Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 21
11 February 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi, and welcome to the TAC! I am not on your team either, I am in the other Russian team, but we sort of look out for eachother and help eachother regardless of teams as long as we do Russian. What resources do you use for Russian?

Y por supuesto tambien estoy muy contenta de que ahora hay un hispanohablante entre los estudiantes de ruso. De joven estaba tres anos en Espana (lo siento me falta la tilde), y me considero media espanola.
1 person has voted this message useful

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 5030 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 21
12 February 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Hey there, welcome to the team!

That goal of 2000 words within 6 moths sounds quite formidable to me. Per my measurements, I'm generally able to learn about 5-7 words a day, long-term, which would get me to about 1000 words within that time frame.

Hmm, I guess we (me and joanthemaid) are not very supportive, are we? So I'll add that I also know from experience that it's possible to boost that to as much as about 15-20 a day short-term (a couple weeks when I was in Russia). So it's definitely possible if one works hard, and when you get through, you will just be able to slowly read your way to fluency. Reading with 2000 words is not comfortable, but it works. So go for it!

(I've also seen the stories of people being able to cram hundreds of words a day. If these people actually exist, I'm definitely not one of them. My memory has more mundane characteristics.)

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 5010 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian

Message 11 of 21
12 February 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying on my own (not at the school in the link or any other) in Russia for
about 4 months now and I am supposed to have mastered the A2 level according to this:
Liden & Denz

However the book I am using (New Penguin) tells me how at the end of the book I'll know
1500 words. I have yet to finish the book, but if one talks about so-called active and
inactive vocabulary it's possible that I know 1500.

When having achieved these levels do you guys test yourselves or, I mean - how do you
know that you have actually mastered that level as oposed to having merely read though
the book and done the exersizes?

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 12 of 21
13 February 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Personally I don't test myself, it's too expensive and I'd rather save up for a trip, but as I've been a teacher I know what CECR level corresponds to what class, so I used to gauge my level at say Russian by comparing it to my students' level in English. Last year I was about 8th grade by the time I stopped, which is a very high A2.
I also compare myself to other people who've actually passed a test, for instance people on this forum who write in English or my husband, who got French B2 two years ago. Unfortunately I rarely hear him speak French, though he must be close to C1 now.
The criteria are out there (or here: http://www.coe.int/T/DG4/Portfolio/?M=/main_pages/levels.htm l), and the tests usually have lower standards than the criteria, as you only need to have mastered 60% of a level's skills to be declared that level.

Edited by joanthemaid on 13 February 2011 at 1:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 13 of 21
13 February 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
The criteria are out there (or here: http://www.coe.int/T/DG4/Portfolio/?M=/main_pages/levels.htm l), and the tests usually have lower standards than the criteria, as you only need to have mastered 60% of a level's skills to be declared that level.

Oh, wow. I thought that you would have to have mastered more like 90% or more of the criteria for a given level. I suddenly feel like I have been evaluating myself too harshly. Perhaps it's time to reevaluate, but I guess it's better to be too harsh than too lax. When people evaluate themselves on here, do they usually use this 60% mastery guideline or strictly abide by the criteria?

arodriguez66
Diglot
United States
lepensuer.wordpress.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5540 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 14 of 21
13 February 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What resources do you use for Russian?

I have several resources:
1.     Grammar for Students of Russian
2.     501 Russian verbs.
3.     The new Penguin Russian course.
4.     First Reader in Russian
5.     Russian for Beginners
6.     Princeton Russian Course
7.     FSI
8.     ANKI
9.     Bkyi
10.     Skype
11.     Podcast (several)
12.     Usenetpost – good for basic grammar and fun videos in YouTube.
13.     Gold list method for vocabulary.
14.     Wwitv.com for TV programs
15.     Oxford Russian Dictionary
16.     Aulafacil.com
17.     Linguaphone Russian Course
18.     Pimsleur
19.     Movies
20.     Livemocha.com
21.     Mango Languages
22.     Bussuu
23.     Defense Language Institute
24.     MasterRussian.com
25.     Assimil – ordered yesterday.
26.     Michel Thomas – I will buy this week.

arodriguez66
Diglot
United States
lepensuer.wordpress.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5540 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 15 of 21
13 February 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
petrklic wrote:
Hey there, welcome to the team!

That goal of 2000 words within 6 moths sounds quite formidable to me. Per my measurements, I'm generally able to learn about 5-7 words a day, long-term, which would get me to about 1000 words within that time frame.

Honestly, those 2000 word will be for a year period. Also I am cheating because I started using common word for English and/or Spanish:
метро - metro
форум - forum

Plus high frequency words: как, что, почему ...

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 16 of 21
13 February 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
joanthemaid wrote:

Oh, wow. I thought that you would have to have mastered more like 90% or more of the criteria for a given level. I suddenly feel like I have been evaluating myself too harshly. Perhaps it's time to reevaluate, but I guess it's better to be too harsh than too lax. When people evaluate themselves on here, do they usually use this 60% mastery guideline or strictly abide by the criteria?

Technically, it's a 60% score, but still it means that you can fail some skills (for instance speaking) and still pass, because your other skills are very strong. Otherwise I wouldn't evaluate myself to be a high B2 at Spanish

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version