81 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 10 11 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 65 of 81
22 January 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
If I promised my parents to visit a church, they would be wondering what the hell went
wrong. I don't think any realistic parent expects their child to travel abroad and visit
the church. At least not where I come from.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4565 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 66 of 81
22 January 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
DesEsseintes wrote:
Guys, I'm talking about lads in their early 20s, who promise their parents they'll visit
Churches and learn the language, while the only thing they have in mind is getting drunk
and laid ;)

Mind you, some knowledge of another language can help you get attention from the local girls.

2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5241 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 67 of 81
22 January 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Theodisce wrote:
... taking into account that school based language teaching is (mostly) a worldwide failure, ...

Another myth. It works in Germany. People with some curiosity can learn a lot from school based language teaching. Of course, many kids are not interested, but for the ones who are it does work pretty well. And I am sure this is true for some other countries as well.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 68 of 81
22 January 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
That's why he said "mostly" :)
School can help with systemizing what you learn from exposure. That's it. Of course pretty much all countries have SOME successful language learners, but the gauge should be languages other than English (or the most important language of your region).
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5241 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 69 of 81
22 January 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

School can help with systemizing what you learn from exposure. That's it.

Well, maybe this is another mythological axiom one should not argue about. For all I know, even languages like French, Spanish, Italian or even Russian are taught at German schools with some success, although the exposure before and probably outside of school is not abundant. Some success is a flexible thing, but what I mean is that people who learned these languages at school are well prepared for further studies on their way to fluent proficiency or whatever.
In these cases it is clearly the other way round: School gives the system, the basics, in many cases the first and only exposure at all, while further exposure and study will lead the ones who are interested towards their personal goal.
Could and should even a quite good educational system like Germany's be much better? Of course, but calling it a total failure is certainly not justified.

As an afterthought: Sometimes I think that countries like the US, where languages are taught with much less success (according to the information I get from sites like this one) should modify their language teaching from what they have now to something more demanding, similar to countries like Germany. People who were taught languages at school (beyond some pro forma 101 high school courses) have much better chances to be successful self learners in their later lives. I think many of the learner biographies here on HTLAL can support this idea.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 81
23 January 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Same can be said about most countries, apart from the really poor classes where the teacher tells fun stories from his/her life in L1. But preparing for fluency should not be considered enough.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5241 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 71 of 81
23 January 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But preparing for fluency should not be considered enough.

I am not so sure. A more than superficial education in both your native language (very important) and languages in general, if it leads to fluency or not, can serve as the solid and lifelong foundation for whatever you want to achieve in foreign languages. Maybe like a soccer player, who does not yet play soccer very well but has excellent fitness and mobility.
You do not think that the linguistic training you have received at school, in Latin, English, I don't know what else, is a big plus for your ambitions as a polyglot? You think people who leave school without a solid preparation are equally well equipped for such high ambitions?

Edited by lingoleng on 23 January 2013 at 3:13am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5277 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 72 of 81
23 January 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
DesEsseintes wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And the myth part here was?.... :-)

There's no myth here!

And indeed, we do expect foreigners to express themselves in a perfect French,
otherwise we just plainly ignore them. Come on, that's the least they can do!

Oh, wait, I see you're from Norway! I'm sorry for you, I mean, as there are blizzards
even in August, it must be tough leaving your house to go buy some food. But cheer up,
because on the other hand, it must be cool to have a husband, sons, and brothers that
can all drive up to 250km/h on icy roads with their Subaru, as all men from Nordic
countries are accomplished rally drivers.

;)

(Just kidding)

Now you see the thing about what we call myths, or even prejudices, is that like it or not they often do build
on some sort of foundation. If we think of Italians as late, and Germans as hard working, there is a reason for
that.

In Norway we actually can have blizzards in August - even though that would be considered a freak incident.
I have a friend who had snow on her wedding day. The 12th of June. Sometimes it actually is hard to get out
of the house to buy food, and in the morning when it has snowed I have to crawl over a 2 meter tall heap of
snow to access the road, and I come out looking like a snowman. And there are more 4WD Subarus here
driven by men and women who are very good at driving on ice and snow than most other places.

What we need to do, is not to generalize any statement into an iron clad rule, which is applicable to all
situations and every person, but still be honest enough to admit that there may be tendencies there.

Is it true that every Frenchman is hostile to people whose French is sub standard, expect them to speak
fluent French and refuse to speak English when they know it? No. Is there a larger tendency to that sort of
behavior in France than in other countries - in my experience there is.

I have spoken broken German in Germany, horrible Spanish in Spain, mere smidgens of Greek in Greece,
Arabic in Egypt, Hebrew in Israel and Polish in Poland, and screamingly bad Russian in Russia and the
Ukraine, and I have always been met with kindness, willingness to help and compliments. Then during the
year I lived in France when I went from knowing no French to fluency, I also went from being treated like dirt
to being welcomed in with the utmost civility, sometimes even by the same people. I saw literally hundreds of
cases, particularly in Paris of foreigners who were treated with contempt by Frenchmen who were themselves
monolingual, and I have had colleagues who worked for the international section in my French sister
company, who did not understand why I asked them what their foreign languages were. Why would they
speak any foreign languages ? They spoke French!

Now I see that over time things have changed. Now all my French colleagues speak English, and people
speak English at hotels and some shops and restaurants. I do not know from my own experience how
beginners who try to speak French are met now, since I am way beyond the beginner phase, but I am really
happy to hear reports that learners now have a much better experience. But please remember, that in most
myths there is a grain of truth. We just need to remember that a grain is not a barn, and not make tendencies
into absolute truths.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version