United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4839 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 17 of 30
18 January 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
A friend from Egypt said that arabicpod.net sounded Saudi to him. But now, I don't know
if he meant the Saudi dialect, or Fus7a with a Saudi accent.

I do think it's a nice podcast. I also think it's worth registering so that you can get
the transcripts for each lesson.
1 person has voted this message useful

Insomniac
United Kingdom
Joined 4757 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 30
18 January 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
One of the presenters, Mohammed Moshaya, was raised in Saudi so I think it was in
reference to his accent.

They normally say they are using 'classical arabic' and when they do use any colloquial
phrases such as 'leish' instead of 'limaadha' they do point this out.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4839 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 19 of 30
18 January 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
This is a strange thread ... the OP says he has been studying Classical Arabic for 3
months, but that he memorized the entire Quran 15 years ago ... and then confuses
Classical Arabic with modern fu97a (fusha, fuSHa, لفصحى, et al.).

These terms are pretty standard:

"Classical Arabic" refers to the Arabic at the time of Mohammed (hence: classic).

"Colloquial Arabic" refers to the dialects, the language spoken on the streets
(Levantine, Maghrebi, Egyptian, et al.).

"Modern Arabic" (as was pointed out earlier) goes by a number of different names:
fu97a, MSA, literary Arabic, academic Arabic, and I am sure there are others.

These are not the same. Arabic is confusing enough. We don't need to confuse things
more by mixing up our terminology.

Edited by kanewai on 18 January 2012 at 9:07pm

WH2010
United Kingdom
Joined 5122 days ago

13 posts - 52 votes 

Message 20 of 30
03 February 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Actually, most of the time when Arabs say "fuSHa", they mean both Classical Arabic, and
the term is used to cover both Classical Arabic and MSA. In fact, most lay people in
the Arab world do not know that there is any
distinction between MSA and Classical Arabic. This is a division that was conceived by
foreigners for mostly pedagogical purposes. That does not mean the division is false;
it's just that Arabs do not think in those terms.

kanewai wrote:
This is a strange thread ... the OP says he has been studying
Classical Arabic for 3
months, but that he memorized the entire Quran 15 years ago ... and then confuses
Classical Arabic with modern fu97a (fusha, fuSHa, لفصحى, et al.).

These terms are pretty standard:

"Classical Arabic" refers to the Arabic at the time of Mohammed (hence: classic).

"Colloquial Arabic" refers to the dialects, the language spoken on the streets
(Levantine, Maghrebi, Egyptian, et al.).

"Modern Arabic" (as was pointed out earlier) goes by a number of different names:
fu97a, MSA, literary Arabic, academic Arabic, and I am sure there are others.

These are not the same. Arabic is confusing enough. We don't need to confuse things
more by mixing up our terminology.

Edited by WH2010 on 03 February 2012 at 1:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Insomniac
United Kingdom
Joined 4757 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 21 of 30
03 February 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I have to agree with WH2010, a lot of the times MSA and fusha (classical) are used
interchangeably.

Kanewai - the OP may have memorised the Quran (which is certainly classical Arabic!) but
in all likelihood he memorised it without understanding. Believe me there must be
millions of people in the world who have memorised the Quran, and 95%+ of these people
simply know how to 'read' the Quran (i.e. just the phonetics) and memorise cover to cover
without knowing the meaning of any of the words.

p.s. even wikipedia classifies MSA and fusha as the same!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Standard_Arabic
3 persons have voted this message useful

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4698 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 22 of 30
18 February 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
FYI فصح denotes 'purity' or 'eloquence' in speech, so even though it's now commonly used
to refer to MSA, it traditionally refers to Classical Arabic.

For modern dialects that are the closest to Classical Arabic, I'd suggest either spending
time in Yemen (a lot of Arabs tend to agree that Yemeni Arabic is the best), or with a
bedouin community in Sinai (around Dahab).

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6611 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 23 of 30
21 March 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
"For modern dialects that are the closest to Classical Arabic, I'd suggest either spending time in Yemen (a lot of Arabs tend to agree that Yemeni Arabic is the best)"

I have heard an Egyptian man refer to Yemeni Arabic as Classical Arabic; however, when I used to live in the southern part of Yemen, I could barely understand what the people were saying despite having studied classical Arabic for five years by the time I arrived. The dialects in Sana' or Hadramawt are somewhat different than the south, so they might be easier to understand, but if it can be called one of the closest dialects, it definitely cannot be called close to classical Arabic. At best, the Yemeni dialects share some features of classical Arabic that are not preserved in other dialects.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4588 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 24 of 30
22 March 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
"For modern dialects that are the closest to Classical Arabic, I'd suggest either spending time in Yemen (a lot of Arabs tend to agree that Yemeni Arabic is the best)"

I have heard an Egyptian man refer to Yemeni Arabic as Classical Arabic; however, when I used to live in the southern part of Yemen, I could barely understand what the people were saying despite having studied classical Arabic for five years by the time I arrived. The dialects in Sana' or Hadramawt are somewhat different than the south, so they might be easier to understand, but if it can be called one of the closest dialects, it definitely cannot be called close to classical Arabic. At best, the Yemeni dialects share some features of classical Arabic that are not preserved in other dialects.

Yemeni is certainly a distinct dialect, IMO. Not as much as some Maghrebi dialects, but it's one of the "odd" ones as far as the Middle Eastern dialects are. Luckily, when I went to Yemen I had MSA and Egyptian under my belt (and some Levantine), so I understood a lot. Had it not been for that, it would've been more difficult.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version