Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When can one adopt a native dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
124 messages over 16 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 15 16 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 124
16 November 2011 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It is for similar reasons that I think that people should at some point start using a grammar book in the target language. If you want to get "into" a language and be able to talk about a language, you need the terminology and the kinds of explanations that you will find in a native language book.

A native language grammar book has an entirely different goal from a learner's grammar.

A native grammar aims at teaching grammar awareness, i.e. showing the native speaker what they already know instinctively, as well as pointing out dialectal deviations to help them consciously write in a more standard way.

A bilingual learner's grammar has different assumptions of pre-existing knowledge. A speaker of Italian isn't going to have much problem with the French verb system, for example, but a Chinese person is going to find it completely alien.

Why should you start using a grammar book in the native language? The number one reason, as I mentioned, is that if you want to use the language from a native perspective you have to use the tools that natives use. A learner's grammar in your native language of course is fine to start with, but at some point you want to starting using the language to acquire knowledge of the target language in the target language.

Really, it's basically the same reason why, after taking classes on your target language, you should take classes on other subjects but in your target language. For example, take a course in your professional field in the target language. Then the language is no longer an object of study per se but a medium of study.

I want to take particular exception to this statement: "A native grammar aims at teaching grammar awareness, i.e. showing the native speaker what they already know instinctively, as well as pointing out dialectal deviations to help them consciously write in a more standard way." What grammar books is Cainntear referring to? This is blatantly wrong.

There are different types of grammar books of course. Some are purely descriptive and are reference works. For example, the classic reference work in French is Maurice Grevisse's Le bon usage. The aim of this book has nothing to do with what Cainntear has just said. As the title implies, it is a guide to proper modern French grammar based on observations of the usage of trustworthy authors of French literature. It is the authority in matters of usage. If you have a question or a doubt about a particular point of French grammar, then you turn to Grevisse. For example, if you want to know if the subjunctive mood is used after "je veux bien que...", you look it up and you'll see a description of the rule and examples illustrating the various usages.

Other grammars are academic works that cater to scientific interests. For example, I have in front of me Longman's Grammar of Spoken And Written English. This is a fabulous work, but not really aimed a general audience.

Still other grammar books are more pedagogical in orientation and are meant more for teaching. So, they will have exercises and a formal learning sequence.

I find it is useful to learn the terminology of grammar of grammar of the target language if you ever have to talk about grammar with native speakers. You want to be able to talk about things like subordinate clauses and the various tenses when necessary.

And it's also interesting to see the difficulties that native speakers face. French for example has a long tradition of dictionaries of difficulties that a very useful.

I would strong recommend that people here disregard that completely irrelevant statement by Cainntear and consider acquiring native grammar reference works as soon as the feel they can handle it.

I just want to remind people that the number one difficulty we have in learning a foreign language as adults is that we inevitably try to speak the language "through" our native language. This is because we are translating from L1 to L2. You want to avoid this kind of translating as much as possible and start acquiring a native-like perspective. And what better way than to use the tools that the natives use. This is not for beginners of course, but the sooner the better.

Edited by s_allard on 16 November 2011 at 5:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 18 of 124
16 November 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If I read correctly, it is stated that "most native speakers of any language you'd care to mention don't have dictionaries of their own language". For lovers of language like most of us at HTLAL, I would think that this has to be one of the most outlandish statements that we have read in quite a while. While I would admit that many uneducated people do not own a dictionary, I would think that anyone who has any kind of education has consulted a dictionary and probably owns one. I wonder how many people here at HTLAL do not own a dictionary in their native language.

People at HTLAL is hardly a representative sample, of course. But yeah, I don't have a monodic (emphasis on the first 'o', so different from the other word "monodic", though spelled the same) in Swedish, nor in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5178 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 19 of 124
16 November 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
"Nederlands als Tweede Taal", published by Van Dale.

Thanks for the reference to this. My current bilingual Dutch-English dictionary is from the Dutch publisher Prisma, and has no definite articles anywhere. I suppose it makes perfect sense, as a Dutch speaker doesn't need to care about de and het when speaking English. I've been using WikiWoordenboek to get genders, but a paper book's always good for when the internet goes down!

I studied German at university - in first year we were required to get a large bilingual dictionary, but in final year we were required to got a monolingual dictionary. I used it more than I expected to get nuances of words, and to look up some words that just weren't in the monolingual. (And for checking spelling, but that's because the bilingual book was pre-spelling reform.)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 20 of 124
16 November 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
s_allard wrote:
If I read correctly, it is stated that "most native speakers of any language you'd care to mention don't have dictionaries of their own language". For lovers of language like most of us at HTLAL, I would think that this has to be one of the most outlandish statements that we have read in quite a while. While I would admit that many uneducated people do not own a dictionary, I would think that anyone who has any kind of education has consulted a dictionary and probably owns one. I wonder how many people here at HTLAL do not own a dictionary in their native language.

