Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 41 of 70
20 November 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

So let's go back to reading in public. If it makes the personal feel shame how can they harness that to make themselves improve? The most likely result is that the individual becomes averse to the situation -- that they become motivated to avoid the painful circumstance completely.

No, if you look for the shame situation. The technical term is "exposure".

I am not talking about a "shame" situation that just happens to you. I am talking about looking for that "shame" situation. This is the context I am talking about.

When you feel comfortable with the chosen "shame" situation, just think about more difficult "shame" situations and go for them.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 42 of 70
21 November 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
When you feel comfortable with the chosen "shame" situation, just think about more difficult
"shame" situations and go for them.

I see. So everybody should beat their kids.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 43 of 70
21 November 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
When you feel comfortable with the chosen "shame" situation, just think about more difficult "shame" situations and go for them.

And how are you going to feel comfortable with the shame situation? If you can explain this, I'll personally write to the Nobel Peace Prize committee and tell them you've all but cured teen suicide.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 44 of 70
21 November 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

And how are you going to feel comfortable with the shame situation? If you can explain this, I'll personally write to the Nobel Peace Prize committee and tell them you've all but cured teen suicide.

You can feel comfortable with the "shame" situation because you get used to it. Its technical term is "habituation".

I am not talking about somethig new. It's very old, but now we have a lot of empirical evidence.

Anyway, my point is:

1-If we want to improve our L2 language skills, we need to step outside our comfort zone.

2-This means disconfort, negative emotions and so on.

3-We need frustration tolerance to these emotions.

4-If you don't feel discomfort, you are not improving.

5-You can reframe this discomfort as something necessary and positive to learn and you will be able to tolerate it.

6-Or maybe you can just accept these emotions as they are.

Edited by slucido on 21 November 2011 at 6:58pm

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6060 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 45 of 70
21 November 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I don't know, is there another way? But it seems to me part of the process is about exposing myself to ridicule by attempting to communicate in a language I'm not quite fluent in. It is my natural tendency to cocoon myself in my room with flash cards and textbooks, and sit and stare at grammar books all day, and I do some of this. But ultimately, I think I need to get out more and be not afraid to look ridiculous. I don't like this, but at least consciously I regard the avoidance of shame as part of my problem and something I have to work on.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 46 of 70
21 November 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
To progress, one must step outside of comfort. Successful learning comes from constantly negotiating risk. However, any student who has tried hard, made an effort and failed has nothing to feel ashamed about. Disappointment could possibly be transformed into a good learning experience... but shame? You can set up situations where not studying could lead to shame, but I can't imagine how being ashamed because you failed to read correctly a text you couldn't rehearse could be turned into a positive experience.

My issue with reading in class has nothing to do with failing. Students are asked in turn to read a passage they have never read before, which implies that they will inevitably do a poor job of it, butcher some of it, and others are asked to listen to improper pronunciation and intonation... to what avail? What could the whole point be? To make students ashamed of themselves and eachother? The source of the problem is that it's incredibly easy for a teacher to bring a text, make the students read it outloud and be somewhat comforted into thinking that someone learned something.

Edited by Arekkusu on 21 November 2011 at 8:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 47 of 70
21 November 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
You can feel comfortable with the "shame" situation because you get used to it. Its technical term is "habituation".

I am not talking about somethig new. It's very old, but now we have a lot of empirical evidence.

No, bollocks. Seriously, bollocks. I don't like being abusive, but as a kid I was ashamed about a lot of things. I never "habituated", I instead lived life on the fringes of society, feeling rubbish and sorry for myself. I have known other people who lived with shame and alienation and never "habituated", instead choosing to kill themselves in ways I never dared ask about.

I mentioned teen suicide in the last post, and I kind of hoped you would have enough tact to shut up at that point, but you didn't.

If you genuinely think that shame can be used to positive ends, then you have never felt shame -- shame about your height, weight, skin colour, hair colour, chest size or ... other size. Shame about your voice, or your zits, or your glasses, or your braces. Shame about being the thick one in the class, about being the brainy swot, about being unable to kick straight in football or standing on your partner's toes in dance classes. Shame about being gay, or a virgin, or pregnant. Shame about the amount of money your parents make and the cheap clothes you wear.

Shame is a HORRIBLE emotion, and if you seriously think you can use it as a tool to learn languages, then you need to think again.
7 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 48 of 70
22 November 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear, right now I don't know what you are talking about.

Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

No, bollocks. Seriously, bollocks. I don't like being abusive, but as a kid I was ashamed about a lot of things. I never "habituated", I instead lived life on the fringes of society, feeling rubbish and sorry for myself. I have known other people who lived with shame and alienation and never "habituated", instead choosing to kill themselves in ways I never dared ask about.

You weren't habituated because of the context.

I am talking about ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR these situations and NOT passively suffering them.

Cainntear wrote:

I mentioned teen suicide in the last post, and I kind of hoped you would have enough tact to shut up at that point, but you didn't.

Suicide has nothing to do with our topic.

Cainntear wrote:

If you genuinely think that shame can be used to positive ends, then you have never felt shame -- shame about your height, weight, skin colour, hair colour, chest size or ... other size. Shame about your voice, or your zits, or your glasses, or your braces. Shame about being the thick one in the class, about being the brainy swot, about being unable to kick straight in football or standing on your partner's toes in dance classes. Shame about being gay, or a virgin, or pregnant. Shame about the amount of money your parents make and the cheap clothes you wear.

Shame is a HORRIBLE emotion, and if you seriously think you can use it as a tool to learn languages, then you need to think again.

As I said before, if you want to improve in any skill, you will need to push yourself. This means discomfort and negative emotions.
You'd better recognize it and embrace it like a useful tool, because pain, in any of its forms, is unavoidable.

Edited by slucido on 22 November 2011 at 8:56pm

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version