Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 25 of 133
19 July 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-19 Donnerstag|Torsdag

Deutsch

Finished listening to the rest of "Der Tod in Venedig", using what I am calling for
now, my intense listening method. I listen only for sound primarily. Sometimes I
visualise the spelling; mostly I don't. I close my eyes to eliminate visual
distraction. German is fortunately almost always nicely enunciated, especially in this
kind of format, so you don't have to "hunt" for the words as you might in other
languages. I almost never fail to recognise a word; just occasionally I'll not be sure.
This is not to say that I understand every word. Of course I don't. But it's
surprising; even though I am listening for sound and not meaning in this mode, I have
actually found that I'm picking up the meaning better than in some other modes. I think
it is because I'm actively resisting all forms of distraction in order to concentrate
on the sound alone.

Iversen talks about something a little bit similar in part of one of his guides, but he
actually does it differently. There is more than one way of peeling an orange. (As a
cat lover, I don't like to use the "cat" metaphor! :) ).

I don't stop to write down words (and I certainly don't stop to look up words). I don't
stop for anything unless someone wants to talk to me, or the phone or doorbell rings or
something. (Or one of the cats is demanding food; like now ...).
(anyone fluent in Cat? one of our cats is a real chatterbox, but she has to put up with
English from me, which she does with good humoured tolerance).

Well, I was going on to say that while doing this intense reading, I don't make any
effort to memorise words to look up later. I feel that even the effort of doing that
would distract me from listening. However, I still do remember some words to look up,
and I try to do this right away.

This was actually a short book - it's only a short story. So it's been easy to do this
intense listening for it. It might not be so easy to do it for a long book. On the
other hand, this story is multi-layered, with some difficult language, and lots of
metaphors and classical references which I don't even necessarily get in the English
versions, unless they are spelled out in the notes. That being the case, it's obviously
a good candidate for intense listening.

Danish

None so far today, but I hope to watch the latest episode of Borgen via iPlayer, if my
internet connection co-operates.
...Later...

Now watched it. A good episode, but had to watch it in streaming mode - for some reason
could not download it. Because of internet delays it means the subtitles often don't
correspond with the audio. For whatever reason, I didn't pick up as many words in this
episode :-( There was also a lot of English spoken, as it's about the visit from the
leader of a former Soviet state, and they used English as a lingua franca. It's
interesting that (from my perspective as an Englishman), Sidse Babette Knudsen (who
plays the PM) speaks
English with very little trace of a non-English accent, whereas Birgitte Hjort Sorensen
who plays the young reporter Katrine, speaks with a pronounced American accent -
perhaps an American would hear this as "accent-free". I wonder if the difference
relates to the difference in their ages? I'd guess "Katrine" is at least 10 years
younger; probably more.

Edit: Well, it seems that Sorensen is indeed about 14 years younger, but Knudsen spent
what looks like 2 years in New York, and Sorensen has worked in
England.   So, is it just the age that might have made a difference?

Edited by montmorency on 20 July 2012 at 12:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5292 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 26 of 133
20 July 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
It's interesting that (from my perspective as an Englishman), Sidse
Babette Knudsen (who plays the PM) speaks
English with very little trace of a non-English accent, whereas Birgitte Hjort Sorensen
who plays the young reporter Katrine, speaks with a pronounced American accent -
perhaps an American would hear this as "accent-free". I wonder if the difference
relates to the difference in their ages? I'd guess "Katrine" is at least 10 years
younger; probably more.

Edit: Well, it seems that Sorensen is indeed about 14 years younger, but Knudsen spent
what looks like 2 years in New York, and Sorensen has worked in
England.   So, is it just the age that might have made a difference?

Making grand, general statements is always a bit dangerous, but there's not necessarily
anything certain to say about which person uses which accent. If we base it on the
input we get from TV and movies, American English would probably be in the lead, but
there's still a tendency for teachers to push British English in education. The
perception of each accent is also a bit different: American English is more hip,
current and "happening", whereas British English is seen to be more conservative and
old-fashioned, but also more cultured. Of course, this is a very rough, and also not
necessarily true, picture.