People at HTLAL is hardly a representative sample, of course. But yeah, I don't have a monodic (emphasis on the first 'o', so different from the other word "monodic", though spelled the same) in Swedish, nor in English.

If most native speakers of a language don't have or consult dictionaries of their own language, I wonder why publishers bother producing them. The situation must be different in Sweden. Most secretaries and offices that I have seen have a dictionary handy. I can hardly imagine a law office without a dictionary. I guess the question is really whether native speakers ever have the need to consult such reference works. Obviously, if one knows all the words and their proper usage in the language, there is no need for a dictionary.

Let me give an example of where a dictionary comes in handy. About a month ago, I had the following exchange with Iversen over his use of the adverb "herostratically."

s_allard wrote:
Iversen wrote:
The use of other Scandinavians' languages is a complicated issue. There are certainly people who try to the ease the understanding for other Scandinavians by speaking in their native language, but with more or less wellmotivated loans from the other languages. Travel guides with mixed tour groups are herostratically famous for this.

This is completely off-topic, but I am intrigued, as I am sure others are, by the use here of the extremely rare adverb "herostratically". I had never seen this word before and did a bit of poking around the Internet to find out that the word exists in two forms only in the expressions "herostratic fame" and "herostratically famous." If my understanding is correct, the word is used to characterize the act of committing some heinous crime to gain notoriety. The word comes from the Greek word Herostratus, the name of a young man who burned down the temple of Artemis in Ancient Greece. As Wikipedia says:

"Herostratus' name lived on in classical literature and has passed into modern languages as a term for someone who commits a criminal act in order to bask in the resultant notoriety."

Given this, I'm really curious about travel guides with mixed tour groups in Scandinavia. This is not at all meant to be a criticism of Iversen's usage of the term. Can someone explain what do these travel guides do to make them herostratically famous?

How many people here have ever seen this word? No English-French dictionary contained an entry for this word. Even my old compact Oxford Dictionary of the English Language did not contain it. I did eventually find it in some online monolingual dictionaries.

Now, the interesting thing here is the comparison of the definition in the dictionaries that all said the same thing with Iversen's usage. Just what exactly makes Scandinavian tour guides herostratically famous? Here is the answer:

Iversen wrote:
OK, maybe it is a little hard to put them in the same cathegory of the person who burned down the temple of Ephesos just to become famous. Actually those guides don't try to become famous. The just mix two languages: a Danish guide will for instance speak in Danish, but every time Swedish has a different word for something he/she will use that word. And as a result neither the Swedes nor the Danes fully understand what they say. The term might suit those better who participate in Big Brother or similar shows - at least they want to become famous!

It turns out that Iversen is referring to the fact that the tour guides insert words from the other Scandinavian languages when speaking to mixed-language groups. I personally would have said something like, "notably famous" or "widely famous" or simply "notorious", but I think that Iversen's usage was probably tongue in cheek or meant to be ironic. In cases like this, that monolingual dictionary is very useful.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6175 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 21 of 124
16 November 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
My bilingual English-Swedish dictionary has no entry for herostratically but in
the other direction I find the translations make oneself notorious [for ones wicked
deeds]
and achieve unenviable notoriety for bli herostratiskt ryktbar
(literally become herostratically famous). I'm definitely familiar with the
Swedish expression but unsure of the usage of its English verbatim equivalent.

And yes, I have paper and electronic monodics for Swedish, German and English but I
seldom use them. Maybe it's because I'm always curious of how things in L2 are expressed
in L1. Granted, it might hurt my fluency but I've always been fond of a comparative
approach and it has the positive side-effect of strengthening my L1.

/aloysius

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 22 of 124
16 November 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If most native speakers of a language don't have or consult dictionaries of their own language,
I wonder why publishers bother producing them.

Hang on, are you actually suggesting that a book is only worth producing if at least half the native speakers will
buy it?

Quote:
The situation must be different in Sweden.

I don't think it is. I don't know if most people have a dictionary at home, but I do know there are lots of people
who don't. Most people I know will, if they encounter a word they're unfamiliar with, shrug their shoulders and
keep reading. If there's someone nearby, they might go "Hey Jenny! What's 'herostratically' mean?". Hell, my
girlfriend would be pretty hard pressed to even find a monodic for her native language Cantonese, and yet
she is an educated and fluent native speaker who uses her language in speech and in writing every single day.

