Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 49 of 82
28 March 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Again a bad week with Greek. I made it through the last lesson very fast and after it I didn't find back to learning Greek. It's now only one lesson left to review, because I then reach the point at which I stopped translating maybe like a year ago. So after this one I shall see if I can do better. With Hebrew I was doing a lof of excercises and still have some left to do. Right now I am about to familiarize myself with the past tense and I will keep on doing so maybe even the next months. It's still a long road to the future tense and until then most of the lessons will deal with the peculiarities of the past tense. In the meantime I have to just do more writing (also in cursive) and, hopefully, speaking practice, too. Besides these not too problematic matters, I am really content with how it is working at the moment.

Week 12: March 21st - March 27th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 11,75 hours (1,7 h/day)
TST in 2011: 111,75 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 60
Average per week in 2011: 41

- SZT lesson 30
- additional Etzion excercises
- Colloquial Hebrew unit 5

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,5 hour
TST in 2011: 17,25 hours (0,2 h/day)

- reviewed Hellas lesson 15

Having kept up with numbers shows me now, I got worse and worse since the beginning of the year, although the last 4 weeks were so bad only because of one really bad week. I think, however, it's possible that the next four weeks can get quite productive again.

Summary Weeks 9-12, February 28th - March 27th

Hebrew

TST: 33,75 hours
New Anki cards: 181

- Etzion lessons 41-45
- SZT lessons 28-30
- Colloquial Hebrew unit 5

Ancient Greek

TST: 1,75 hours

- reviewed Hellas lessons 14 and 15

edit: I just read Sprachprofi's A2 level description on the 'German A2 in six weeks' thread and according to it I am now already on A2 with Hebrew, probably even on the way to B1. For me it sounds a bit too optimistic, although I hope it's true. Pre-intermediate is just sounding like far away from my level and I am still working on the basics.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 28 March 2011 at 1:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 50 of 82
05 April 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
.שבוע טיפוסי, מעט יונית, הרבה עברית

Having done my first excercises with past tense in Hebrew and listening now to verbs in past tense in the lesson texts more often, I hope it will not take me months to really get accustomed to it, like I thought. However, there are still a lot of lessons until future tense is introduced in my course books. I have probably still have to take this time this way or another. But all is fine with Hebrew, except that I haven't done cursive writing this week again and that the Anki reviews remain at high numbers. Finally, giving the current mileage of my main ressources, I would say that I am now half way through with Etzion and that I soon will start working on the last third of SZT.
Ancient Greek: I forgot there is the W4 repition lesson after lesson 16, so I will end the repition phase only this week (which means it really took me a quarter of a year to repeat 20 lessons). The next unit then will be about ΛΑΚΩΝΙΚΗ and ΜΕΣΣΗΝΗ, starting with some lessons about Sparta. Did I say, that the book suggests for pupils in school to do three to four lessons per week to "easily" get through the book in two years? I would be happy to achieve one per week, which from now on would also take me still a good two years, on condition I will have no holidays...

Week 13: March 28th - April 3rd

Hebrew

TST this Week: 9,25 hours (1,3 h/day)
TST in 2011: 121 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 35

- Etzion lesson 46
- SZT lesson 31

Ancient Greek

TST in 2011: 17,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- reviewed Hellas lesson 16

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 51 of 82
11 April 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
What a routine affair my last weeks. Every week looks pretty much the same, like Hebrew 9, Greek 0,5. I really wanted to increase the numbers a bit (at least in Hebrew), but it didn't work somehow.
So, this week my goal is to do Hellas lesson 17. If I can do it and, at the same time, maintain my Hebrew level, I will be happy. So much for a short weekly report!

