Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 65 of 82
07 June 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
I couldn't come up with the new schedule. I haven't done any English on Sunday at all, and on my Greek days I did not even get half an hour each done. Again, yesterday only some minutes Greek, so I need to catch this up today. I am still confident that it's a good plan, it's just me... At first, I didn't want to count English Anki cards, but now that I see how lazy one can be, I will do it. By the way, hard to choose a flag for English, finally I took the Union Jack. Hebrew. The second time now only eight hours and one lesson. Somehow, the latest Etzion lessons are too long to do two per week (considering 300 Anki reviews per day), too short to be content with having done one per week. And when I looked at lesson 59 yesterday, it seems it could get another week like this. So, maybe this week I should orientate myself by this motto (I can only do the regular stresses here):

Νέου εστι πολλα μανθάνειν.

Week 22: May 30th - June 5th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 8,25 hours (1,2 h/day)
TST in 2011: 206,25 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 38
Average per week in 2011: 43

- Etzion lesson 58

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,75 hour
TST in 2011: 27,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- continued Hellas lesson 20

English

TST this Week: 0,75 hours
TST in 2011: 0,75 hours

New Anki Cards this week: 8

- present tense simple, to be

P.S.: 200 hours Hebrew! !איזה יופי
1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 66 of 82
13 June 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Not yet in the swing of things as I wanted to. Even Hebrew this week felt like really hard work. Yet not as hard as Greek (πόνος), it's still too much puzzling, but what can you expect from 30-40 minutes per week? English this week was not so good too, but I watched "The Terminator" and I wrote down things from it while watching it, which I still need to add to Anki. Anyway, I gotta ditch this week and from now on my distraction habbits are targeted for termination. I'll be back!

Week 23: June 6th - June 12th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 10 hours (1,45 h/day)
TST in 2011: 216,25 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 61
Average per week in 2011: 44

- Etzion lesson 59
- began Colloquial Hebrew unit 7

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,75 hour
TST in 2011: 28,5 hours (0,2 h/day)

English

TST this Week: 0,75 hours
TST in 2011: 1,5 hours

New Anki Cards this week: 8
Average per week in 2011: 8

- more present tense simple

Edited by Meelämmchen on 13 June 2011 at 12:49pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 67 of 82
20 June 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I guess the silly season started. At the moment I am not getting done anything with Ancient Greek. I will drop it for the summer and probably autumn as well (if a moderator reads this, so please take the Ancient Greek tag away - thank you!). It's too complicated to make progress with one hour or two per week and I am just not able spending more time on it at the moment, although I also disagree that you need at least one hour per day to learn a language (like posted on a thread here recently). I think four hours per week would be good with Ancient Greek. So unfortunatly, instead of terminating my distraction habbits, I terminated Ancient Greek. Farewell!
My grammar based approach on English, however, works fine. For instance, I totally forgot that you don't use verbs of thinking, perceiving etc. in present tense progressive. I hope that I have followed this rule intuitively before, but it's good now to read about things like this. And it's interesting.
Hebrew. This week was more average than good, only did the minimum of things I wanted to do, so the last four weeks I only did four Etzion lessons and one Colloquial unit, which is a rather bad result, but time-wise the numbers were ok. So this maybe points out to things getting a bit more difficult. Having not used SZT the last four weeks, I will use it now to go through HITPA'EL present and past tense (three lessons, 37-39). I also think about making a tour de force through the rest of this book. After HITPA'EL there are two lessons about present and past tense NIF'AL, one PU'AL present tense, and one HUF'AL (all tenses). Then with lesson 44 (of 50) futur is introduced until lesson 47. The strategy is to write down the most important things from the grammar and getting a passive knowledge of the remaining binyanim including their future endings while doing so. The grammar at SZT's is just more concentrated and therefore better to learn (additionally, it's explained in German). Having done it, I could consolidate and make more active all the things when they reappear at Etzion (and Colloquial), which I hope they do. Plus, I would only have three SZT lessons left to do, which would feel like a milestone.
I really prefer this SZT-focussed approach at the moment and will see if I can continue with it after the HITPA'EL part.
Finally, since it's silly season, I decided to update only four-weekly the next time.

Week 24: June 13th - June 19th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 9,5 hours (1,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 225,75 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 30
Average per week in 2011: 44

- Etzion lesson 60
- finished Colloquial Hebrew unit 7

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,25 hour
TST in 2011: 28,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

English

TST this Week: 1,75 hours (0,25 h/day)
TST in 2011: 3,25 hours (0,15 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 22
Average per week in 2011: 13

- present tense progressive

Summary Weeks 21-24, May 23rd - June 19th

Hebrew

TST: 36 hours
New Anki cards: 163

- Etzion lessons 57-60
- Colloquial Hebrew unit 7

Ancient Greek

TST: 2 hours

- began Hellas lesson 20

English

TST: 3,25 hour
New Anki cards: 38

- present tense simple and progressive

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 68 of 82
19 July 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 25-28: June 20th - July 17th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 36,75 hours (1,3 h/day)
TST in 2011: 262,5 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards last four weeks: 240 (60/week)
Average per week in 2011: 46

- SZT lesson 37-41
- Etzion lesson 61
- got to 2.000 Anki cards

English

TST four weeks: 3,25 hours (0,1 h/day)
TST in 2011: 6,5 hours (0,15 h/day)

