Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 121 of 186
25 September 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Can one practice conversation skills without actually conversing? I guess you can by talking to yourself. You can take two sides of a dialog. You can think of all the things you want to say. You can practice the pronunciation. You can shadow recordings of dialogs.

But in my opinion those are basic skills, not conversational skills. Conversational skills are by definition interactive. How can you practice that by yourself? It's like trying to learn to dance the rock'n'roll by yourself.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 122 of 186
25 September 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Except that if you can produce speech AND listen, you'll do just fine when you get an actual chance to converse with someone.
3 persons have voted this message useful

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 6028 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 123 of 186
26 September 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
But I have to say that I have very rarely met people who tell me they speak better than they understand. I see about 125 people every week who are interested in talking to other people. Their primary reason for learning French or English is to find work. They are not interested in monologues. They are only too keenly aware of how being able to communicate correctly is important for prospective employers.

These people are keen to improve their speaking skills. They are grateful when I correct them because very few people take the time to do so. We work on conversational skills because they are vital in many jobs. When a job advertisement says "French - English bilingualism necessary," it means that the interview will take place in both languages.

People hire language coaches for the specific purpose of improving their speech. They don't hire coaches to improving their listening skills specifically because these are part of conversational skills.

Yes, but you are applying the situation of living in Quebec (probably Montreal) to the situations of other people. I've lived in Montreal and there the situation is different from what most language learners are experiencing. There English and French are ever-present, whether on the streets or in the media, so people get a lot of exposure to the languages and native ways of speaking them. So there the passive understanding skills are much stronger for the vast majority of language learners.

However most language learners who are learning languages in countries where the language they are learning is not spoken are in totally different situations. There are different registers of speaking a language. Most languge learners get exposed to a very high level native register (if they get exposed to it at all) and also non-native speakers in their classes. So then if they go to a country where the language they learned is spoken, they might have trouble understanding the native speakers. That is just because they have never been exposed to the different levels of registers that natives speaks. This applies to accents, pitch, pronunciation, slang...etc.

For example for some learners of Spanish it might be easier to understand a complicated lecture on some subject in the language, than everyday easy speech in the streets. For example you might go to a store and you ask how much a thing costs and the person responds "dieciseis", however you don't understand the response, because it was said in a way that you are unfamiliar with. You know that dieciseis is 16, you know how to say it yourself, but you might not always recognize the word when said by a native speaker, because you have never been exposed to their speech. Plus you might also have things like idioms or slang. For example, a non-native (and even some native) speakers might not recognize what the expression "what's up?" in English means. Also when speaking, you might help to express yourself by using special words such as "thing" or "truc", while when someone is explaining something to you, they would use the exact name of a thing, which you might not understand...
3 persons have voted this message useful

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 6028 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 

Message 124 of 186
26 September 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Think Radio Canada opposed to some local person speaking in Chicoutimi... When a language learner starts talking to someone like the latter, then they will surely feel like they can speak more than they understand, since they have never been exposed to that accent...

Edited by showtime17 on 26 September 2012 at 12:48am

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5183 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 125 of 186
26 September 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
showtime17 wrote:
Think Radio Canada opposed to some local person speaking in Chicoutimi... When a
language learner starts talking to someone like the latter, then they will surely feel like they can speak more than
they understand, since they have never been exposed to that accent...

I kind of had that experience. I could hold a normal conversation about daily activities, what I wanted to do, etc.,
with my Belgian French teacher. When I went to Chicoutimi for a 3 week immersion, however, I had some initial
difficulty understanding my host family! They seemed to understand me just fine, but it sure took me a lot of effort
at first to understand what they were saying. It was just a matter of adjusting to the different accent and to being in
French full time, with no recourse to English if I didn't know certain vocabulary. I still don't think I'd qualify myself
as a better speaker than listener ... I was just good at certain subjects that I was really familiar with and maybe that
gave them the impression that I was more accomplished as a listener than I actually was. But 24 hour French at
native speed could leave me dizzy. It did improve my listening skills, though!
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 126 of 186
26 September 2012 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I thought we had already gone through this before. The question isn't whether one has difficulty listening to raw speech versus classroom speech, i.e understanding my Belgian French teacher versus understanding people in Chicoutimi, Québec or speaking standard Spanish and then being exposed to a local variety of Spanish.

As I have said many times, this happens quite often and even in our native languages when we are confronted with different regional varieties of our own language. It is normal to have difficulty understanding something unusual. What I find interesting is people claiming that because they have difficulty understanding some dialect or street language they must speak better than they understand.

So, for example, I've learned English at university in Italy and when I go to New York city I have problems understanding the natives. Therefore I must speak better than I understand.

The other issue, for purposes of comparison, if one reads the OP is that a person claims to speak a language well but barely understand a television program in the standard language. In other words, can I claim to speak the standard language and not understand it when it is spoken to me?

But all this has been discussed to death in previous posts.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5710 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 127 of 186
26 September 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
What about this:
a.) it's possible to claim anything.
b.) if you want people to believe your claims, they should be consistent with the other person's impression of you and make sense in their world view.
c.) if you want your claims to be of any practical value, they should trigger appropriate reactions that use your skills at roughly the level they are actually at
d.) if your claims do neither b.) nor c.), a.) is still true.

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 6028 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 

Message 128 of 186
26 September 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I thought we had already gone through this before. The question isn't whether one has difficulty listening to raw speech versus classroom speech, i.e understanding my Belgian French teacher versus understanding people in Chicoutimi, Québec or speaking standard Spanish and then being exposed to a local variety of Spanish.

As I have said many times, this happens quite often and even in our native languages when we are confronted with different regional varieties of our own language. It is normal to have difficulty understanding something unusual. What I find interesting is people claiming that because they have difficulty understanding some dialect or street language they must speak better than they understand.

So, for example, I've learned English at university in Italy and when I go to New York city I have problems understanding the natives. Therefore I must speak better than I understand.

The other issue, for purposes of comparison, if one reads the OP is that a person claims to speak a language well but barely understand a television program in the standard language. In other words, can I claim to speak the standard language and not understand it when it is spoken to me?

But all this has been discussed to death in previous posts.

This thread is the perfect example of why it can be said that people can speak a language better than they can understand it. We are all clearly speaking the same language here, but no one can understand what the other is saying. :)

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 186 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version