Joined 4386 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Catalan

Message 17 of 20
15 January 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Hmph..
I have been sick. And in addition, my work place is really starting to be a nightmare. I feel I have to fight in order to get the work done in legal way. Saving, saving, saving everywhere, but the lack of quality is absolutely amazing also.

If someone happens to know open position for Accountant in BCN, please let me know ;) I don't believe I'm too demanding, but I refuse to break law or GAAP in my work.

Second review for Catalan should be tomorrow. It is basically going surprisingly well, but of course I have not been able to really adopt all the grammar introduced so far. Harry Potter is really fun to listen, I am in cd 3 and I have the feeling that I hear the words better and can define the pronunciation and word split.

Yesterday I went to library and promised to the library lady that I will learn Catalan also. (She is Catalan speaker and said that all the best books in our library are in Catalan :D) I borrowed the last Jordi Sierra i Fabra I could find in Spanish and then "Los mejores relatos de Roald Dahl". Assimil Spanish is going on, but I have no idea if I am learning anything or not. Maybe the time I spend with Assimil Spanish would be more useful to spend with books or radio or television or self talking or something..? But I will continue with it at least for some time. It might be that it is just too early to see the progress.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ninska
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4386 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes

Message 18 of 20
23 January 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Been lazy lately. Well, my mum was visiting us and I wanted to spend some time with her also. So I decided to have a short break with Spanish and keep up with Assimil Catalan during the visit.

Spanish
Assimil lesson 16 this morning was about Miguel Cervantes. I understood very well and again, I have no idea if I am learning anything or not. I am still reading Las Furias, so no development there neither. Anyway, I have been talking a bit Spanish lately. I booked my son a place in guardería, so needed to visit ayuntamiento and couple of guarderías to choose the place. Then I called to one customer service after receiving a very weird invoice of 100€. They said it was mistake and it is paid already, so I suppose I can wait problems later.. ;) Tomorrow we will have a test in Spanish class. I do not know if I have learned anything since the beginning of the course, I just feel myself very stupid. But it is nice to have a test anyway.

Catalan
Still listening HP in car. I had Fri and Mon holiday, so no commuting and no listening. But still, I feel enjoying more and more every time I listen it. Today I listened some 5 minutes extra in garage after getting home, because there was so exciting part going on :)
Tomorrow will be already 3rd revision lession in Assimil. I don't think I remember anything about the grammar taught so far and I am really looking forward to active wave, because I believe that the grammar will stick in better and make more sense then. And I would love to be able to produce at least some very simple sentences. (Oh yeah, I answered one email today at work: "Moltes gràcies!".)

ninska
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4386 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes

Message 19 of 20
07 February 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Lack of motivation is horrible :/

I have the feeling that I should just pack my my life in car (once again) and drive back to Ireland, because I cannot stand my workplace. And because I have seariously started to plan moving back in May/June, it feels also stupid to try to learn something I am too stupid to learn. I feel I should have been fluent (or well, at least somehow conversable) in Spanish looooong time ago, but instead I am still struggling in beginner-level.

I have still been listening HP, I suppose it will end tomorrow morning. I do not know, if I should listen something else next or start HP again from the beginning. With Assimil, I am in lesson 31. I think I understand a bit better, but I still have to concentrate way too much to pronunciation.

1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 20 of 20
10 February 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Great log. Don't get discouraged. I feel the same way often times... I study Spanish every day and so often I get frustrated that I am not further along than I am. I also have many family obligations and a job that is, well, at times a pain. I try to find 20+ minutes every morning to spend with Spanish and I have found it is now actually a great way to just relax and have time for myself. It seems like you are making good progress. Keep it up and most of all... have fun. You are in a gres situation to be in a country where the language is spoken. I am jealous of that. If you ever have any questions with Spanish feel free to ask... I have done most of the self-study courses now.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version