bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5325 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 49 of 186
21 September 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's often easier to get your point across than to understand a movie or even an ordinary native speaker.

Ok, but these skills are NOT AT ALL equivalent. It's easier to understand someone trying to get their point across than to get your point across yourself. Understand X is still easier than producing X.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5710 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 50 of 186
21 September 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's often easier to get your point across than to understand a movie or even an ordinary native speaker.

Yes. I just would never equate getting my point across with being able to express myself well. Native speakers talking to you might use some kind of foreignese (and maybe a good one at that), but movies don't do that. Either you get it from listening only, or you don't. If you don't, it's because your listening comprehension is too low (and that might have a number of reasons.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 186
21 September 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
So what your saying is that it's easier to produce a perfect sentence than to understand every word of a movie?
This can be true though, if your passive vocab isn't much larger than your active one. And if you like learning grammar. That's why I disagree that this problem is limited to beginners who've learned to parrot some phrases but can't understand anything.

As for not equivalent, why should it be equivalent? A lack of balance is natural. You SHOULD be able to understand more than you can say. You're in trouble if you can't understand anything more complicated than what you're able to produce.

A few examples where understanding is more difficult than production:
-homonyms or homophones: easy to produce, can be difficult to process
-words with multiple meanings: easy to produce (ironically, this will especially be easy if you actually drill them native-target AND still think in your native language and translate), harder to identify the meaning on the go
-the functions of cases and prepositions: if you've drilled them, they can also be easier to produce, compared to the difficulty of figuring out the meaning
-yes, it's easy to listen to a struggling non-native...if his L1 is the same as yours! if not, being able to understand clumsy speech easier than proper speech is not a good sign.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 52 of 186
21 September 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Yes. I just would never equate getting my point across with being able to express myself well.
Getting your point across is the criterion for basic fluency here...

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 186
21 September 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Last time we did a poll, I think the consensus was that HTLAL "basic fluency" was about
B2 for most learners. This would require "getting your point across" reasonably
quickly, on a wide range of common topics, without too much stress for either party,
and without consistently making the same mistakes in every other sentence. Eloquence
and a precise vocabulary are strictly optional. :-)

I agree that it's possible to do all of the above and not reliably understand movies,
or full-speed conversations in a group of native speakers. So yeah, if you look at it
right, you can be pretty functional as a speaker but still believe that your listening
skills are horribly weak.

In absolute terms, sure, you actually listen better than you speak. But listening may
still be your biggest problem.

Edited by emk on 21 September 2012 at 7:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 54 of 186
21 September 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

A few examples where understanding is more difficult than production:
-homonyms or homophones: easy to produce, can be difficult to process
-words with multiple meanings: easy to produce (ironically, this will especially be easy if you actually drill them native-target AND still think in your native language and translate), harder to identify the meaning on the go
-the functions of cases and prepositions: if you've drilled them, they can also be easier to produce, compared to the difficulty of figuring out the meaning
-yes, it's easy to listen to a struggling non-native...if his L1 is the same as yours! if not, being able to understand clumsy speech easier than proper speech is not a good sign.

I totally disagree with this idea that these things are more difficult to understand than to produce. It is the very opposite. The reason understanding is easier is that it is essentially a passive activity. You are given the words in context. You can derive the meaning. Homonyms and homophones are rarely a problem because you have the context. The same thing with words that have many meanings. They are used in context. Idioms are more difficult of course but you also have the general context.

Now producing speech remotely close to native-like is much more difficult because it is an active process that must be done instantly. Figuring out meaning, especially in context, social and linguistic, is much easier than creating meaning in context.

Speaking requires a very complex process of choosing the right words, putting them in the right form, in the right order and then articulating them. Now it's your turn to create context. Words with multiple meanings are among the most tricky not the easiest.  English verbs like "go, get, let, give, run, see, say" are amongst the most challenging to use correctly because the difficulty is how to distinguish the many meanings. And then you have the world of idioms and collocations.

Many things can go wrong. And that is why we always sound like a foreigner most of the time. And this is why is takes such a long time to get it right.

You have to be able to understand--at least yourself-- in order to speak. You don't have to be able to speak in order to understand.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5374 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 55 of 186
21 September 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Serpent wrote:

Last time we did a poll, I think the consensus was that HTLAL "basic fluency" was about
B2 for most learners. This would require "getting your point across" reasonably
quickly, on a wide range of common topics, without too much stress for either party,
and without consistently making the same mistakes in every other sentence. Eloquence
and a precise vocabulary are strictly optional. :-)

I agree that it's possible to do all of the above and not reliably understand movies,
or full-speed conversations in a group of native speakers. So yeah, if you look at it
right, you can be pretty functional as a speaker but still believe that your listening
skills are horribly weak.

In absolute terms, sure, you actually listen better than you speak. But listening may
still be your biggest problem.

I'm not sure if listening or oral comprehension is ever the biggest problem. I'm of the opinion that speaking is always the biggest challenge. But to come back to this issue of basic fluency at B2, the question isn't whether you can not understand a C2 or native conversation.

The fundamental question is whether your oral comprehension skills are at B1 or A2 instead of B2 like your speaking skill. This is my understanding of speaking better than one can understand.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 186
21 September 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The fundamental question is whether your oral comprehension skills are
at B1 or A2 instead of B2 like your speaking skill. This is my understanding of
speaking better than one can understand.

Well, doesn't this just boil down to the question of whether you can comfortably pass
the oral production section of a B2 exam and still somehow flunk the listening section?

The answer to this question is certainly yes. My DELF B2 oral presentation was tons of
fun for everybody, and the examiners were actually giggling by the end of our
conversation. In 20 minutes, I only had to ask for one question to be repeated.

In contrast, one of the two listening comprehension sections was hideously
difficult. I maybe had 40% comprehension, and bluffed my way to a fairly high score by
picking out keywords. (The other listening comprehension section was easy.)

How did this happen? Well, I spoke French at home, and spent 3 hours a week debating
French public policy with a tutor. But I had no real strategy for listening
comprehension. In fact, my plan was to use speaking, reading and writing to rack up the
bulk of my points.

Does this mean that my speaking was actually better than my listening? Not really. But
relative to the typical B2 student, I was certainly a strong speaker and a weak
listener.

(Today, my listening skills are stronger, but my speaking skills are stagnant, because
I don't spend enough time having abstract conversations in French. I'm still fine in
social conversation, but I'd want a few days of practice before doing another B2 oral
presentation on single-sex schools or teenage rebellion or whatnot.)

This discussion contains 186 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version