Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 73 of 82
22 September 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing your Hebrew book! I know the feeling of not getting anywhere, but I fear that this is just something we have to live whith when we are doing this on the side. What I would have given to have one of the long lazy summers of my youth, with plenty of time on my hands!

Still it looks like you are doing great progress. I removed Greek from my list of languges too yesterday. I love it, and I will learn more, but right now I have not had the time to open the book since June, and it would have been plain and simple fraud to keep it on the list of actively studied languages.

Keep up the good work!
1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 74 of 82
23 September 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot! Of course I also thought about Greek now and then, still I am very happy with Hebrew at the moment, so I am not too sad about it.
And yes, working like a donkey makes you slow like a turtle and meshugge, but I wish you that you feel like a fish in the water in your holiday!

(*not sure if the phrases are all from Hebrew/Yiddish originally)

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 75 of 82
14 October 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 37-40: September 12th - October 9th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 33 hours (1,2 h/day)
TST in 2011: 361,25 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 150 (37,5/week)
Average per week in 2011: 46

- Etzion lessons 62-65 (end of unit 5)
- finished Colloquial unit 8

English

TST four weeks: 0,75 hour
TST in 2011: 7,75 hours

- Past Tense Progressive

A little bit belated this time. The last weeks have been so-so, like always it seems, could be better but worse too. I only managed to finish half of the number of Etzion lessons I wanted to, which, I fear, could happen again in the next time. My learning approach still focuses too much on reading and writing, when I actually wanted to do something about my listening (and speaking). I tried to listen more, but I saw it's not so easy to do this regularly. So, knowing of the motivational aspect of a log and abandoning a premise I made at the beginning of the year, I will now count TV/movie and radio time, at least when spend focused. I also started translating Hebrew songs which is even a bit fun, since it's not so difficult anymore but still requires a lot of use of the dictionary. Also, I hope this will lead to some more vocabulary input to Anki than in the last weeks. Maybe I can even get to 3.500 Anki cards at the end of the year.
For a long time I thought Wann wird's mal wieder richtig Sommer was an original song, until I realized it's a cover from City of New Orleans. Actually, it was שלום לך ארץ נהדרת, which opened my ears. Still, I think the original song is the best of them. Here, however, the Hebrew and the German version (with Dutch accent) of the song. Different lyrics in the covers, it's not about this train anymore. And maybe it's covered in other languages too.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 14 October 2011 at 10:07am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 76 of 82
07 November 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 41-44: October 10th - November 6th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 17 hours (0,6 h/day)
TST in 2011: 378,25 hours (1,2 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 28 (one each day)
Average per week in 2011: 43

- Etzion lesson 66

English

TST four weeks: 0,25 hour
TST in 2011: 8 hours

- Anki

After having finished the Etzion lesson and seeing what an extensive one the next one would be, and being again frustrated with too high Anki reviews each day when other things had interfered too, I decided to make it a lame period. So, 3.500 cars are out of reach now, I guess. Overall, I am waiting for the new year to make something like an imaginary cut. Before, I hope to reach 3.000 nontheless. I spend some time translating a song, but that has been pretty much the rest of what I did in the last weeks, including daily Anki reviews of 25, now 20 minutes, with a downward trend toward 15. So, I believe I'll start for some time lame again, but hoping to come out this new routine before it becomes too comfortable.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 07 November 2011 at 2:56pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5791 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 77 of 82
07 November 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
For a long time I thought Wann wird's mal wieder richtig Sommer was an original song, until I realized it's a cover from City of New Orleans. Actually, it was שלום לך ארץ נהדרת, which opened my ears. Still, I think the original song is the best of them. Here, however, the Hebrew and the German version (with Dutch accent) of the song. Different lyrics in the covers, it's not about this train anymore. And maybe it's covered in other languages too.

What a beautiful song is "City of New Orleans" sung in Hebrew! I prefer the Hebrew version towards the original English version. I saved the video sung in Hebrew among my You Tube favourites.

Fasulye

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 78 of 82
07 November 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Love that song! I really wish I had time to learn Hebrew. I enjoyed so much the few word I learned all those years ago.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 79 of 82
09 November 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Ok, maybe both versions are as good^^
Solfrid Cristin, you really have to learn Hebrew, you seem to like it so much! So, it has of course it's potential place in the fiveteen years plan. What will be my plan for the next decades? That's really too long. At the moment, I'm just more looking forward to get my Hebrew to a solild level and, of course, polishing my English (starting more or less again next year).

(edit: sloppy reading, hopefully, noone realized it)

Edited by Meelämmchen on 09 November 2011 at 10:38pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 80 of 82
06 December 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 45-48: November 7th - December 4th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 17,5 hours (0,6 h/day)
TST in 2011: 395,75 hours (1,15 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 46 (11,5/week)
Average per week in 2011: 40

- Etzion lesson 67

English

TST four weeks: 3,25 hours
TST in 2011: 11,25 hours

- Anki

Ancient Greek

TST four weeks: 0,25 hour
TST in 2011: 29 hours

- Anki

I mixed up things a bit in the last entry. I didn't intend to top 3.000 Anki cards in Hebrew this year, but to add 2.250, which would make something like 3.300 by the end of the year. So, just to clear this up. Since the last weeks haven't been so good in regard of this goal, it seems now like a little challange to reach it still in the last ones of this year. (Of course it wouldn't be the only goal I haven't reached.)
The last weeks were pretty much became a copy of the last ones. One Etzion lesson, one translated song, too few TV time, the rest again Anki.
As for English I added some phrases and idioms and I should do more of this. Picking a common word from the dictionary and looking for potential phrases which include it. So, I first time heard of to win the ashes. But who is interested in Cricket in Germany? Yet, it seems like a must know for a very good English level. Also, some grammar practises, but nothing really new. Next year! I don't know about Ancient Greek and next year yet, but I spend fiveteen minutes repeating parts of the Anki deck and got maybe 60% right.
So, last four weeks now. I hope to finish my Hebrew year with 425+ hours.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version