United States
Joined 6889 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 25 of 73
22 April 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
Interesting? Yes. Applicable to making personal life-changing decisions? Not so much.

It's probably true that in the 'real world' very few people take up another language unless they have to, but HTLAL has its share of users who are into languages for their own sake, and for such users the language choice is not necessarily part of a "personal life-changing decision". So, we have two categories of learners who may aproach the language selection process differently, which is not surprising.

As far as it being a bit of hair-splitting to take the general relative difficulty of Mandarin and Japanese into account when choosing between the two, we are in agreement. I would, however, find it easier to understand if someone were looking at the differences in a specific area of concern to him or her.

Edited by frenkeld on 23 April 2012 at 1:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6589 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 26 of 73
22 April 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
I think we can all agree at this point that Mandarin is so hard, that it's doubtful that even native speakers really know how to speak it. I posit they're all just making it up as they go along.
10 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5361 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 27 of 73
22 April 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
I think we can disagree on that...
1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4617 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 73
22 April 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
Or perhaps knowing that your language is "objectively harder" provides you with some hollow sense of pride?

Why would it be hollow? Different people learn languages for different reasons. In another thread, you provided a list of factors you think people
need to consider to select a language. While that list wouldn't be useful to me, I accept that it's useful to you. It's good to keep an open mind about
these things, since we vary so much as individuals.

Regarding the topic, Mandarin is easier than Japanese for me. Grammar is my weak point, and for me Japanese grammar is much harder than
Mandarin grammar. Also, I find multiple readings to be more difficult that multiple characters.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 29 of 73
22 April 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks nway. One of the things I love about this forum is broadening my horizons.

And to the question "why do we compare languages' difficulty", there is a simple answer.
We enjoy it and as we never come all to an agreement (except for the obvious variations,
such as comparison of Mandarin and Swedish), we can enjoy the discussion repeatedly.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 5002 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 30 of 73
22 April 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
   A forum member once claimed that native Russian speakers have a fair
chance of attaining virtually native pronunciation in Japanese and Italian.

I wonder why.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 73
22 April 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Another refutation of a claim not made. A more difficult pronunciation was never implied to say anything about the overall level of difficulty.
Well, I said so. Because I'm a linguist and I love grammar and grammar doesn't scare me, but pronunciation sort of does, at least when tones are involved.
Also, Danish is often said to be more difficult than Swedish or Norwegian, because while their difficulty is similar, the Danish pronunciation is considered more difficult.
Though really it's all just theoretic in my case. I have enough interest in Danish that I made up my mind without hesitation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6889 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 32 of 73
22 April 2012 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
   A forum member once claimed that native Russian speakers have a fair
chance of attaining virtually native pronunciation in Japanese and Italian.

I wonder why.

If my memory is right, it was furyou_gaijin who said that. He chose to remain a bit mysterious, listing Latin as his native language. He profile currently lists Japan as the country of residence. I also recall that he mentioned having done simultaneous interpreting, and that his native language was not English. From what I rememeber, he had studied Mandarin and Japanese, as well as several other languages. He may have been from Russia, but that would be speculation on my part. I had the impression he knew Russian well and had at least visited the country.

I would certainly seek an independent corroboration of this claim if you are about to jump into Japanese or Italian. :)

Edited by frenkeld on 23 April 2012 at 2:01am

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version