Diglot
United States
Joined 4317 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 33 of 57
17 December 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I think that most here are probably defining talent as "natural talent." My wife has an incredible ability
to remember song lyrics after just a couple of listens. Road trips are incredible for me as she just sings
along to 95% of the songs on the radio. She can do this in Spanish too.

I on the other hand can't remember song lyrics at all. As an example she started singing ‘Maria Maria’
by Sentana and I continued with the lyrics “it involves a Spanish heartthrob” instead “growing up in
Spanish Harlem.” But I'm fairly good at math(s) (or at least I used to be). She is terrible and is the first to
admit that. Numbers over 50 scare her.

People often use the term ‘naturally gifted’ to explain our different talents. But, when you look deeper, I
remember my dad always talking about numbers when I was as young as 3/4. He had a business and
would show me his finances and talk me through them. I had no idea what was going on but was
enchanted by the bookkeeping system he had.

My wife on the other hand had a family who loved books and whenever she didn't know a word she was
told to go look it up. Her grandfather wrote a lot of poetry and she obviously caught the words bug
growing up in that environment.

I think that it is important for children to fall in love with or at least get something if they want to have
this ‘natural’ ability for a certain skill. This is especially true for sports. But with the 10,000 hour theory
(and the Dan Plan which emk pointed out) I'm pretty certain that this is down to the love of something
and the constant exposure.

My wife fell in love with words and was exposed to them throughout her childhood. I fell in love with
numbers and was exposed to them throughout my children. Could I become ‘naturally’ gifted when it
comes to words in adulthood? I'm pretty certain that I could if I had the motivation and the exposure
(and obviously the time).

Could someone who has never been good at languages become a polyglot in adulthood? Of course they
can as long as they love what they're doing and get the exposure needed.

Being talented at something can be learned. Those who had the right circumstances in their early life
will have the advantage but it doesn't mean that someone who doesn't seem ‘naturally’ talent can't learn
the talent later in life.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5615 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 57
17 December 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:

He then went on to tell me that he "couldn't do languages", that they didn't make sense to him. Now, I've heard this claim many times from British people, many of whom are highly qualified in maths, science or computing disciplines. So here we have highly-intelligent people who can extrapolate complex formulae to the nth degree or program computers to perform all manner of tasks, yet they actively send out the message that they are incapable of learning a foreign language.

A few years ago, I would have described myself as exactly like this fellow. I have a PhD in Theoretical Computer Science, was a post-doctoral research fellow addressing lots of mathematics and thorny computer science problems, worked on mission critical systems for the international space station, stealth submarines, and other complex uber-geeky projects, and ran my own software company which I sold about five years ago before retiring in my early 40s.

Despite these achievements, I was absolutely useless at learning languages. Pretty much most things I tried worked out well, but languages always defeated me. I felt that my brain just wasn't wired that way. This always bugged me, so after retiring, I turned my mind over to finally getting a grasp of the one thing that had always defeated me. In other words, I tried to figure out if a language dunce such as myself could ever become half decent at learning languages.

To be honest, for the first few months I was close to tears at how nothing stuck. I studied incredible hard, but made hardly any progress. Then, very gradually, things did start to change in my brain, and things did slowly start to sink in until I began to become less useless at languages. Nowadays, I would say that I am probably average, whereas before I was hopeless.

So, what made the difference?

One important thing was a shift in my understanding of what it means to learn something. Mathematics and computer science are based on "aha!" moments - where you are looking at some complicated problems very deeply and have flashes of insight. Your mind is racing very quickly trying to analyse difficult problems and see solutions. Once you have cracked a problem you can see the answer right there in front of you.

I would, at first, study languages as if they were problems to be solved. I would look for the logic in a language, often to be frustrated that languages are full of exceptions rather than nice, tidy, rules. I would wait for "aha!" moments, only to find they were rare. I would focus with all my powers of concentration on very intense periods trying to cram the language into my head - only for it to slip away the next day. This was all very confusing, since these very techniques had helped me achieve great results in other fields.

Slowly, though, I learned to stop being so analytical in my studies, and stopped hoping for flashes of brilliance. Instead, I learned to accept that languages simply are not learned that way (other than for passing grammar tests). For the most part, I learned that my brain will learn the language on its own - in the background - so long as I concentrate on feeding it regularly and repeatedly with nurturing material.

It is an entirely different way of learning than I had been used to, and it was only after many months of failure and frustration that results started to appear almost as if my magic. These results really helped me to relax, and give up to need to be an intense mad-scientist frying my brain on hard study, and instead trust my brain to do the work itself in a more relaxed manner.

It is a very hard lesson to learn, and I think it is a lesson you need to learn for yourself to truly accept it. Every now and then I still find myself wondering if I am being "lazy" by not using my concentrated efforts in the same way as with mathematics. I still have to keep reminding me that putting the hours in, even if they seem "easy" and don't seem to be delivering immediate results, is actually the best way to make progress.

