United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4902 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 26 of 86
23 December 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
My language plans for the year 2013 are going to be preparation for a future goal I have in mind, to get a doctorates.
Currently I am in the progress of getting my BA in Linguistics --I plan to finish in Fall 2013-- but I have plans to
enter a PhD program in either Linguistics or Slavic linguistics. The latter requires that I am proficient in one Slavic
language--for this I will be focusing on Russian, a good handle in another Slavic language--for this I am going to
focus on Polish, and lastly have reading knowledge in German and French.

Now I have been studying all of these languages on and off for the last 4 years, but have never achieved proficiency in
any of them. German was the closest.

In order of strongest to weakest my skills are as follow: German, French, Russian, and Polish.
In order of importance for my future goal: Russian, Polish, German, and French.

I plan to enter the PhD program by Fall 2014 or 2015, so I really have to dedicate time in becoming useful in those
languages--Russian being the most important. I plan to study three languages in 2013 (Russian, Polish, and German).
Would you guys think that it is possible to have a very good handle of these languages by Summer 2014? I would rate
my German level in the B1-low B2 range, Russian before B2 now high A2, Polish A1.

How many hours of studying (approximately) would one need to spend to get from A2 to C1?
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4788 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 27 of 86
23 December 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
My goals are simple, but challenging:

Goal 1: French/German/Portuguese C1+ level in all three

"Vicinity" of C2 written (which honestly, is not difficult with French being a Spanish native, and kind of a laugh with Portuguese... and my German is getting to the point the language reads naturally and my vocabulary and intuition is reached a point I can guess compound words at ease). So this goal is with hard work and continued exposure, doable.

"Vicinity" of C1 in speaking (this maybe a challenge in three languages at the same time, where I am at solid B1 or entry level B2). However, I purposely did not focus on speaking at all during the first year and a half of my language learning, and 2013 is the year of SPEAKING SPEAKING SPEAKING. I know the general grammar inside out in all three languages, my vocabulary is improving rapidly, and my slang/idioms are improving. My pronounciation is I believe more than adequate because I have worked a lot on it.

I wanted it to be this way... in my personal study philosophy (studying without being in the countries where the language is spoken), when it's time to speak I want to focus on speaking, not on the grammar, pronounciation, vocabulary, and set phrases. Makes the load of the brain a lot less when you are comfortable with all those. I am getting to that point, and I believe it will allow me to relax and just speak. We'll see if this strategy two years in the making pays off.

Goal 2: MANDARIN, MANDARIN, MANDARIN.

In 2011 I said I would start intensive with Mandarin in mid-2012, plus Swedish and Italian on the side. WRONG (as anyone here might have expected, things never pan out timewise)... But 2013 IS the year.

So MANDARIN here I come.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5879 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 28 of 86
23 December 2012 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Classical Greek: Finish JACT Reading Greek course
Classical Latin: Pass exam in June
Spanish: Read three books
Russian: Read one book
Mandarin: Improve my speaking and listening skills
Sanskrit: Continue with Walter Harding Maurer's The Sanskrit Language.
Old English: Continue with The Cambridge Old English Reader

If I have time over the Summer I'll start Du's Handbook of Classical Chinese.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5721 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 29 of 86
23 December 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Goals

Korean: I have, in the past years, jumped from one language to another. This year, my goal, unless something major comes up, is to focus on Korean for all of 2013. My hit list of resources include Yonsei, Songang, all TTMIK levels and Korean Grammar In Use. I am currently on Yonsei 1, Sogang 1A, TTMIK level 3 and section 3 of Korean Grammar In Use Beginner.

I may also try to take the beginner level of TOPIK.

Chinese: Slowly work through ChinesePod.com Newbie lessons. I hope to be able to tackle ChinesePod Elementary level lessons by the end of the year.

Japanese: Slowly work through JapanesePod101.com Beginner lessons. I have already gone through the Newbie lessons a few times.

German: While I have decided to spend my time on Asian languages, I have put a considerable amount of time into German and don't want to lose it, so my goal is to review all I have done in the past regularly so I can maintain it.

Other Asian languages: Dabble in a few here and there. Right now I am learning the Bengali writing system and want to learn the writing systems for Hindi and Thai as well.

crmaximo
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4285 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 30 of 86
24 December 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Goals,
French: Goal 1! Complete the assimil French courses and try reaching B1
English: At any cost, get C1 in passive and active
Spanish: Not an ambitious one. B2 in Spanish, what I think it will be very easy, as my native language is Portuguese.
Japanese: A2. As I have studied Japanese ten years later, I think that I can remember a lot of things and try to get a short way to A2. If I were studying Japanese for the first time, the task would be a lot more difficult.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5964 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 31 of 86
25 December 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Japanese: Pass the N2 (that is assuming I failed the N2 in 2012, if I passed, then I'll take the N1) Improve on listening comprehension. Get out of the house more and force myself to talk to people.
Finnish: Be consistent. Do something every single day with Finnish, no matter what, no exceptions. (Passive exposure is allowed, but no days of doing nothing in Finnish.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6436 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 86
25 December 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
my main goal is just to complete the super challenge and the assimil challenge. should more or less take me where i want to be (for now) in the respective languages.

new languages: Swedish (assimil and then we'll see), hopefully also something Finno-Ugric like Mari and/or Karelian.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version