As for my personal experience, a friend of mine once told me that RP was the standard
among Danish students studying English at the university level. Again, this is probably
more a manifestation of some people's preconceptions of what speaking in a certain
accent means than a genuine representation of the state of different English accents in
Denmark. I'd say that American English is just as prevalent among young Danes as
British due to the amount of input we get. It probably changes with age, and as I
mentioned, all of my English teachers have tried to teach us more British English than
American. I'm sure British English has also been the main accent taught in schools and
onwards since about the post WW2 era.

Not to mention, many Danes, especially older people, really don't have the legendary
English language skills that we are attributed by some people, and of course, their
accent is more Danish than British or American.

Edited by Danac on 20 July 2012 at 4:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 27 of 133
22 July 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
@Danac: Many thanks. Nice to get a Danish perspective.

I was rather amazed by how "English" sounding Sidse Babette Knudsen sounded, at least
initially. I supposed if one went in for a critical analysis, one would find clues, but
superficially anyway, if she had been acting in something on UK-produced TV, it would
have been hard for people to guess where she came from. Interestingly, in last weekend's
edition of the British version of Wallander, on BBC TV, we had an appearance from Søren
Malling. He was playing the Latvian policeman from the story "Dogs of Riga". His English
was very fluent of course, but in that case he was meant to have an accent of some sort,
so this worked very well.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 28 of 133
22 July 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
2012-07-20-21 Freitag-Samstag|Sonnabend|Fredag-Lørdag

Dansk

I completed the remaining audio pieces on the TYSCD CDs, which does not mean I have
fully worked through the book. Although all the dialogues on the CDs are in the book,
not all the dialogues in the book are on the CDs. It would be good if they could offer
the additional dialogues on CD as an add-on.

I think I am going to go back make a concerted attempt to learn all the vocabulary in
the book wordlist-style, and then go through all the CD dialogues again. (I've already
been through them all several times, although sometimes not paying full attention).
I'll then see if I can tackle the dialogues that are only in the book (and not on CD)
on my own, and see how I get on.

It is not perhaps as ambitious as it sounds to learn all the vocab in the book. For a
start, as Prof. Arguelles points out in one of his videos, there isn't as much vocab in
modern TYS as there was in the traditional ones. Also in Danish, one is getting a lot
of clues via English, and I can also get them via German. One sometimes has to look at
the Danish words a bit "sideways" (as it were) to see the relationship, but once it
hits you, it's obvious. I just chose a page at random with a vocabulary list, and in
well over half of those words would you be able to guess at their meaning from either
English or German. That might not be representative, but it's at least encouraging.
That's from the written language, but sometimes you get more of a clue from the spokem
language. e.g. "Værsgo" = "here you are", reminds me of "there you go", which is almost
the same. "meget" = "very", reminds me of "mighty" (which can be used colloqually to
mean "very", e.g. "I'm mighty hungry". And a word like "båd" sounds more like "boat"
than it looks like it.

Deutsch

I finished both of my copies of translations of "Death in Venice", one by David Luke
(which is from 1988, and not earlier, as I said before), and the other by Stanley
Appelbaum (1995). To be honest, I'm not seeing many differences, except that Appelbaum
does have a few American usages, which is fair enough, as it was published for the
American market. He does say he was aiming for a more literal translation though, which
is probably the case, although as he says in the notes, a truly literal translation of
a story like this would be largely gibberish in English. I'll try to include more
detail of the notes by both of them in a later update to this log, as I think people
might be interested.

I'm now reading the 2nd translation I have of "Irrungen Wirrungen", this one by Peter
James Bowman (as "On Tangled Paths)". One difference that I appreciate is that the
dialogue of the ordinary Berliners is less obviously "Cockneyfied", which I found a bit
of a distraction in the Derek Bowman translation. Of course we understand that the
ordinary people will not be speaking like the nobility (this is essentially a story of
love across the class barrier), but I think we can use our imagination sufficiently
about that, without it having to be made so glaringly obvious. I appreciate that
Berlinerish is (was) probably very analogous to Cockney, although it is probably almost
impossible to translate in any meaningful way.

