United States
Joined 7054 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 81 of 86
30 November 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Let the look back begin !!!

Still time to make some more progress, but the way to get there is to remember where we were going ...

To quote Little Einstein's.... "Blast Off!"

luke wrote:
For 2013:

French Get French Without Toil, Using French, and New French with Ease solidly under my
belt. Get very comfortable with L'Etranger, Le Petit Prince, and Les Liaisons Dangerouse and perhaps a
couple more books. I'm sure there will be some more variance here. Perhaps get comfortable with Jules
Verne's Le Tour du Monde en 80 jours et Voyage au Centre de la Terre.

I've done well with the 3 Assimil courses as well as the book by Camus and Le Petit Prince. I started Les
Liasons Dangerouse, but didn't get very far. I have read "a couple more books". There was an Introduction
to Metaphysics by Henri Bergson and The Apology by Plato. Jules Verne got almost nothng, although I did
read a chapter one day. That's a 6.5 hour novel, so I could still do it. Journey to the Center of the Earth
is a bit humorous, so this wouldn't be painful.   I've just shifted more towards "Great Books", and Jules Verne
doesn't make the short list. I read and listened to On Liberty by John Stuart Mill and the first chapter of his
Autobiography as well as some of The Subjugation of Women in French.

luke wrote:
Spanish Get through the FSI replacement, variation, translation, and response drills.
Listen/Read Don Quixote and be able to understand the majority of it with ease.

A bit too much of a stretch. I did review the FSI replacement and variation drills from Basic Spanish. I'm
currently about 1/4 of the way through Don Quixote, but "with ease" is not the case. I've moved the review of
translation and repoonse drills to 2014.

luke wrote:
Esperanto Get Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo, Jen Nia Mondo, Teach Yourself Esperanto
under my belt. Read the book, Pasxoj al Plena Posedo through at least once. Be happy listening to
Esperanto podcasts.

I have good comprehension of Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo and Jen Nia Mondo down pretty well. Teach
Yourself - I got about 1/2 way through it. Pasxoj - I read about 5 of the 30 chapters, several more than once.
I went to the North American Congress this year and that was fun. I am listening to Esperanto podcasts. The
"fun" part meant, pretty much with ease and fascination. I fall short on that one, but am continuing to listen
to podcasts.

luke wrote:
English Finish the current trip the Federalist Papers and On Liberty by John Stuart
Mill. Something else here too, but not sure what yet.

I put this goal out of the park (pretty much). I read and listened to those two books as well as Mill's
Autobiography, which is interesting and honest. I've also read The Apology and Crito by Plato. I read
Descent of Man by Charles Darwin, which was interesting and fun to support with images.google.com. I'm 1/2
way through The Brothers Karamazov. I've read more than this, but  English is my native language, so
probably shouldn't hurt myself patting myself on the back too hard. I look up unfamiliar words. With English,
it's not so much my vocabulary that improves, although that has been helped, but forming complex thoughts
and getting an appreciation for carefully developed ideas has been the biggest boon on this path.

I have to give Professor Arguelles the credit for my newer approach to language learning and personal
development. Of course, everyone here in this community makes this all feel not like a solitary journey.

Edited by luke on 01 December 2013 at 12:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4538 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 82 of 86
30 November 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
Maintain my C1 French

Check. Didn't really do much with French but as fa as I can tell, I've still got it.

BaronBill wrote:
Maintain my B2 German (maybe even improve it some)

Check! I've done a ton of extensive reading and listening as well as 2 Monthly Meetups.

BaronBill wrote:
Bring my Spanish to B2 (conversational fluency).

Still up for debate. Been working hard on Spanish the last quarter of the year. Guessing at B1 come 1/1/14.

BaronBill wrote:
Find an additional language to start and work up to a spoken A1/A2 (Looking at Swahili, Dari, and Japanese)

Fail. Started on (and stopped) Cantonese. Got to about an A1 but lost interest.

Hoping next years results are a bit better!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5015 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 83 of 86
01 December 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Is this usually done at current year's thread? I ask this because I just quoted myself from here and posted
what I have achieved or not right before posting my goals at the 2014 thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7054 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 84 of 86
01 December 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Is this usually done at current year's thread? I ask this because I just quoted myself
from here and posted what I have achieved or not right before posting my goals at the 2014 thread.

If you look in the Fixed Link thread in jeff_lindqvist's post below, you can see where we began doing an end
of year recap in the thread that started with goals.

Someone did make the insightful and humorous comment that most people are too considerate to ask others
how they did on their New Year's resolutions.

Edited by luke on 01 December 2013 at 4:38pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 85 of 86
01 December 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Fixed link

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4337 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 86 of 86
01 December 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Duke100782 wrote:
As a background, I've been in Chongqing, China since last summer. I've been
dabbling in Chinese prior to
my assignment to China, but it's only when I got to China that I started studying more.

I aim to be conversant in Mandarin Chinese by the end of 2013. By conversant, this means I should be able
approach a stranger during a cocktail party and talk to him or her without resorting to English. I'll achieve
this by studying everyday and speaking with native speakers.

Happy New Year HTLAL!

A month is left before 2013 comes to an end. After a year, I realized that there is a lot more to being
conversant than what I originally thought. Well, I have reached my goal more or less. I can approach
someone in a cocktail party, ask his or her name, answer some of his questions and ask him or her some
back. And hey, I've still got a month to go and I'm learning fast.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version