Norway
Joined 5396 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 25 of 81
15 July 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
(According to my Catalan professor, it was none other than Franco himself who started this "urban
legend", when he officially classified all Spain's regional languages as "Spanish dialects".)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's an urban legend too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5150 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 81
16 July 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
The main one seems to be the idea that spending time in the country is necessary and
sufficient to become fluent in the language. I've seen enough people's results here to
see that it's not necessary, and met enough Spanish people who've lived here for a decade
and are barely at B1 level in English to see that it's not sufficient.
3 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6094 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 27 of 81
16 July 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
You can learn a language to basic fluency in three months.
6 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4642 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 28 of 81
16 July 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:

You make a good point. Of course you would pick up some words, expressions, etc. I was referencing the idea of total command/fluency just by exposure.

I don't see any reason why you would stop picking up words after some time. Why do you think you can't keep picking up words and expressions until you become fluent?

garyb wrote:
The main one seems to be the idea that spending time in the country is necessary and
sufficient to become fluent in the language. I've seen enough people's results here to
see that it's not necessary, and met enough Spanish people who've lived here for a decade
and are barely at B1 level in English to see that it's not sufficient.

We have the Internet.

Edited by LaughingChimp on 16 July 2012 at 2:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4565 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 29 of 81
16 July 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
I think this idea of English being "easy" stems from the fact that as the global language, people have had a strong motivation to learn it and reap the benefits. But I doubt if the underlying language is that simple. Sure, we don't have genders but there are other parts of the language that are tricky.

People in western Europe tend to regard Russian as a "very difficult" language, but in the days of the USSR many people from surrounding nations successfully learned it, because it was necessary for trade and communication in that large sector of the world. No doubt people in, say, Kazakstan deemed Russian to be "easier" than English.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 81
16 July 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
An important factor is exposure, both with English nowadays (especially in Scandinavia and the Netherlands) and with Russian in the USSR. Many people are motivated to learn English but never reach fluency.

Speaking of exposure... you can learn through it, but there is certainly a myth that if you go to the country of your language, fluency is guaranteed after X amount of time. It's possible and it should be relatively easy with the right attitude, but many immigrants do live in a bubble and/or stop improving when they've reached A2 or B1.

Edited by Serpent on 16 July 2012 at 3:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5775 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 31 of 81
16 July 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
psy88 wrote:

You make a good point. Of course you would pick up some words, expressions, etc. I was referencing the idea of total command/fluency just by exposure.

I don't see any reason why you would stop picking up words after some time. Why do you think you can't keep picking up words and expressions until you become fluent?

Let me introduce you to some of the expat community next time I'm in Prague.
5 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 32 of 81
16 July 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
I frequently heard in Latin America that aboriginal languages are not languages but
dialects because "they do not have a coherent grammar."

:(

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version