Message 33 of 70
19 November 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
slucido wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
I do have a problem with it being used in the
classroom

I second this. I hate being forced to read out loud in front of a lot of other students when I'm a beginner. But
what I hate even more is listening to other beginners read out loud. By myself is ok. Alone with the teacher is
ok. But leave the classroom out of it please!

You are too shy and miss oportunities to improve.

What kind of opportunities to improve are you thinking about? What is there to learn from reading a text you
never saw before in front of an audience? Give me a few seconds with the text, let me read ahead and get
the feel of the sentence and then, maybe, I'll be able to read the sentence correctly to the class, but it doesn't
happen like that -- instead, you are asked to read ineptly a sentence you have never seen before in front of
students who have nothing to gain from hearing your pathetic, inadequate attempt. But if I'm mistaken, do tell
me what opportunity I'm missing because as far as I can tell, it's reading to the class that's a missed
opportunity.

You are missing strong emotions. For example, shame is a strong emotion.
Strong emotions = faster learning.

The problem is when you become shameless.

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 70
19 November 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I find practising to read aloud texts in a foreign language very important! I am as well in favour of pupils reading aloud in class and them getting corrected by the teacher.

This is exactly what happens in my new Danish course. We pupils read aloud a whole political novel - chapter by chapter - and our Danish teacher corrects our pronouciation. As my course mates have been learning Danish for more than 10 years and I have been learning the language for only 2 years, the teacher has a lot to correct in my case - which I find very useful, because there are no audio CDs available for this novel. Othervise I would not have any control, if I pronounce correctly when reading.

Fasulye

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 35 of 70
19 November 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that though, is it? Negative and positive emotions have very different long-term effects. Shame may be strong, but it usually leads to aversion....
2 persons have voted this message useful

hypersport
United States
Joined 5816 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 36 of 70
20 November 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
It pleases me to see so many others here who read out loud and can see the benefits of doing so. As a firm believer I've enjoyed reading your comments.

leosmith: Your point on reaching a certain point where we need to get off of any learning materials and just use the language is well taken. A long time ago I quit doing courses and the content on my ipod now is simply great content on a variety of subjects albeit in Spanish. Many times I've sat down with my book and thought about just enjoying it silently. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes, I feel like my pronunciation can always be improved upon and so it goes, I stick with out loud.

cainntear: I want to apologize for my outburst earlier. Regardless if you agree or not, it doesn't give me the right to attack you personally.   

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 37 of 70
20 November 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:
You are missing strong emotions. For example, shame is a strong
emotion.

It's a little more complicated than that though, is it? Negative and positive emotions have very different long-
term
effects. Shame may be strong, but it usually leads to aversion....

I know some people can be motivated/helped by negative emotions. Unfortunately for me, they tend to shut me
down. Could I somehow work on this and reverse it? Perhaps. But I wonder how, and I wonder if it would be worth
it.
s_allard wrote:
And it probably isn't a good idea to have a class of 25 people read aloud simultaneously

Are you against chorusing then?

s_allard wrote:
Although I'm strongly in favour of reading aloud in general, I question the emphasis on
novels

I agree that reading out loud is no substitute for conversation. I personally wouldn't want it to be, and wouldn't
go to
the lengths you suggest, like reading dialogue-dense material, to make it more "useful". I'd just take whatever I
happen
to be reading in the normal course of my studies, and read it out loud. That's just me though. If someone wants
reading
out loud to be a more central part of their language plan, you gave some good advice.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 38 of 70
20 November 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that though, is it? Negative and positive emotions have very different long-term effects. Shame may be strong, but it usually leads to aversion....

Yes, it is a little more complicated. Everything might be much more complicated if you want to, but I think it is much better to keep it simple.

Anyway, "keep it simple" is not that easy and you can make it much more complicated.

Thinking about it, it is not that simple to make it more complicated and you can always over-complicate complexity and so on.

I am talking about LOOKING FOR these situations: difficult situations. I mean going out of your comfort zone. This means unpleasant emotions.

It is about context and re-framing.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 39 of 70
20 November 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

Yes, it is a little more complicated. Everything might be much more complicated if you want to, but I think it is much better to keep it simple.

Anyway, "keep it simple" is not that easy and you can make it much more complicated.

Thinking about it, it is not that simple to make it more complicated and you can always over-complicate complexity and so on.

I am talking about LOOKING FOR these situations: difficult situations. I mean going out of your comfort zone. This means unpleasant emotions.

It is about context and re-framing.

Yes, it is about context, but you're oversimplifying and not really discussing context.

Negative emotions can be very powerful tools if focussed properly. For example, it hurts when you fall off a bike.

That pain can either help or hinder your progress.

If you associate the pain with the preindicators of losing your balance, then you learn to prevent yourself falling. If you associate the pain simply with being on a bike, you will become averse to cycling and never improve.

So let's go back to reading in public. If it makes the personal feel shame how can they harness that to make themselves improve? The most likely result is that the individual becomes averse to the situation -- that they become motivated to avoid the painful circumstance completely.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 40 of 70
20 November 2011 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
leosmith: Your point on reaching a certain point where we need to get off of any learning materials and just use the language is well taken. A long time ago I quit doing courses and the content on my ipod now is simply great content on a variety of subjects albeit in Spanish. Many times I've sat down with my book and thought about just enjoying it silently. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes, I feel like my pronunciation can always be improved upon and so it goes, I stick with out loud.

I agree with that to a point -- just because we've moved on from "learning materials" doesn't mean we should stop actively learning. I do read out loud occassionally myself, and it's usually for one of two reasons:
  1. I specifically want to actively practice pronunciation
  2. Because my eyes are starting to glide over the text without really paying any attention, and I need to force myself to read.

I'm not against any type of language activity if it's done for the right reasons.
Quote:
cainntear: I want to apologize for my outburst earlier. Regardless if you agree or not, it doesn't give me the right to attack you personally.

Thanks. I completely understand -- faceless names on the internet are much easier to dislike than "real" people you meet....

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version