Poland
Joined 5069 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 9 of 119
02 January 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

Dziękuję bardzo za link! Strona internetowa wydaje mi się bardzo użyteczna - na pewno
będę korzystała
dużo z niej. Jak długo uczysz się walijskiego? Jest Ci bardzo trudno czy nie? Na razie
nie mam żadnych
problemów, ale oczywiście ledwie zaczynam.

"na pewno będę korzystała dużo z niej" -> should be "na pewno będę często z niej
korzystała", 'dużo' alone would refer to quantitity than to frequency
"dużo razy" or "wiele razy" -> many times
"często" -> often, frequently

The rest is perfect :)

Ja też dopiero zaczęłam się uczyć walijskiego. Regularnie uczę się od miesiąca, a w
języku zakochałam się w kwietniu. Muszę się zdyscyplinować i stworzyć plan naukowy.
Najtrudniej mi idzie zapamiętywanie długich (w piśmie) rzeczowników jeśli sama muszę
sobie je czytać. Za bardzo lubię ten język żeby zniechęcać się przez takie trudności.

One of my New Yer's resolutions is to be diligent with my Welsh language studies.

I must admit that I rarely read Polish literature. Nevertheless, I have some titels for
you.

"Gnój" - Wojciech
Kuczok

"Lesio" - Joanna
Chmielewska
I find all Chmielewska's novels very entertaining, especially the
older ones (she's written plenty of books)

Saga o wiedźminie - Andrzej
Sapkowski
You might have heard of the Witcher (fantasy game)

"Flet a mandragory" - Waldemar
Łysiak

"Lód" - Jacek
Dukaj

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 119
03 January 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Hey, Amerykanka!

I'm curious why you chose Polish as your first foray into a foreign language. Everyone says it's so hard, and you seem to speak it fairly well. =)

I tried learning a little Polish last year, but none of it would stick. I've always wanted to learn it, but I am going to try an easier Slavic language (Croatian) before I try to tackle Russian and Polish. I'm hoping they will be a little easier then!

I'm looking forward to watching your progress this year!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 11 of 119
03 January 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Gosiak, dziękuję bardzo za poprawkę i za polecenia! Nigdy nie słyszałam o żadnej z tych książek (co nie jest
zaskakujące) i wyglądają bardzo dobrze. Jestem wielką miłośniczką powieści fantastycznych!

Ja też muszę zrobić jakiś plan na naukę walijskiego. Obecnie tylko studiuję kiedykolwiek mam kilka wolnych
minut, ale będę uczyła się szybciej jeśli wyznaczę sobie cele.

Powodzenia w Twoich studiach!
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 12 of 119
03 January 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Hey, Amerykanka!

I'm curious why you chose Polish as your first foray into a foreign language. Everyone says it's so hard, and
you seem to speak it fairly well. =)

I tried learning a little Polish last year, but none of it would stick. I've always wanted to learn it, but I am going
to try an easier Slavic language (Croatian) before I try to tackle Russian and Polish. I'm hoping they will be a
little easier then!

I'm looking forward to watching your progress this year!

Hi Kerrie!

My grandmother is Polish, although unfortunately she can't speak the language anymore, and when I was
younger I was very interested in genealogy. After years of being unable to pronounce very neat-looking
Polish surnames, I decided I wanted to learn Polish. Back then I knew next to nothing about languages in
general, so I had no idea that Polish was regarded as being so difficult. Fortunately for me, I already had an
elementary knowledge of Latin, so I wasn't completely befuddled by all the Polish cases. After a year or so I
was completely fascinated by Polish, and shortly after that I became wildly interested in languages in general.

I don't know much about Croatian, except that its name is always very confusingly linked with those of
Bosnian and Serbian. Is it really one of the easier Slavic languages? I have heard people say that Bulgarian
is not so scary for the English speaker because it doesn't have cases, but I have never heard anything about
Croatian either way. What makes it easier?

I hope you enjoy and have lots of luck learning Croatian! :) As for Polish, it is a fantastic language, so you
should definitely give it another try sometime!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 119
03 January 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Bosnian and Croatian are the same language. (Ethnic/political issues I won't go into.) Serbian is a close dialect, and is considered the same language by linguists. So, as far as I am concerned (being neither politically or ethnically involved), they are the same language.

So far, it's a lot easier for me than Russian and Polish were when I looked at them both last year. Russian wasn't so bad, but the alphabet scared me. (I know, kind of crazy, right!)

I work with a bunch of Bosnians, so I hear the language all day long. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with why it's easier for me. Most of the sounds are similar to Spanish, and it's easy to read after you've learned the sounds.

I'm actually much healthier now that I was six months ago. I have a clear head now, as long as I watch what I eat. (I have a ton of food intolerances, which was fogging up my brain quite badly!) That might be why everything seems so much clearer now, too. Once I get to a solid level in Croatian, I will definitely be revisiting both Russian and Polish.

