United States
Joined 4862 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 25 of 66
20 December 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
...how difficult is [Vietnamese] compared to other Asian languages?

Depends on what Asian language you compare it to...out of the Asian languages with a
large amount of speakers, Cantonese probably provides the most fruitful comparison.
Vietnamese has six tones, similar to Cantonese (between six and nine tones, depending
on how you look at it). Vietnamese has TONS of vowels: i, ê, e, ư, â, ơ, ă, a, u, ô, o.
And those are just the monophthongs! The consonants aren't a walk in the park either,
at least for native English speakers; a lot of the consonants are unaspirated.
Vietnamese is spoken lightning fast and not necessarily how it's spelled (not to the
same degree as English, which is a nightmare in this respect, but enough so to make it
really difficult for learners).

Vietnamese vocabulary, like I mentioned earlier, is up to 60% Sino-Vietnamese, but the
similarities between the Chinese and Vietnamese words aren't exactly self-evident,
particularly for Mandarin speakers. The discount appears to be greater for Cantonese
speakers, as the words are more similar to each other.

Grammar-wise, Vietnamese is an isolating language (like Mandarin, Cantonese, and, more
and more, English) with an SVO word order, although in Vietnamese, modifiers follow the
modified. Vietnamese has a classifier system.

One of the most difficult parts of Vietnamese are the forms of address, which vary
depending on the genders, ages, and intimacy of the speakers. For instance, I'm chị
(older sister) to my younger siblings and friends; em (younger sibling) to my older
siblings, friends, and male partners; con (child) to my parents; cháu (grandchild,
niece/nephew) to my grandparents or my friend's parents; cô (aunt, miss) to my nieces,
nephews, and students; bạn (friend) to some acquaintances; and Magdalene to close
friends (ex. "Magdalene khỏe không?" means "How are you?" when a close friend says it
to me). And those are just the ways to refer to myself! I probably missed a few, too.
:P It's a really cool feature of the language, and it takes a while to wrap your head
around.

One of the things that makes Vietnamese so difficult, regardless of any features of the
language itself, is the comparative lack of resources. The textbooks that are out there
focus mainly on the northern (Hà Nội) dialect, which is the prestige dialect in
Vietnam. Most of the speakers you'll meet elsewhere, though, speak the southern (Sài
Gòn) variety of the language. (The central [Huế] variety is neglected almost entirely
in the materials I've seen.) The northern and southern varieties of the language are
mutually intelligible. There are vocabulary and pronunciation differences between the
two; the southern variety even drops one of the tones sometimes, pronouncing bả
("poison," which uses hỏi, "asking tone") and bã ("residue," which uses ngã,
"tumbling/falling tone") both as bả. So these differences aren't insurmountable by any
means, but the dearth of good (or even abundant) resources makes learning the language
that much harder.

Vietnamese is an amazing language spoken by amazing people (aren't they all?), and I
fully recommend studying it if it catches your fancy.

Wow, long post is long...I hope that answered your question. Let me know if you have
any more questions about the language; I might be able to answer you.
_____
In other news, I find it funny that about half of this thread is given over to
wanderlust musings. Keep it together, people! ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4785 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 26 of 66
20 December 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Magdalene wrote:
In other news, I find it funny that about half of this thread is given
over to wanderlust musings. Keep it together, people! ;)

Temptation is so hard to resist...I foresee some of us learning Navajo by the end of TAC
(I better stop, I'm giving people ideas haha!).

On a more serious note, that was a very interesting description of Vietnamese - I
actually did not know much about that language at all until now.

Edited by NickJS on 20 December 2011 at 6:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5177 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 27 of 66
21 December 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
That was a very good explanation Magdalene! Thanks! I thought there were more tones in
Vietnamese, but maybe they were just more difficult than those in Cantonese for example.
Vietnamese sounds like a very interesting language! :) Maybe I'll have time to study it
one day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6423 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 66
23 December 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I'm in! Thanks for letting me join, despite not studying a Sinitic language :P
I'll be learning German and Danish, flirting with Dutch. And dad gave me a book to read on the logic&combinations of the hanzi/kanji (for Japanese learners). i hope the team name character will be explained there too :)

it's really kind of ridiculous how much I'm struggling with German. I'm sure seeing everyone's progress in far more difficult languages will motivate me <333

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4785 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 

Message 29 of 66
23 December 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm in! Thanks for letting me join, despite not studying a Sinitic
language :P
I'll be learning German and Danish, flirting with Dutch. And dad gave me a book to read
on the logic&combinations of the hanzi/kanji (for Japanese learners). i hope the team
name character will be explained there too :)

it's really kind of ridiculous how much I'm struggling with German. I'm sure seeing
everyone's progress in far more difficult languages will motivate me <333

Good to see you here Serpent! There is definitely some difficult languages on this team
...Not to mention all of our wanderlust too haha!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5177 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 30 of 66
23 December 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, I don't speak Danish but I am Swedish so I might be able to help you if you have
any questions :) I have also studied German a few years at school, but I have forgotten a
lot :P

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4785 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 

Message 31 of 66
24 December 2011 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I was wondering, will we be putting the links to our separate TAC logs on the first page
of this thread?

I think I'm going to write mine out on Christmas day :P.

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4715 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 32 of 66
24 December 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for letting me join you, even though I'm only studying German. :)

I look forward to seeing how people tackle the other languages here as well, as I'd like to learn some of them myself one day. :)

Edited by Hidden on 24 December 2011 at 4:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version