Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
74 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 41 of 74
07 November 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the present tense is also used for progressive. The three basic tenses (-as, -is
and -os) are used for all forms of present, past and future that you can imagine.
English has particularly many. For example:

li iris = he went, he has gone, he was going, he has been going, he had gone

It is possible to be more specific and say e. g. "li estis irinta" for "he had gone",
but it's not mandatory.

Seems you translated "iom post iom" perfectly. It's "little by little". Literally "a
little after a little" - a little, and then a little more.

-us is conditional: vi irus = you would go
-u is imperative or conjunctive: iru! = go!   vi iru = you should go     ni iru =
let's go / we should go
The border between imperative and conjunctive is fluid like this.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5279 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 42 of 74
07 November 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
I'll check my translation with yours, but I find translating it myself is very helpful ... I'm still translating chapter 3

I do not recommend translation. Maybe you could do that for the first chapters. The goal is to read without translating. You have to learn to think in Esperanto. It is not important if you don't understand everything. Repetition will help with that. The words that you don't understand now, will show again later in the book. You don't have to understand every word right now. You can always read the whole book again. The reading time for the whole book is 91 minutes. While translating to try to understand, English will be there all the time and you would never start to think in Esperanto.

I provided some translation, only for the student to have an idea of what is going on ... but I limited the translation to the first 3 chapters. This translation is not literal, just to show what is happening.

If you still feel a need to translate, after finishing the translation for one chapter, read that chapter many times only in Esperanto, without any reference to English. Also try at least once to read aloud, trying to imitate the voices you hear in the audio files. But remember that most of the people reading the book are from Brazil ... with a light Brazilian accent. The only Colombian reader is the policeman, who appears in chapter 17.

Michael K. wrote:
The other problem I'm having translating is that -u is used a lot, and I take it that form of the verb is either conditional or imperative?

The -u ending is also used for the subjunctive. Conditional ends in -us.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 43 of 74
08 November 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sprachprofi & Enrique. The best part about learning Esperanto is that more experienced Esperantists are eagerly willing to help.

I translated the rest of Cxapitro 3 and also Cxapitro 4.

Enrique, like I said in other posts, my intent is to use it like an Assimil course by viewing the Esperanto transcript with an English translation. I'm mostly viewing the Esperanto as I listen to the audio and just glance at my translation if I get confused. I know this isn't how the course is intended, but I want to try it this way since I'm studying Spanish & German like this also using Assimil, listening to 3 chapters for a few days and then moving on. I don't know if this is the most effective way to go about things, but it's a way I like. Also, I find translating to be a lot of fun.

Some other questions:

Is tute used as the superlative in Eo? They seem to use it a lot and I understand it as "most" or "extremely" from context.

I take it "jen" is sort of like Spanish "hay" and can mean "here is" or "there is"?

I think "fakte" means "in fact." Also, are words used in adverb form for exclamations? They used "Strange!" once and keep using "Diable!" (darn) in the dialog.

This line: cxu mi povas sidi kun vi? I translated it as "may I sit with you?" I think "povas" means "can" but it is used colloquially as "may."

This line: kaj estis mistera esprimo sur via vizagxo

I translated it as "and (there) was a mysterious expression on your face" although of course "estis" means "was", but I take it it can mean "there was" also.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress. Thanks, everyone.

Edited by Michael K. on 08 November 2011 at 8:30pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 44 of 74
08 November 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Your intuition is right about fakte, povas and estis.

The normal Superlative in Esperanto is formed using "plej":
bela = beautiful; pli bela = more beautiful; plej bela = most beautiful
"tute" means "wholly" or "completely", which is somewhat similar in meaning.
Another adverb that Esperantists tend to over-use is "sufiĉe" (sufficiently, quite).

"jen" is most similar to French "voilà". In older English, this would be "behold!", or
also "here you are" when giving something to someone. Watch this music video to pick up
some vocabulary and the word "jen":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYAzPaV7sU

Yes, the adverb form is common. In Esperanto, the adverb form is used more often than
in English; basically whenever there isn't a clear person / noun that it could refer
to.
Ŝi kantas bone = She sings well. (same as in English)
Ŝi estas bona. = She is good. (same as in English)
Estas bone. = It's good. (different!)
Based on the last sentence, you can derive that "good!" should also be translated as
"bone!". Greetings and wishes are Accusative though, because you imagine someone saying
"I wish you ...", e. g. "Bonan tagon!" = (I wish you) a good day!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 November 2011 at 9:22pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 45 of 74
09 November 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sprachprofi.

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I want to make sure I'm right.

I've finished translating cxapitro 5, and will try cxapitro 6 if I get the time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 

Message 46 of 74
09 November 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Kara Michael, only once I saw a message of a teacher that asked his students to translate "Gerda Malaperis" ... but he was from Brazil and the translations were from Esperanto to Portuguese. I never saw translations to English. Would you be so kind as to send those translations to me? In that case, if you want, I could return some corrections. I just want to have the translations. Otherwise, you could post here your translation from chapter 6.

2. I use the "x" method only for e-mail, because some servers don't support Unicode, and I pretend that my e-mails could be read in any place in the world ... even using slow telephone connections. For this kind of blog, I would prefer to use the Esperanto letters: ĉ ĝ ĥ ĵ ŝ ŭ Ĉ Ĝ Ĥ Ĵ Ŝ Ŭ   You could also save all your work using these letters. I use Windows Notepad, and I save them as Encoding UTF-8

To get these letters I use these applications:

Esperantilo. This is a text editor:      http://esperantil o.org/index_en.html

EK      This page is only in Esperanto.      http://www.esp eranto.mv.ru/Ek

If this doesn't work, you can always copy those letters from this message.

. . . Kara Sprachprofi, ĉu vi povas proponi alian solvon?

3. The book "Gerda Malaperis" was originally named: "Dialogoj". It is written in a progressive way: the first chapter has words supposedly known by people that went through a basic course. Each following chapter adds 30 - 50 new words and a little bit of grammar. After reading and understanding the whole book, you will know about 1200 word-roots.

The author wrote another book at the same time. Its original name is "Monologoj", the current name is "Lasu min paroli plu".

Both books have 25 chapters. The vocabulary used is the same in both books, meaning that if you know all the words up to chapter 10 in one book, it will be the same for the other book. You can read both books at the same time.

http://ikurso.esperanto-jeunes.org/fr/gerda/lasu00.php

Maybe you would enjoy the fact that this page is in French ... At the end of the page you will find the 25+ chapters by their Esperanto name. (Same chapters have parts A and B)

4. Hope to see you writing in Esperanto in a short time ..

Edited by Enriquee on 09 November 2011 at 6:47pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 47 of 74
09 November 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
The problem with EK is that it also converts e. g. thx to tĥ, and having to use a special
editor for Esperanto is annoying, too.

I type Esperanto using my normal keyboard, without any additional programs. In order to
do this, I created a keyboard layout with accent keys. This way I can type not just
Esperanto accented characters but French, Italian, Spanish, a fair amount of Eastern
European accents, Māori macrons and even the 4 Pinyin tone marks used for Mandarin.
Creating such a keyboard layout for Windows is trivial; if you want, I'll send you one,
then you'll be able to type Esperanto and many other languages in any application.

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 

Message 48 of 74
10 November 2011 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Kara Sprachprofi,
Dankon
Vi povas sendi gxin al mi ... ĉu vi havas mian adreson?

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version