Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4436 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 186
21 September 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

What we talking about is that determined self-learner who says, "French/Spanish verbs, no problem; I even have the two forms of the Spanish imperfect subjunctive on the tip of my tongue. I can say anything I want, but I still can't understand more than the present tense of the verbs of the news announcer on the TV. Everything else is a blur"

I don't believe this is possible.

I think it is more likely that he understands subjunctive tenses of verbs he actually knows, but that the problem is actually not knowing many verbs past the most common ones, i.e. lack of vocabulary. This situation could easily result from relying on a non-audio grammar heavy course that taught very little vocabulary and failing to followup with intensive vocabulary study.
1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4709 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 186
21 September 2012 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Someone mentioned something like this earlier in the thread, but I think this may have
something to do with, "tolerance for ambiguity."   I know that I have a very high
tolerance for ambiguity. I tend to say that I understand something if I understand any
of it. This keeps me struggling in a situation where I'm over my head. When the
telenovela is done, if I got the gist of it, I generally say that I understood it, and I
call it a success, and watch it again the next day. Another learner might have the same
level of comprehension, and consider the experience a failure, because they missed some
of it.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

steve
2 persons have voted this message useful

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4876 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 27 of 186
21 September 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
For a determined self-learner, the Romance verbs aren't THAT hard. And as I've already said, I learned to use the various Finnish cases before I could process/identify them fast enough. In this (wonderful) language, if you know the rules you can put pretty much any word in any case. Once you've trained enough this takes half a second. On the other hand, looking at the ending and the word itself and going back to the basic form takes longer. Exposure is essential - when you've heard 80% of the words you know in 3-5 forms each, it gets easier to identify the case.

I think that the toughness of romance verbs could depend on the background of the learner. Romance verbs could be easier for ie. Russians and Finns than for English natives due to the fact that inflected word forms are much more common in Russian and Finnish than in English. As well almost all serious Russian and Finnish self-learners who successfully tackle Spanish have already achieved good competence on English language.

On the other hand learning Spanish vocabulary is much harder for ie. Russians and Finns than for English-speaking learners. So few cognates.

Edited by petteri on 21 September 2012 at 8:50am

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4876 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 28 of 186
21 September 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
Someone mentioned something like this earlier in the thread, but I think this may have
something to do with, "tolerance for ambiguity."   I know that I have a very high
tolerance for ambiguity. I tend to say that I understand something if I understand any
of it. This keeps me struggling in a situation where I'm over my head. When the
telenovela is done, if I got the gist of it, I generally say that I understood it, and I
call it a success, and watch it again the next day. Another learner might have the same
level of comprehension, and consider the experience a failure, because they missed some
of it.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Good point. When I studied languages at school I always scored high points in reading and listening comprehension. Not because I knew the words, but because I have intuitive and highly operational ability to solve problems.

Now I have learned Spanish for over a year and I have developed different tendencies. I get distracted if I do not understand something. That tendency even affects my English comprehension unless I turn it off.

Swedish is a different animal for me. I do not know all the words, but meanings just flow through my brain. There is a vocabulary barrier above which everything blurs, but below that barrier I feel extremely comfortable.

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 186
21 September 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
When speaking, you control the vocabulary used, the rate of speech and the accent. When
listening, you control none of these. So there are some situations where listening is a
much bigger challenge than speaking.

A few examples I've encountered:

- There are some words I know perfectly well from written French, and which I can use
in my own speech, but which I'm extremely unlikely to recognize in full-speed native
speech. A perfect example is oser, which I've known for years, but which took me
3 seasons of Buffy to hear reliably. (It's short and relatively rare.) Other common
examples include cognates with lots of silent letters, where I sometimes 'see' the word
in my mind and pronounce it aloud, even though I'd have great trouble recognizing the
sounds if somebody else used them in fast speech.

- When doing Skype exchanges with people from Quebec—especially with people from
outside the big cities—I sometimes have really frustrating conversations where I can
speak at B2 but only understand around A2. I'll be speaking relatively quickly, about
moderately complicated topics, and my exchange partner will be speaking very slowly,
and will sometimes resort to typing. At B2, I can't reliably compensate for unfamiliar
accents and major differences in grammar during a 30 minute conversation.

As you can see, both of these situations involve subtly different forms of French
(written vs spoken, Europe vs Quebec). Maybe this wouldn't happen as easily in a
language with one dialect and a completely phonetic orthography.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 30 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I recognise emk's problem. I have no problem speaking standard German to anybody but oh
my God if they lapse into Bavarian or Swiss German or whatnot, it might as well be
Japanese to me.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 31 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm think I'm beginning to understand how some people can say that they speak better than they can understand. If you actively know little but you know this little very well, you could truthfully say that you speak well. Let's say you have a limited knowledge of the verb system, but what you do know you know well. However, the little that you know does not allow you to understand what you hear. In that sense, one could technically say, "I can speak (very little) well, but I can hardly understand anything. Therefore I speak better than I can understand."

I guess the real question is how we define "speaking well." This, of course, is how all those language courses can claim to teach you how to speak in two days, 10 days, etc. So, after you've finished your Rosetta Stone, Michel Thomas or Pimsleur, you can honestly say that you speak well.

The problem, as we all know, is that you usually can't do anything in the real world because that "well" does not mean that you are functional with natives. It simply means that you've learned the given material well.

I take a broader view of language skills. If someone says to me that they speak a language well, I expect that person to be able to have a decent conversation. If someone tells me that they speak French well but can't understand two words of what I say, I tend to believe that the person does not speak French that well after all.

I guess it's all a question of perspective.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Never mind that most learners never master all this, our determined learner has figured this all out and still truthfully says that he/she still can't understand the same verbs spoken by an normal native speaker or a television announcer.
..."I can say anything I want, but I still can't understand more than the present tense of the verbs of the news announcer on the TV. Everything else is a blur"
That's oversimplified. Learners can usually only say how much they understand, not what specific forms they can't understand in speech. Most of the time the problem with listening isn't even specific.

As for the verbs, you don't need to know everything to speak. You do need to know it all passively though, otherwise you'll be able to say everything you want to say, but won't understand what a typical native speaker says.

This discussion contains 186 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version