New Anki Cards last four weeks: 46 (11,5/week)
Average per week in 2011: 12

- past tense simple

Hebrew: A very good start, but I lost a lot of momentum in the last two weeks, which is even more true for English. However, I did good in vocabulary, almost ten new cards every day. I hope to be able to do repeat that. If I also can do again five SZT lessons, I will have finished the future tense part in the next four weeks. I think after that I will go through the rest of the book, so I can put it aside. It will be the first language book I've gone through on my own. Then I need to work more on vocabulary, understanding, speaking. Oh, a rather embarrassing thing happened to me perhaps two weeks ago. When I had to fill in a form, I didn't manage writing the z, because I started to write it like צ, a kind of mirror image z. I had to start writing the whole form again.
English: At least I went through past simple. A lot refreshing to do. I started using a list of the most frequently used words. I'm curious to see when I will see more unknown vocabulary in comparison to known one. Now I'm at about 3.000 and I had to jot down only single words here and there.
Like always after writing an entry, I hope I was doing better when writing the next one. I will just see.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 19 July 2011 at 8:48am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 69 of 82
16 August 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 29-32: July 18th - August 14th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 26,5 hours (0,95 h/day)
TST in 2011: 289 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 93 (23/week)
Average per week in 2011: 43

- SZT lessons 42-47

English

TST four weeks: 0 hour
TST in 2011: 6,5 hours (0,1 h/day)

A disappointing period, worst weeks of the year, but I felt not so good most of the time and was sometimes frustrated with the way of the presentation of the future, probably just not ideal without teacher, still very good after all. However, I have finished the SZT lessons that I wanted to finish and got a vague idea of the Hebrew future tense anyways. I suppose it's a bit easier than the past tense. Although I added several example sentences into Anki, it's all still unfamiliar to me. Since the lessons were really grammar based, there wasn't a lot of new vocabulary, so bad numbers here too.
The goal now is to finish SZT, three lessons to go. They will contain mainly of some remarks about the subjunctive, some new conjunctions, and some differences between Modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew. After that there is quite a huge appendix with lots of new vocabulary, you could call it additional vocabulary or easy grammar lessons. So, as bad I've done in the last weeks the better in can get in next weeks, should I be able to finish the book. I guess it could also mean daily Anki reviews of 300. If there is time left I will of course have a look at the remaining resources.
Well, with English, I will stop making Anki statistics, but hope to continue my grammar journey for the rest of the year.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 16 August 2011 at 10:46am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5791 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 82
16 August 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I removed the "Ancient Greek" tag and placed an "English" tag instead.

Good luck with your studies!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 August 2011 at 7:31pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 71 of 82
17 August 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much! I hope the English tag is rightly here.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 72 of 82
12 September 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Summary Weeks 33-36: August 15th - September 11th

Hebrew

TST four weeks: 39,25 hours (1,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 328,25 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki cards last four weeks: 317 (79/week)
Average per week in 2011: 47

- SZT lessons 48-50 + appendix (finished the book)
- started Colloquial unit 8
- topped 2.500 Anki cards

English

TST four weeks: 0,5 hour
TST in 2011: 7 hours

- Anki

Hurray! Finished the Lehrbuch der neuhebräischen Sprache (Iwrit) by SZT, almost at least. On the second-last page there still is Hatikvah. I think I am going to memorize it and try to sing it, because it's a great song/anthem. So this will finally finish the book, after I started it almost two years ago and made my first steps into systematical learning Hebrew.
So, taking the opportunity of reaching my first milestone to take stock, from worst to best:

Listening: I still can understand only single words, very rarely several words in a row. Since I never hear slowly spoken conversations about family or work (which would be A2), I guess I have to say I am A1(+) here, so still on a very, very basic level. B1 would be to be able to follow slow spoken radio programs and getting the main information out of it, but then, where you can hear slow spoken Hebrew on the radio?

Speaking: Since you have to listen in order to speak/answer, my level here is not that high either. So speaking is A2, but it's still very rusty and I am far away from B1, which is speaking spontaneously about more complex topics.

Reading: Somewhere between A2 and B1. I can read menus, easy texts, as well as common words from daily life. However, that is still very much staccato, but it became much better than in the beginning of the year. Reaching B2 will still take much time, since it's described as being able to get the gist of contemporary literature.

Writing: With sometimes using the dictionary (mainly to check spelling) and having time to write, I can write about experiences, plans, dreams, etc. and giving short explanations. So that means writing is B1. Next step would be to write more detailed and having a better argumentation and form (=B2).

All in all, it makes A2+. Sadly, I think I wrote something like that some weeks or months ago. However, I hope to be on B1 level passively, so the next weeks (or months) I need to catch up actively, using Etzion's audios. And also more TV/radio (if I just could understand more, I could add it to my learning time, now it still would be useless). Speaking of my other main resource, Etzion's introductory course, I now need to finish two lessons each week to finish it by the end of the year, which ought to be doable.

Oh yes, what great weeks Anki-wise, ten new card each day! Good for me, normal probably for others here...

Finally, I wasn't able to spend any time on English grammar, so I just reviewed Anki and added some words.

edit: several mistakes

Edited by Meelämmchen on 12 September 2011 at 5:05pm

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version