Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 42 of 82
28 February 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Greek question:

Η δ ιερεια χαιρει και τη Ηερα (dat.) ευχεται τοις υιοις παρεχειν ευδαιμονιαν.

I hope it's understandable, I can't add the accents etc. here.

My initial question is answered, but I have also some problems translating this sentence.

a) The priestess is glad and is praying to Hera, that she shall give her sons bliss.
b) The priestess is glad and is begging Hera to give her sons bliss.

Actually this wasn't problem, but then I got all worked up because the AcI wasn't really introduced in my Greek grammar and I also missed an accusative in the subordinate sentence, and it can't be bliss, because there is no verb in passive. Does Hera is contained in "to give", when Hera actually is dative in the main sentence? I think the translation b) is ok and I also think a) too, but the more I thought about it, the more I became sceptic about a) and couldn't explain the translation.

Hebrew.

.אתמול שמעתי את השיר "אבא" של אביתר בנאי
כששמיעה יכולתי להבין משפט אחד: "אבא, אני צריך לדעת שאתה אוהב אותי"
אני מקוה שזה נכונה
כשאני שומע עברית, אני יכול להבין רק משפטיפ מעטים מאוד
אז אני שוב צריך ללמוד מילים חדשות בשבועים הבאים. זה חשוב, אבל גם דבר קשה
השבוע היו לי שנים ימים גרועים, אז כל השבוע לא היה כל כך טוב
גם למדתי רק שיעור יוני אתד

Yesterday I listened to the song "Father" by Eviatar Banai. While listening I was able to understand one sentence: "Father, I need to know, that you love me." I hope I heard it correctly. When I'm hearing Hebrew, I can only understand very few sentences. So I have to learn new words in the upcoming weeks again. This is important, but also a difficult thing. This week I had two bad days, so the whole week was not so good. Also I learned only one Greek lesson.

The double adjectives are very likely wrong, I know, I can't remember the rules now, they were introduced in my Biblical Hebrew book very early (which I haven't touched for months), but not yet in my current ressources. Again I should have had a second look on it, but now I'm glad to have written a text again at all. I only had written some sentences on lang8, and I really need more writing practice.

edit: thanks for the greetings, Kuikentje!

Edited by Meelämmchen on 28 February 2011 at 11:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 43 of 82
09 March 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Without words, worst week this year, but actually not really my fault. So, just a quick update on the last week.

Week 9: February 28th - March 6th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 2,5 hours (0,35 h/day)
TST in 2011: 80,5 hours (1,25 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 0
Average per week in 2011: 35

- just some repitition

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0 hours
TST in 2011: 15,5 hours (0,25 h/day)

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 45 of 82
09 March 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Meelämmchen wrote:
Without words, worst week this year, but actually not really my fault. So, just a quick update on the last week.

:-( I hope that the next week will be bit better.

me too :)

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 46 of 82
10 March 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
Kuikentje wrote:
:-( I hope that the next week will be bit better.

me too :)

Thank you to both of you!! I have stopped this free fall and am back on course again. :) Good luck with your studies, too!

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 47 of 82
14 March 2011 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
At least a passable week again.

Week 10: March 7th - March 13th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 9 hours (1,3 h/day)
TST in 2011: 89,5 hours (1,25 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 65
Average per week in 2011: 38

- SZT lesson 28
- Etzion lessons 41-43

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,25 hours
TST in 2011: 15,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- reviewed Anki

This week I have to break the 100 hours in Hebrew and for Greek I need to get started again. I already reviewed the current Aorist conjugations this morning and hope to end the repitition phase very soon to get to the new lessons. For Hebrew during the last weeks I started to add more and more sentences and grammar notes to Anki. Although it helps, I now can't really say anymore how many Hebrew words I know, I think it's probably 90-95% new words and the rest is grammar reminders and example sentences. I have started now learning seriously the past tense with Etzion, starting with the verb "to be. Also, I am on Skype now and already talked to an Israeli, but only in English, which is good anyway. It was not so hard as I thought, but my accent, it must be terrible! But I'm glad to have Skype now, it's great!

אוקיי, ביי ולהתראות

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 48 of 82
21 March 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
I reached the 100 hours. To celebrate it, I will add a bit of colour. For now I'm glad to have found a blue/white picture of a bust of Socrates, because, in the end, the modern flag of Greece won't fit to Ancient Greek, although it would have been a nice combination with the flag of Israel. Ellasevia, ich hoffe, Du hast nichts dagegen. Du hattest nur nicht auf meine Anfrage geantwortet, die vielleicht auch in Teangos log und angesichts Deiner stressigen letzten Woche untergegangen sein mag.

Week 11: March 14th - March 20th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 10,5 hours (1,5 h/day)
TST in 2011: 100 hours (1,25 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 56
Average per week in 2011: 39

- SZT lesson 29
- Etzion lessons 44, 45

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 1 hour (0,15 h/day)
TST in 2011: 16,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- reviewed Hellas lesson 14

The good start with Greek last week has fizzled out very soon. I realized again that one hour per week is not enough, but the problem is the high priority of Hebrew and if I don't get the things I wanted to do done here, then it means most times a very bad week for Greek.
Hebrew: With lesson 45 I have now come to an end with unit 3 of Etzion. I'm getting now into the past tense, זמן-עבר. I also looked up the pages for past tense from SZT again and the next days I still will review a lot of things concerning past tense. Also, Etzion has a lot of practices for repitition that conclude every unit. I have to do them yet and I think they are very, very necessary too at this point. So, at least the first part of the week shall be repitition, not forgetting the Anki reviews, which are climbing up again.
I think a log makes you realizing how time flies, March is almost over! 100 hours so far, on the one hand I think it's not very much, but on the other hand I have also realized what a negative effect days on which you are doing nothing can have. So I am appreciating more the one hour and fifteen minutes I did on average every day.
To add this finally, I think I will end using the Phrase Book. I just don't get used to it. I am still undecided on FSI, but I didn't do nothing at all with it the last weeks.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 22 March 2011 at 2:08pm

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version