of 297
17 December 2010 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Kerrie – Let me know which Slavic language you choose (or Vietnamese) and I’ll add it to the list.

I think Polish, although I probably won't add it seriously until later in the year.

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 62 of 297
17 December 2010 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Next: thephantomgoat brought up the point of how we should name the
teams once we have have finalized them. She mentioned that using the letters of the Latin
alphabet could be a potential source of confusion and suggested that we select a new
method of naming the teams for this year. I proposed that we could name them with the
language's native name (Team 日本語, Team Türkçe, etc). Any other ideas?

IPA symbols, anyone? We'd be using the symbols not shared with the Latin alphabet, of
course, to avoid confusion. This naming system would lend itself to stirring team cheers
like those, say, for our (imagined) Team ʁ: "Go Team Voiced Uvular Fricatives!"

Edited by thephantomgoat on 17 December 2010 at 7:36am

LauraM
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5297 days ago

77 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 297
17 December 2010 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Someone asked if there was a testing site or area where you could get an idea of what level you fall under, but I
think the question may have been overlooked. Does anyone have an answer to that question?

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6239 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 64 of 297
17 December 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Put me down for Cantonese and Italian.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version