forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 49 of 57
27 December 2012 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Just think how well many ordinary adults who "can't do languages" would do if they started working the way Dan does for even 1,000 hours.
Great story. Given that the Cambridge fellas claim 1,200 hours of instruction will take you to C2 level (I'd believe that from these guys just this once, and they work with loads of average Joes, not super-students), well, just do the math ;)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I still think the main elements in "talent" are motivation and a feeling of mastering the subject. That is what gives you the extra urge to work on.
[...]
Perhaps all we should do is give people enough self confidence, and they'll learn just about anything?
I'm afraid not in all cases. I met an unfortunate case of "self-confidence and a feeling of mastering the subject" killing off any chances to make progress.

I had this student (a Law lecturer at the local university) who just thought she was 'good at languages'. I am yet to find what she meant by this, but I can assure you she did -way- worse than any other student in that class in every conceivable way.

I started with this mixed-levels group that was finally split so the lower level students weren't a burden for the higher level. She was a burden to the lower level. There were a number of reasons for that, but if I had to put my finger on something, I'd say it was mainly that she never ever seemed to listen to me, to do any exercises, to review anything when asked to. Why? Because she didn't need to, she was 'just good at it'.

The funny thing is, she seemed impervious to how everyone else did better. So, no, I definitely think there are some people who don't need us to give them self-confidence; they have all they could need for two lifetimes, and it's not doing them any good.

I have to wonder if their being awarded some marks at the end of the course would have made any difference...

Edited by mrwarper on 27 December 2012 at 2:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6071 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 50 of 57
27 December 2012 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I used to commute to Japanese class with a guy who had majored in Japanese in college having inherited some money.   At the school I go to, basically we pick up a lot of people continuing to study after they graduate college or after they come back from Jet or something similar. What this person told me was that their instructor at college said that for some people, they start out sort of lost and then after 4 years of studying they will still be kind of lost. And he should think long and hard about taking Japanese as a major. After graduating, he had spent time in Japan and really was quite a bit more fluent and conversational than me, and much better listening comprehension, but he had a hell of a time with Kanji, and had a lot of trouble with the JLPT-style type questions. He had just taken the JLPT 2 and had gotten a very low score, way below 50% and had failed the class's entrance test which was based on the old JLPT 3.   He stuck around for a few quarters, but while driving over confessed that his mother was bugging about getting a job, and he was looking to get rehired at a retail job he had before going to college. Eventually the guy missed a few classes and floated away. I never saw him again. He was trying to get into Jet -- maybe he got in, I'm not sure.

My thinking on this is that yes, everyone can improve from where they are with hard work, but if you're planning out your life, you can't necessarily count on getting good enough to do this for a living. Maybe US colleges are not the best place to study language -- I'm just saying.

Edited by cathrynm on 27 December 2012 at 5:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 51 of 57
31 December 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
It's common to hear an English speaker say "I did language X at school for Y years but left without being able
to say a sentence"

In most cases, this statement won't actually be true. If pushed, I'm sure most people could come out with
something. But there lies the problem, your average native English speaker is rarely, if ever, placed in the
position where they have to make use of another language in spoken or written form.

I've always believed that if you can learn a little of a language, you can easily learn more.
4 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4390 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 52 of 57
03 January 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Part of studying a language is having the right approach. We are born into a family and
in the first few years of our lives learn to speak fluent our mother-tongue. We in the
English speaking world might say Japanese is a hard language. There are Japanese on the
other side who would say the same thing about learning English. If you happen to be
Japanese from Japan you get exposed to the language every day from day 1.

My father originally from the Cantonese-speaking parts of China. During the way
relocated inland during the War and learned to speak fluent Mandarin. His brother in
the same situation is only fluent in Cantonese. I know somebody who came from China and
lived in Hong Kong for many of years. He picked up enough Cantonese to know what other
Cantonese-speakers are saying but has trouble with the pronunciation that he would
reply in English most of the time.

A lot of times you'd find a Chinese who is Cantonese-speaking sitting next to a
Mandarin-speaking in a social setting. They would switch to English talking to each
other. If one of them is fluent in English, they would not say a word to each other
unless it is absolutely necessary. Between Cantonese & Mandarin the 2 groups of people
are next-door neighbors, yet there are many who cannot communicate effectively to each
other.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4417 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 53 of 57
03 January 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
It's common to hear an English speaker say "I did language X at school for Y years but left without being able to say a sentence"

The other way these sentences can be misleading is that people usually do not realize how little time they have spent with the language on each of these years. For instance, I could say that "I did German at school for 5 years but left without being able to say a sentence". While strictly speaking, it is true that I "did 5 years of German", if I were to really do the math, a more accurate way to say this would be "I have done around 365 hours of German spread unevenly on 5 years".

2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 54 of 57
04 January 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
beano wrote:
It's common to hear an English speaker say "I did language X at school
for Y years but left without being able to say a sentence"

The other way these sentences can be misleading is that people usually do not realize how little time they
have spent with the language on each of these years. For instance, I could say that "I did German at school
for 5 years but left without being able to say a sentence". While strictly speaking, it is true that I "did 5 years
of German", if I were to really do the math, a more accurate way to say this would be "I have done around
365 hours of German spread unevenly on 5 years".

And you probably had zero exposure to German outside the classroom, whereas German kids get a lot of
reinforcement through hearing English pop music.

How does it work in Canada with French having an official presence? Do most people have at least some
passive knowledge of the language or can you get away with saying you were somehow "unable" to learn
French?

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4417 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 55 of 57
04 January 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:

And you probably had zero exposure to German outside the classroom, whereas German kids get a lot of reinforcement through hearing English pop music.

I never has any real intention of speaking German anyway. When I was 10, good students were supposed to take German as a 1st language and I had to put a lot of energy to convince my parents and teachers to let me do English, then when I was 11, good students were supposed to take elective latin but I refused that too. When I was 12, good students were supposed to learn German and maybe I had used up my "free choice cards" or maybe I was tired of arguing but I somehow ended up doing German. I only sat through the class, the teachers did not ensure we did any homework and I certainly did not get any extra exposure by myself. As you can expect, my level was pretty pathetic at the end of high school.

I suspect it is the case of lots of people who like to claim that they "have done X years of Y language and can not utter a sentence now". In reality, they mean that they had a few hundreds hours of class and homework unevenly spread through X years, not voluntarily in a lot of case, and did not put a lot (if any) of efforts in learning the language beside that. The result of not being able to speak the language is not that surprising then.

beano wrote:

How does it work in Canada with French having an official presence? Do most people have at least some
passive knowledge of the language or can you get away with saying you were somehow "unable" to learn
French?

I did not grow up in Canada and only attended university there so take everything that follows with a grain of salt but from what I gather, most provinces are mostly monolinguals - though, at least in theory or in larger towns, you can get service in French in public administration if you ask - and most people do not have any knowledge of the language despite having had French classes during their youth. Claiming to be "not wired for languages" and/or blaming school system for being monolingual seems as common as it is in other countries.

For those who do speak French however, I think this brings more job opportunities than it would in the UK or in the USA for instance so maybe speaking French (or giving your child the ability to speak French) is more valued than in other English-speaking countries. The fact that Canada is officially bilingual also probably makes it easier to get opportunities to speak French for those who do want to learn it.

Edited by Tsopivo on 04 January 2013 at 5:56pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 57
04 January 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, from s_allard's posts it seems like most people do understand a lot of French (or English).

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version