Week 14: April 4th - April 10th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 9,5 hours (1,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 130,5 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 48

- Etzion lessons 47-49

Ancient Greek

TST in 2011: 18,25 hours (0,2 h/day)

- reviewed Hellas lesson W4

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 52 of 82
18 April 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
All in all, I have achieved what I wanted to achieve. I finished the first new Greek lesson ('Have you ever been to Sparta? Yes, and I heard of ...'). It introduced the past tense of 'to be' and a quite tricky concept of the negative or negation, which made translating sentences with negations really a hard work. Now I hope to finish this week again one lesson.
Also, Hebrew was fine, maybe I was too lazy the last days of the week. I finished each a lesson from SZT and Etzion and after it I actually only repeated the vocabulary in Anki, as well as starting some writing practice with the cursive alphabet. Now that I have written the letters so often, I think they are good looking, at least they can look good, if you write them well. At first I thought the print alphabet is more beautiful, and I still think so, but with the right curves and sweeps a cursive text can look very beautiful as well. This week in Hebrew I think I will go for another Etzion lesson and for the next unit of Colloquial. It should be enough and I should do more drillings again. I yet have almost sero speaking practice, I am more on A1 level on this. Hopefully, this changes in the next weeks/months. Also, the numbers are still too passive, not so speak of past tense. "But it's all nice on ice, allright."

Week 15: April 11th - April 17th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 8,75 hours (1,3 h/day)
TST in 2011: 139,25 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 53
Average per week in 2011: 42

- Etzion lesson 50
- SZT lesson 32

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 2,5 hours (0,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 20,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- Hellas lesson 17

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 54 of 82
20 April 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Merci! Yes, it's getting a bit warmer again and it's also very sunny here. Now, on this not so early morning anymore, I can see no clouds in the sky. I don't saw sheep either lately, but I am sure they are having their fun, if they can be on meadows. Lucky ones. If you see the sheep, of which you have spoken, again, greet them with a warm mee from me! I also wish you the best with your languages! Have a nice week!

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 55 of 82
25 April 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
In Hebrew I have achieved my goals. Actually I thought I could do more, but in the end the Colloquial's unit 6 turned out to be a bit too much, and I even have some exercises to finish out of it. Because of this unit I also have set my new personal record for adding cards to Anki per week (72) and at the same time this has lifted both my Hebrew decks beyond the mark of 1.500 cards. Now the first four four-weeks sections of the year are over. My conclusion is, looking back to all the lessons I have finished and to all the Anki cards added, that I did well after all. However, I had a listening practice on phone with my Israeli language partner and for now I would say that listening comprehension is a quite difficult feature in Hebrew. Even in slow pace it's still fast, I just couldn't come up with the sentences too often. And known words also are still quite hard to understand in fluent speaking, some times at least.
Another thing I wanted to say is, that I think the log really helps staying focussed and avoiding at least some of the typical learning distractions. And it helps to reflect on your learning, it shows you what you can achieve in weeks and months. Also, I want to thank again all who have helped me here so far.
My Ancient Greek learning was not so good, but without the log I think I would have done worse. This week I was a bit scarred off by the difficulties of the latest lesson. And with this really big Hebrew unit in my back, I decided to delay the Hellas lesson on this week. I did some preparations and reviewed some things from the last lesson, so after all one hour.

Week 16: April 18th - April 24th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 11 hours (1,6 h/day)
TST in 2011: 150,25 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 72
Average per week in 2011: 44

- Etzion lesson 51
- Colloquial Hebrew unit 6
- topped 1.500 Anki cards

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 1 hour
TST in 2011: 21,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- some reviews, preparations for next Hellas lesson

So, the comprehension of the fourth four-week section of the year. Maybe in the course of this week I shall think a bit about how to show the development throughout the four-week segments.

Summary Weeks 13-16, March 28th - April 24th

Hebrew

TST: 38,5 hours
New Anki cards: 208

- Etzion lessons 46-51
- SZT lessons 31 and 32
- Colloquial Hebrew unit 6
- topped 1.500 Anki cards
- started practising to write the cursive alphabet

Ancient Greek

TST: 4,5 hours

- reviewed Hellas lessons 16 and W4, finished lesson 17

Finally, goals for the seventeenth week of the year. Greek: finishing Hellas lesson 18, and Hebrew: one Etzion lesson (it's a short one) and one SZT lesson (a very long one), and finishing the rest of Colloquial's exercises.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 26 April 2011 at 1:58pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 56 of 82
28 April 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Some music links on the occasion of having seen recently Sivan Shavit recommended on the Hebrew profile thread, which was four, five years ago, and she made so far a lot of nice songs, for example Vanil.
She sings:אני אוהבת אותך ואת אוהבת אותי

Ma avarech by Daliah Lavi. She is also a septaglot.

And a German sailorman's song, Ingrid Caven version, Die großen weißen Vögel.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 28 April 2011 at 7:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version