Triglot
Finland
Joined 5149 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 57
29 May 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
I have occasionally said that I speak 7 languages, but the level on wich I speak most of them isn't that great. To
say such a thing didn't come from seeking attention but from pure joy of having opened a door to yet another
language, to have reached a level where the language isn't just incomprehensible bable and to be able to think
simple thoughts and imagine/manage simple conversation (I don't have that many chances of actually speaking
these languages...).

But a couple of years ago something changed and I suddenly felt to need to actually be able to live up to my
claim. I realized that I'm not actually speaking anything but Finnish and English and I set a goal for myself to
learn the others too. The ones that I'd claimed to be speaking. I'm doing this one ot two at the time so at the
moment I only list Swedish and French as languages I want to learn.

Also I think that listing the number of languages just comes from a set of mind where one is used to counting
things and making numeral categories. I keep track of my doings by counting: the time I have for each task, how
many tasks I want to do per day, how many pages I have read/need to read, how many stiches there are in a row
to be knit... So counting languages is just another expression of that. This mindset is rather stressing and tends
to drain the joy of the things I'm doing so I'm trying to unlearn it. Maybe the change in my attitude to languages
reflects that desire.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 57
29 May 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
My first question goes to Torbyrne:

You quoted a You Tube video in your post showing a TV interview.

This is a broadcast of "Face TV" and I would like to know in which country this is broadcasted and what is the main language of the interview?

Secondly, I would differentiate between people who themselves produce You Tube videos in which they claim to speak 50+ languages and interviews made by the media (radio, TV, newspaper) because the media have the aim to present a polyglot as a sensation and therefore the interviewer wants to have a figure as large as possible of how many languages a polyglot speaks.

Every polyglot who is realisitic would hesitate of presenting very high figures of languages because also polyglots have their languages on different levels.

I agree with Cainntear that it makes a huge difference of how many languages somebody has studied or how many languages somebody can speak.

If the media count the languages a polyglot has studied of course they can enumerate high numbers of languages but then they should point out that somebody is not fluent in all of them.

I for example studied Ancient Greek, Portuguese and Russian many years ago, but I don't even mention them on my profile, because I don't have any knowledge of these languages any more. So such languages don't count!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 May 2011 at 7:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 57
29 May 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
My first question goes to Torbyrne:

Here is the video once more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcS0oEjAb60&feature=player_em bedded

This is a broadcast of "Face TV" and I would like to know in which country this is broadcasted and what is the main language of the interview?

Bosnia in Bosnian ("Serbocroatian")

Thanks! I thought something similar, but I wasn't sure.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6111 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 57
29 May 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't believe extravagant claims about fluency in 50+ languages. I am inclined to
believe the upper limit is something like 15-20 languages, and very few people are
genuinely capable of even that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5850 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 57
29 May 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I find it hard to believe anyone can be fluent in more than a dozen simultaneously. You can have studied more, and I'm sure you can "reactivate" them, but it's very difficult to maintain so many languages well enough to hold a conversation at the drop of a hat*....

* At the drop of a hat -- idiom, at a moment's notice.
5 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6111 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 15 of 57
30 May 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
The newer languages learned would tend to drive out the languages learned long ago. I believe that would be true even with someone like Mezzofanti.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5220 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 16 of 57
30 May 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I find it hard to believe anyone can be fluent in more than a dozen simultaneously. You can have studied more, and I'm sure you can "reactivate" them, but it's very difficult to maintain so many languages well enough to hold a conversation at the drop of a hat*....

* At the drop of a hat -- idiom, at a moment's notice.

Not to mention that speaking 12 related languages fluently is a very different claim than speaking several unrelated Cat. III and Cat. IV languages.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version