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5069 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 14 of 119
03 January 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
Gosiak, dziękuję bardzo za poprawkę i za polecenia! Nigdy nie
słyszałam o żadnej z tych książek (co nie jest
zaskakujące) i wyglądają bardzo dobrze. Jestem wielką miłośniczką powieści
fantastycznych!

Ja też muszę zrobić jakiś plan na naukę walijskiego. Obecnie tylko studiuję
kiedykolwiek mam kilka wolnych
minut, ale będę uczyła się szybciej jeśli wyznaczę sobie cele.

Powodzenia w Twoich studiach!

My corrections:

polecenia -> as a plural it means 'commands'(sg polecenie),
you could use "polecenie książek" in which "polecenie" would be a verb ('recommending
books')or
book suggestions - sugestie książkowe

"wygląda bardzo dobrze" is used to describe looks not the content, it is not as general
as in English
wyglądają na interesujące - they look like interesting ones (roughly translating)
you can not use "i" as a conjunction in this sentence because the clauses have
different subjects (you & novels), you could replace it with comma

"plan na naukę" -> "plan nauki" is correct

and "obecnie studiuję/uczę się kiedykolwiek tylko mam kilka wolnych minut"

Cieszę się, że lubisz czytać powieści fantasy, ponieważ moim zdaniem polska współczesna
literatura tego gatunku jest bardzo dobra. Zastanowię się co mogę Ci polecić.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 15 of 119
04 January 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
@Kerrie, thanks for clarifying the Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian question for me. Having coworkers who speak
the language must be very useful for you - you can be learning all day! Being in better health helps a lot as
well, I'm sure. I've always thought the Russian alphabet was scary, too, though! :)

@Gosiak, dziękuję za poprawki! :) Nigdy nie wiedziałam o tym, że wyraz "polecenia" w liczbie mnogiej musi
znaczyć "rozkazy" a nie "sugestie" - muszę dodać ten fakt do Anki. Czy bym mogła powiedzieć "zalecenia" w
tym kontekście?

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 16 of 119
05 January 2012 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Since it is already January 4th, I had better go ahead and post my first update. I haven't done a whole lot of
studying so far this year (I am being lazy and reveling in my last days of freedom before school starts), but I
have managed to do a little bit. I should note here that I don't keep track of study time. It messes me up; I
start focusing on the desired amount of time and not the material to be studied itself, with disastrous results. I
may keep track of my time for Spanish later on, if I need motivation - we'll see - but other than that I will use
only vague approximations for the amount of time spent studying.

For Latin and Welsh, I have done absolutely nothing. I hope to improve these statistics shortly!

For Spanish, I reviewed my cards in Anki. Then I read two news articles and added the new vocabulary
(roughly 20 words) to Anki. I also spent some time finding other vocabulary words. Finding new vocabulary is
always a struggle for me with Spanish. Clearly I need to start reading more! I have the first Harry Potter book
and the third Lord of the Rings in Spanish, but I have read both of them millions of times in English. I need to
go to the bookstore. :)

For Polish, I spent quite a bit of time going through sheets of undefined vocabulary words and adding the
aforesaid words to my vocabulary. I think an explanation of my vocabulary methods is in order. First, I have
approximately 2,700 paper flashcards that I no longer review with any degree of frequency. I have known
these words forever and for the most part I have no trouble recalling them. Second, I have another 2,000
paper cards which I review over the course of two weeks. These are more newly acquired words which I am
not quite so familiar with. Third, I have around 100 cards that I review every day. These are my newest
additions. Once I am satisfied that I know them, I shift them to the once-every-two-weeks decks. Fourth, I
have an Anki deck with around 800 cards in it. Any word that I have trouble remembering gets added to this
deck. I also add phrases, grammatical notes, colloquialisms, and sample sentences to this deck. Fifth (and
last), there are my word lists. Polish words that have no easy English equivalents go on the word lists. I
include each Polish word, its definitions (explained in Polish), and sometimes a few examples of its usage.
Right now my master word list for 2012 has about 350 words on it. I learn 15 a week.

Okay, that was a really long and complicated explanation of my process. It has been developed over many
years and feels natural, even though it is incredibly convoluted. Oh, well. My point in writing all that was to
say that when I write "define new vocabulary words", I mean look them up in up to four (or sometimes more)
different dictionaries and then decide whether to add them to my Anki deck, my paper cards, or my word lists.
This process can take me a very long time.

This week I have spent a few hours defining new vocabulary words. I also reviewed quite a few flashcards
and studied this week's word list. I read 6 pages of Pan Tadeusz and then looked up the new vocabulary.
My favorite new word was dyby, which means stocks, as in the medieval means of punishment. I also
studied some new (or familiar but not completely understood) prepositions - I think I know how to use them
now, thank goodness, so no more embarrassments on that score.

I think that's it. I'm hoping to do some more Polish tonight, since I have a meeting with my tutor tomorrow, but
we'll see.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version