This is of course a different issue altogether. I believe Caintear's point was that most people don't learn the
meaning of the vast majority of the words they know through looking them up in a dictionary, so we can't claim
that we should look them up in a monodic in order to mimic the native experience. Because that's not the native
experience in the vast majority of cases. It IS the way natives will learn the meaning of complicated and rare
words after they have become perfectly fluent and aqcuired an already vast vocabulary, but that's hardly what
happens when a second language learner uses a monodic. I'm suspicious of any claim that comes from the "you
shouldn't translate" mindset if it's not supported by evidence, and in this case we're not mimicking the
native experience, even if we did have a reason to want to do so.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 23 of 124
16 November 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
... I believe Caintear's point was that most people don't learn the
meaning of the vast majority of the words they know through looking them up in a dictionary, so we can't claim
that we should look them up in a monodic in order to mimic the native experience. Because that's not the native
experience in the vast majority of cases. It IS the way natives will learn the meaning of complicated and rare
words after they have become perfectly fluent and aqcuired an already vast vocabulary, but that's hardly what
happens when a second language learner uses a monodic. I'm suspicious of any claim that comes from the "you
shouldn't translate" mindset if it's not supported by evidence, and in this case we're not mimicking the
native experience, even if we did have a reason to want to do so.

Thanks for clarifying what Cainntear meant because I certainly didn't understand what he had written. My argument essentially is simply that learning definitions in the target language is conducive to thinking and speaking in the that language, plus you get a lot of other useful information in monolingual dictionaries. It's not more complicated than that. Other people here say the same thing. Nobody is saying that the only way natives acquire vocabulary is through dictionaries. Now, if your bilingual dictionaries provide everything you need, that's fine too.

Edited by s_allard on 16 November 2011 at 7:08pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 24 of 124
16 November 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Why should you start using a grammar book in the native language? The number one reason, as I mentioned, is that if you want to use the language from a native perspective you have to use the tools that natives use.

I know even fewer people who have grammar books in their own language than people who have a dictionary in their own language.

Quote:
A learner's grammar in your native language of course is fine to start with, but at some point you want to starting using the language to acquire knowledge of the target language in the target language.

Why? If we disregard the spurious argument of "native perspective" (because the native learns his language through exposure and usage, not through study), what reason do we have left?

Quote:
For example, the classic reference work in French is Maurice Grevisse's Le bon usage. The aim of this book has nothing to do with what Cainntear has just said. As the title implies, it is a guide to proper modern French grammar based on observations of the usage of trustworthy authors of French literature. It is the authority in matters of usage.

Grevisse is a prescriptive work. Maybe the latest edition is better, but it comes from a tradition of grammars written by people who think they know better than the average speaker -- people who are happy to declare that normal usage is wrong.

We've had this in English -- people have tried to tell me not to "split my infinitives" or to "end a sentence with a preposition", for example.

This isn't what a learner wants.

Quote:
I find it is useful to learn the terminology of grammar of grammar of the target language if you ever have to talk about grammar with native speakers. You want to be able to talk about things like subordinate clauses and the various tenses when necessary.

I can't argue with that. However, you don't need a grammar to be entirely in the target language in order to learn the terminology.

Quote:
I would strong recommend that people here disregard that completely irrelevant statement by Cainntear and consider acquiring native grammar reference works as soon as the feel they can handle it.

Funnily enough, I would also strongly recommend that they ignore your advice -- you can take that as given, seeing as we disagree.

I don't know why you take so much pleasure in pointing out that you don't understand me, or why you need to state so explicitly that you disagree. Everyone disagrees, but most people don't make such a big thing of it.

I mean, seriously, you just responded twice to one of my messages, stating that I'm categorically wrong, but giving the same assertions that you always give. But you offer no proof for your assertions. How can you have the sheer brass neck to stand there and shout down my arguments as wrong if you're not even willing to argue against them, but simply restate what you've already said and pick at a few minor points in my post?

Quote:
I just want to remind people that the number one difficulty we have in learning a foreign language as adults is that we inevitably try to speak the language "through" our native language. This is because we are translating from L1 to L2. You want to avoid this kind of translating as much as possible and start acquiring a native-like perspective. And what better way than to use the tools that the natives use. This is not for beginners of course, but the sooner the better.

You keep saying this, I keep disagreeing, you keep telling me I'm wrong. But you don't give a mechanism.

I have seen no proof whatsoever that using a different language for explanations leads to "translating", and I see no logical argument for it.

I have seen evidence of people translating even in monolingual classrooms.
I don't "translate" from a word or a structure to the "explanation/definition" in L1->L1, or L2->L2, (ie if I look up Filibuster in the English dictionary, I don't recall the entire dictionary definition in order to use the word) so why would I do so for L1->L2?

Feel free to debate this point, but if you haven't got a more sophisticated argument than "Cainntear is wrong", let's just accept that we've both stated our points of view and leave it at that, OK?

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version