I will also listen to the audiobook for "Irrungen Wirrungen", either after finishing
the translation, or (depending on how I feel) after every few chapters of reading,
listen to the same chapters in audio, i.e. not L-R-ing as such, but reading the
translation, followed by "intense listening" of the German.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By chance I found myself listening to some French. My latest rentals from Lovefilm
happened to be 2 films by Joseph Losey, (both with Dirk Bogarde and screenplay by
Harold Pinter), "The Servant" (1963) and "Accident" (1967). The latter included a
documentary about Losey made in France and was in a mixture of subtitled French and
English. Both are great films, by the way, and I highly recommend them.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 29 of 133
24 July 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
2012-07-22-23 Sonntag-Montag|Søndag-Mandag

Deutsch

Spent a few hours yesterday helping my adult son (at his request) go through some
Michel Thomas. He did German at school (without great enthusiasm, it must be said), and
is trying to revive it, for short-lived work purposes, via a crash course in MT, plus a
few little pointers from me. In fact, if his plans come to fruition, it will actually
be another language that will be more useful, but I won't say any more about that now,
in case I "jinx" him! I was pleasantly surprised how much he was remembering, both
from school, and from the stuff he'd done recently. Plus it was interesting to watch
someone else go through the learning process.

I'm coming towards the end of the "Irrungen Wirrungen" audiobook, and the translation
by Peter James Bowman. I read the translation before I listen, but not always
immediately before. It's only a short book, and I've already read the other
translation, so I don't have much trouble understanding it, even if I don't know every
German word. The language is definitely more straightforward than "Death in Venice",
and also more straightforward than some other Fontane novels. It has a lot of dialogue
in it, which helps, and there is a pretty clear narrative structure (with some small
flashbacks, which are in no way confusing, fortunately). It would be easy to turn it
into a film or a radio play.

But to say it was a simple book would be to undersell it. In fact I think it is very
cleverly structured. Everything happens for a reason. As the notes point out, events
take place in a distinct time period, and in real locations. Fontane spent time at
several of the locations to get them just right, and various real people are mentioned
in passing, although the main characters are fictitious. (Although apparently, after
publication, Fontane was embarrassed to receive a visit from an irate woman who claimed
that it was about her!). When the story was serialised, Prussian society professed
itself to be shocked, even though it described a sequence of events that was absolutely
typical in that society. When it was published in book form, Fontane cannily made sure
that the press that was likely to be sympathetic received advance copies, and the
hostile press didn't, and he managed to get lots of good reviews, and the book became a
hit.

Someone described Theodor Fontane as the Jane Austen of German literature. I haven't
read any Jane Austen (I'm ashamed to say), so I cannot say how true that is, but I can
see some similarities to Anthony Trollope.
Edit Just found an audiobook of "Pride and Prejudice" in German. Might be a
pretty cool way of getting into Jane Austen after all these years! I seem to remember
hearing that she is good on dialogue, as is Fontane, which should hopefully help.

Dansk

Listened to some dr.dk podcasts fairly randomly, just to keep my ear in (sort of).

Edited by montmorency on 25 July 2012 at 2:40am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 30 of 133
24 July 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-24 Dienstag|Tirsdag

Deutsch

Finished reading the Peter James Bowman translation of "Irrungen, Wirrungen" (as "On
Tangled Paths"), and the audiobook. I think the audiobook was read by Gert Westphal,
who also read the audiobook of "Buddenbrooks" that I have. At least his rolling "R"s
sound the same. I looked up Westphal, and he was born in Dresden. Do they roll their
"R"s in Dresden? There again, he seems to have moved around a lot (and was in West
Germany after the war, and died in Switzerland). He died in 2002, and this book appears
to date from 2004, but that doesn't necessarily signify. It might have been a reissue,
for example. It may also have been originally a radio broadcast, as for the 1st 2
chapters, you can hear an audience responding. You don't hear them after that, but he
makes asides, at the beginning and end of each chapter, which makes me think it wasn't
a studio recording. Anyway, it's quite an enjoyable listen.

