Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 81 of 82
13 January 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Oh, I really needed to pull up my thread from the depths of the forum with all the new logs showing up (how many will sink soon). But before I'll give the year's review, here is what I did the last four weeks of the year.

Summary Weeks 49-52: December 5th - December 31st

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 26,25 hours (0,9 h/day)
TST in 2011: 422 hours (1,15 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 118 (27,5/week)
Average per week in 2011: 39

- Etzion lesson 68
- Colloquial unit 9

English

TST four weeks: 0,5 hours
TST in 2011: 11,75 hours

- Anki

I actually only remember that I did the two lessons and that I have at least started to read my first Hebrew children's story in the last days of the year. A lot of stress and also some necessary diversion prevented better numbers in December.

As for the year's review I should start with the goals of the beginning of the year. I finished my German Hebrew learning book, but then I wasn't able to mobilize enough effort to finish also Etzion's book. However, I got through 75% of it, which is not too bad. The FSI and hebrewpodcast ressources I gave up actually a long time ago. They just didn't fit me and I just wished I had focussed more on SZT, Etzion, and Colloquial already in the beginning of the year.
Anki. In the end it had been 39 cards per week instead of the 42 I planned. I think ~40 per week are not too easy to maintain. Especially in the last months of the year I really had my problems with it. Maybe I'm too careful with adding new words since I usually only take new ones mainly from the lessons. Now that my Hebrew got a bit better, I can also take some words from songs or from reading things, but with my study time decreasing this was also a rare thing I did. However, I think I did not take a single word from the dictionary, but maybe I can use it more too when my Hebrew gets a bit better, now I'm still just careful of misunderstanding things.
I mentioned the children's story. Reading children's books was definitely not a part of my learning in the last year, I just started so in the last days. As my goal for this year is to read more and actually to read very much if it's possible, I hope to soon finish this one and read others afterwards.

Regarding the CEFR levels in speaking, listening, reading, and writing, I fear not much has changed since the middle of September. I wrote back then that I would estimate it is all in all A2+. If my tortoise speed of the last months has changed anything, maybe when I concede and add some digesting and consolidating, I could say it is now mit viel Mühe und Not B1-. However, comparing it to the beginning of the year, I did most progress in writing. My hopes regarding listening have been highly disappointed, this was just too optimistic, yet I didn't work too much on listening/speaking too and focussed mainly on reading and writing (the grammar orientated way).

It's a strange thing with the CEFR levels and their interpretation. 422 hours (+ one crappy year before) didn't get me to an average or even solid B1 (or what I think it is). ReneeMona, for example, didn't made a B2 with 780 hours this year, as I see it (or maybe knowing a language means C1, I don't know). On the other hand, I wondered how Ellasevia will make it to B1 in Finnish in 50 hours (+20 from the last year), plus all the other languages. It's like make it in two or three good weeks.

This year. I won't make a new log, the individual challenge is nice, but I think it would just be nicer to have some team members. For the new year I will of course continue my Hebrew studies and aim for B2. More listening, speaking, more reading, and writing too. So actually more of everything in terms of real practical use. More use of native materials. I'm looking forward to enjoy hopefully soon all of these things. On the other side, there are still moments when you want to touch your forehead out of pure stupidity, for example when you realize long after you have learned these words that כמובן is related to מובן, of course to understandable.

The other languages. I decided to pause Ancient Greek this year. I fear to give up after a few months again. This year, however, shall be a year of reviewing English grammar. With the new year already twelve days old, I should soon start with it...

Finally, a friendly thanks to all who have commented or helped me here. And to conclude the log, again the numbers.

Hebrew

TST in 2011: 422 hours (1,15 h/day)

Ancient Greek

TST in 2011: 29 hours

English

TST in 2011: 11,75 hours

!שלום
1 person has voted this message useful

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5045 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 82 of 82
16 January 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Hello Meelämmchen,

It's nice to see you've been moving on with Hebrew and I'm sorry to let you down with the Team ש in 2011. However a surprise recruitment to the army and all kinds of issues popping out in late 2011 just impeded all of my language studies. Hopefully 2012 will be better. Keep up the good work.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version