dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4964 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 72
16 May 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
As these have only just been released, its probably a bit early to ask this question, but has any one bought the FLR DVDs that are being sold by Moses Mccormick?

They can be seen on this site : http://roadrunninglanguagecamp.com/

Moses has also produced numerous youtube videos explaining how his techniques work.

Does any body think they may buy some in the future? Do people think there is value in the method? If not, why?

It may also be interseting to hear from those who have bought the DVDs, to see how they progress.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say about this interesting sounding method!
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 72
17 May 2011 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Do people think there is value in the method? If not, why?

Are you impressed with his skill level?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5072 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 72
17 May 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
It's really expensive, from the couple of courses I browsed. Granted, you're getting some one-on-one questions, but damn... 450 bucks for 9 Italian lessons and 400 bucks for 8 Spanish lessons which consist of audio, video and text.

R.
==

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 72
17 May 2011 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
It's nice that Moses encourages people to study foreign languages. However, at least for
the one language I am qualified to evaluate skill in (Arabic), his achievements are not
that impressive. Yet he persists in giving people advice about studying Arabic on YouTube
as if he's some sort of expert. As such, I'd be hesitant about buying any product of his.
Nothing personal against him, and I'm sure his skills in many other languages are much
more impressive, but that sort of thing makes me uncomfortable.
13 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4964 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 5 of 72
17 May 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
@Leosmith (Sorry, I dont know how to qoute on this site)
Am I impressed with his skill level?

To be honest, I am really not sure. Its very difficult to judge somebodys level in a language you are unfamiliar with. I have seen a number of comments like Woodpeckers though, which give me some cause for concern.

I did watch a video of Moses trying to speak Spanish, and it was full of elementary errors. However, at the time, the purpose of those videos was so that Moses could get feedback from natives. So in my book, thats fine. But as someone wrote elsewhere, the relationship between Moses and his viewers is changed when he starts trying to sell them something.

On the other hand, I have shown some videos of him speaking Zulu to a South African friend of mine, who was very impressed. I should say though that my friends mother tongue is not Zulu, although he has grown up using the language. I also think there was a comment from professor Arquelles who said he was very impressed with his level in Korean.

So its hard to tell. Id be interested in hearing what more experienced members of this board, whose languages overlap with Moses's, have to say on the matter.

I had become aware of Moses and his youtube videos perhaps only a month before he started selling his courses. Had he been selling things at the time, I doubt I would have given him much attention. (Im quite cynical about things like that).
However, as it is, I must say that I have been spellbound by his videos. I have a massive respect for the breadth of his knowledge. He seems to be able to break straight into complicated languages like Tibetan, Navajo etc, in a very short period of time. I definetly see value in learning how to do this.
His outline of the FLR technique seems to me a logical way to go about learning a language.

My view of these DVD's is that they are more about teaching one HOW to learn a language, so that you can apply these techniques to other languages you learn.

These courses are very expensive though, which means I would be very careful before buying one. I may be wrong again, but Im sure they where much cheaper a couple of weeks ago.

What shines through for me is this mans passion, intelligence and modesty and they may be worth the money for that alone.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6524 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 72
17 May 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Moses' skill levels often crop up on these forums. He knows enough to communicate in a crapload of languages and he's really good at getting to that level really fast. I'm guessing his materials teach you the techniques to do that.

He's not (and as far as I know never claimed to be) at an advanced level in most if any of his foreign languages and he probably makes lots of mistakes in them.
5 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4964 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 7 of 72
17 May 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
@Ari
I think at the moment, I probably would part with money to learn these techniques.
As you say, he has never claimed to be at an advanced level in any of his languages, but has a fantastic ability to reach a good standard very quickly.

Do you think you would personally buy one of his courses?
What do you think of his spoken Mandarin and Cantonese?

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 8 of 72
17 May 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Ari. Moses' techniques are all about getting up and running and functional in the language as quickly as possible, hence the name of his product, Foreign Language Road Running. That's all he ever claims to do. I remember someone once rather condescendingly described his abilities as "a square mile of dirt, one inch deep". Is that not exactly as much as one inch a mile deep? Moses has perfected the art of acquiring communicative abilities in practical, everyday situations with speed and efficiency, something he has done for vast quantities of languages, and for that reason alone he is perfectly qualified to the sell the product that he has created.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version