Next on the German list is probably "Unwiederbringlich", for which I have German text
and a modern-ish translation, and now I have the audiobook.

Dansk

I did some vocabulary-learning via wordlist, going back to words in the 1st part of the
book. I worked out that there are approximately 1,500 Danish words in the vocabulary
pages towards the back. If I were to do 3 groups of 7 per day, i.e. 21, it would take
about 2½ months to learn them all. Being generous and saying that only 1000 are totally
new words (not helped by English, German, or already known), that would bring it down
to about 7 weeks I think. hm... I might try the approach of learning all words
mentioned in one chapter per day. This would be easy for the early chapters, as I know
a lot of those now, but it would get harder quite quickly, I think. I am not certain
whether the vocabulary at the back only covers words already included in the preceding
chapters, or has additional words. I suppose when I think I know all the words
mentioned in the chapters, I just have to go down the list of words at the back and see
if and where I trip over.

Edited by montmorency on 25 July 2012 at 2:06am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 31 of 133
26 July 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
2012-07-25 Mittwoch|Onsdag

Deutsch

I have been continuing reading my translation of "Unwiederbringlich", and in between,
listening to chapters of the corresponding audiobook.

Mostly, I was reading first, and then intensely listening, but I also did some "proper"
L-R, listening to the German while reading the English. (Perhaps "proper" LR would
involve parallel texts, which I don't currently have for this. I don't rule that out,
but it's not what I'm using for now). It worked up to a point. The point at which I
just carried on reading the English and "tuned out" the German. Others have warned of
this. I acknowledge that it's a risk in my case. I will keep experimenting.

I think it depends entirely on the difficulty of the text, with respect to the
individual reader. I suppose I am slightly more visual than aural, or maybe it's just
that my native language will always take precedence.

As I have long suspected, not only is there more than one way to do "L-R", there is
more than one way for any given individual to do it,even with the same work, both aural
and literal.

In other words: keep experimenting. It's what I am doing, anyway.
And be very clear about what you are hoping to achieve from each "session".

I also tried this with a couple of chapters of "Effi Briest", which I know quite well
by now, using a good translation, and a new (to me) audiobook I have acquired. The
results were pretty much the same as with the other book. The lesson for me is, to give
yourself time, and do it several ways.

Dansk

Some long overdue revision of my wordlist book.
I am essentially returning to the first part of the TYS book, vocabulary-wise.
I gave myself a shock, before realising that I had started recording words from the end
of the book, at the beginning of my wordlist book, for some reason. When I look more
carefully at the words from the beginning of the book, I know rather more of them, but
not as many as I should do :-(
And obvious point is that one remembers more words in context than out of it.

In a short while, the next episode of "Borgen", on BBC 4.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 32 of 133
26 July 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-26 Donnerstag | Torsdag

Deutsch

It is interesting that, while many of Fontane's books are about Prussia,
"Unwiederbringlich" is set in Schleswig-Holstein, and in an earlier period, before
German unity, and before Prussian hegemony over the region was guaranteed.

Fontane seems to have been a qualified admirer of Prussia in earlier years, but later,
grew to distance himself from its expansionist tendencies, and, according to some
notes, put his hopes in the working classes. This is clear from "Irrungen, Wirrungen",
which has a working class heroine, and portrays the working class "extras" in a
sympathetic light.

"Unwiederbringlich" however, starts off among the aristocracy and royalty, so we shall
have to see how it progresses. At where I have got to at the moment, the hero(?), Count
Holk, has got to Copenhagen. Could he speak Danish, we ask ourselves? He was seen
earlier apparently reading a Danish newspaper, so perhaps, yes...

In a large bookshop (with a good-ish language department), in my neighbouring city of
Christminster, I managed to find a cheap 2nd-hand edition of "Irrungen, Wirrungen"
today, in good
condition (with "free" pencil annotations :-) ), and another good quality, 2nd-hand
book, which I may mention later. It's an English classic, for which I now have the
German translation in audiobook form (which also came with a German text e-book), and
it sounds very promising indeed. But that's a treat for later.

Edited by montmorency on 27 July 2012 at 11:16pm

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version