Overall, though, I have learned that, yes, my brain was not wired for learning languages, but that it could be rewired. Maybe I will never have the admirable achievements of the great polyglots on here and on youtube, but even my own modest language accomplishments are more than I ever imagined I could have achieved, and they are good enough for my own needs and goals. SO, I am happy.

Edited by Splog on 17 December 2012 at 5:38pm

13 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 35 of 57
21 December 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
English is used widely in international IT circles and computer geeks across Europe have to use the language professionally and they seem to cope. Yet the British computer nerd is provided with a ready-made rebuttal...hey, I'm a maths/computing type guy and languages never made any sense to me.

Interestingly, despite the almost non-existence of a language-learning culture in the UK, I hardly ever encounter a negative reaction to my interest in languages. I have heard countless people say they wish they could speak another language or that they should have paid more attention in school. But talk is cheap, and when people get a sniff of the effort required, they back off.

Then again, I've been promising myself for 25 years that I'm going to learn how to play guitar.....one day.

Edited by beano on 21 December 2012 at 12:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5511 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 36 of 57
21 December 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I find it ironic that, as beano puts it 'despite the almost non-existence of a language-
learning culture in the UK', most bookshops sell a fairly good range of language
learning material and many of the English base language learning methods (TY,
Colloquial, Linguaphone, Michel Thomas, Paul Noble) originate with British publishers.
They must be selling those courses to someone - do we actually underestimate the number
of people in the UK who do some language learning, or do those books sit gathering dust
in peoples' homes?

As to the guitar - I have been playing it for 25 years - its worse than learning German,
believe me...

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4878 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 37 of 57
21 December 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I find it ironic that, as beano puts it 'despite the almost non-existence of a language-
learning culture in the UK', most bookshops sell a fairly good range of language
learning material and many of the English base language learning methods (TY,
Colloquial, Linguaphone, Michel Thomas, Paul Noble) originate with British publishers. They must be selling those courses to someone - do we actually underestimate the number of people in the UK who do some language learning, or do those books sit gathering dust in peoples' homes?

English-speaking world frames a bountiful market of linting bookshelves. English is also Lingua Franca, the global language of science and knowledge. I was raised speaking Finnish and learned English at school, but lately I have studied other languages using English material.

Edited by petteri on 21 December 2012 at 1:18pm

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 38 of 57
25 December 2012 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am a little torn on this. Some people have an interest and a talent for Math, some for running, some for languages. I could not become a Math professor or an athlete if I were payed a million dollar.

Well, it's pretty hard to become a professor in any subject. At least in the US, there's a lot of competition. But I'm sure you could learn quite a bit of math, if you were interested and you worked as hard at it as you do at languages. Even if you found it hard to learn math in school, that's like saying it's hard to learn French from Rosetta Stone. :-)

The tricky thing about math is that the advanced ideas build on the basic ideas, and you need to know those basic ideas cold. It's not enough to just read about integrals, for example, any more than it's enough to read about the subjunctive in a grammar book. You have to practice it, play with it, and work at it until it becomes a part of you. It's the same in math—when something in math makes no sense, you sometimes need to go back down two layers and build up slowly, practicing as you go.

Do you really think that's true? That if you sucked at math in school you could still become truly good at it?

I've never heard of anyone learning a foreign language after only having studied it in high school and certainly not with RS, but most people seem to graduate with a far better grasp of mathmatics than I ever did.

Anyways, to get back to the topic...
While not everyone has a natural talent for instantly absorbing different languages just about every person on the planet has mastered at least one language so they really can't argue that they aren't "wired for it" they just don't want to put in the work. That's my two cents.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6385 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 39 of 57
25 December 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

Do you really think that's true? That if you sucked at math in school you could still become truly good at it?

I've never heard of anyone learning a foreign language after only having studied it in high school and certainly not with RS, but most people seem to graduate with a far better grasp of mathmatics than I ever did.

Yes, people can become good at subjects they did poorly in in school. For a math example, see "Thank you Khan Academy!" - it's by a guy who went back to school and did an engineering degree, after having done horribly in math as a student.

In Switzerland, it's extremely common for people to speak foreign languages they studied in high school, and some credit school almost entirely for their results.

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6439 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 40 of 57
25 December 2012 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Is Switzerland multilingual in every place, or not?

Here, in a monolingual place, learning is quite disconnected from the real use, and it all depends on a teacher, if she can leand and bring interesting material to the students. A teacher who doesn't care just wants the students to do something and formally checks. The process deteriorates to mere memorizing. I remember we learned short stories news reports by heart to retell them. To my luck there were more interesting teachers.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version