186 messages over 24 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 23 24 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 33 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The problem, as we all know, is that you usually can't do anything in the real world because that "well" does not mean that you are functional with natives. It simply means that you've learned the given material well.
If you learn 500 words well and use them creatively, you can say a lot and be understood. IMO, the very fact that you get responses you can't understand means you speak well - after all, native speakers think you speak well if they reply the way they'd reply a fellow native speaker.
3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I take a broader view of language skills. If someone says to me that
they speak a language well, I expect that person to be able to have a decent
conversation. If someone tells me that they speak French well but can't understand two
words of what I say, I tend to believe that the person does not speak French that well
after all.

Another phenomenon that's typical around B1 & B2: A student can process words fine at a
slow conversational speed (in either direction), but not at a really fast native speed
when the words all come pouring out. Let's imagine that 4 syllables per second is OK,
but 8 syllables just too fast.

In this situation, the student can often manage one-on-one conversation without any
great difficulties, but they'll get lost watching TV shows or participating in
conversations with multiple native speakers. Or they'll understand slower conversations
on TV but have trouble when characters go off on high-speed rants.

If the student can understand speech at the low end of native conversational speed, but
not the high end, this can easily result in a situation where speaking is relatively
straightforward (at least in non-academic registers) but listening is still hit or
miss.

Since the difference between 4 and 8 syllables per second isn't always obvious, and
native speakers could certainly speak at either speed without sounding odd, this may
make people feel like the speak better than they understand.

Edited by emk on 21 September 2012 at 2:33pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 186
21 September 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
When speaking, you control the vocabulary used, the rate of speech and the accent. When
listening, you control none of these. So there are some situations where listening is a
much bigger challenge than speaking.

A few examples I've encountered:

- There are some words I know perfectly well from written French, and which I can use
in my own speech, but which I'm extremely unlikely to recognize in full-speed native
speech. A perfect example is oser, which I've known for years, but which took me
3 seasons of Buffy to hear reliably. (It's short and relatively rare.) Other common
examples include cognates with lots of silent letters, where I sometimes 'see' the word
in my mind and pronounce it aloud, even though I'd have great trouble recognizing the
sounds if somebody else used them in fast speech.

- When doing Skype exchanges with people from Quebec—especially with people from
outside the big cities—I sometimes have really frustrating conversations where I can
speak at B2 but only understand around A2. I'll be speaking relatively quickly, about
moderately complicated topics, and my exchange partner will be speaking very slowly,
and will sometimes resort to typing. At B2, I can't reliably compensate for unfamiliar
accents and major differences in grammar during a 30 minute conversation.

As you can see, both of these situations involve subtly different forms of French
(written vs spoken, Europe vs Quebec). Maybe this wouldn't happen as easily in a
language with one dialect and a completely phonetic orthography.

I think @emk has raised some interesting points that revolve around the same issue of decoding the spoken language. The first problem is of course making out exactly what has been said. Just the other day I couldn't figure out what Spanish word an actor was saying even after listening to the passage over 25 times. I repeated the passage phonetically to a native speaker and he told me what it was instantly.

The second problem is putting the word in context and grasping the whole meaning. This is a problem with idioms especially. And all of this has to be done in real time while the story is going on or you are having a conversation.

If you are dealing with an unfamiliar dialect, there is an added element of difficulty. We experience this in our own languages. I have to pay particular attention when I listen to certain varieties of English or French because I'm not used to them. But this is a side issue.

My observation is that you don't have to know exactly every word to be able to follow a movie or television program. The more you know of course the more enjoyable the experience. What is great is to be able to see certain passages a number of times to be able to really get all the details.

But what I'm trying to grasp here is how someone can say, "I speak a language well but I can hardly understand the same language when I hear it." As has been pointed out earlier, how can you have a conversation in this situation?

The problem seems to be decoding the sounds. If you have not learned the sounds of the language, I can see the problem. Maybe that's what this is all about.

Now, I'm not trying to be stubborn here. What I'm trying to do is reconcile this debate with my daily observation of people struggling to speak. I've never met anyone who has said to me, "It's easier to speak French than to understand it."
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 36 of 186
21 September 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Just last night I was discussing this very issue with a French-speaking friend of mine who was claiming that she spoke English better than she could understand it. She learned English in an academic environment and is very comfortable talking about academic or serious topics. But she admitted that she could not have a conversation with young people sitting around a table because she never learned that kind of English. She then claimed that she spoke "better" English because it was good English not the ordinary low-level conversational English.

Interestingly, conversational language is actually the most challenging form of language to learn because it is so different from textbook language. I can see how some people feel that they speak better than they can understand although they couldn't have a conversation to save their life.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6095 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 37 of 186
21 September 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Since the difference between 4 and 8 syllables per second isn't always obvious, and native speakers could certainly speak at either speed without sounding odd, this may make people feel like the speak better than they understand.

In addition to speaking quicker, a native speaker will subconciously drop phonemes and be completely unaware he's doing it. A native listener will fail to spot the missing sounds but a learner won't. When the native speaker slows his speech the phonemes will return. He may believe he's saying the same thing, but he's not. This issue posed a lot of problems in the early days of text to speech systems.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 186
21 September 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Now, I'm not trying to be stubborn here. What I'm trying to do is reconcile this debate with my daily observation of people struggling to speak. I've never met anyone who has said to me, "It's easier to speak French than to understand it."
You haven't met that many learners who enjoy grammar and even explicit vocab study, have you?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 39 of 186
21 September 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
It was easier for me to speak French than to understand it in movies for a long long
time. I lived with French people and spoke to them, but I simply wasn't accustomed to the
way people speak French in movies. It's just a different register of language and vocab.

What's so hard to understand about that?

I also echo Serpent's sentiment that you can manage a lot if you can use what you know
accurately. Almost two months ago I spoke Swedish for the first time and I had maybe
studied 200-300 words at the time. I was crap. But I still managed to keep going for 10
minutes or so before I had to switch to something else (French in this case).
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5325 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 40 of 186
21 September 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It was easier for me to speak French than to understand it in movies for a long long
time. I lived with French people and spoke to them, but I simply wasn't accustomed to the
way people speak French in movies. It's just a different register of language and vocab.

Movies are the hardest thing to understand in any language -- there is no way you can speak better than people in movies, and not understand movies.

This discussion contains 186 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version