Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 265 of 344
24 October 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Colombian Spanish is generally regarded as having a really clear accent, the same with Peru (though there is a rich variety of slang and Quechua loanwords).

If you'd like to watch something with your daughter, i watched the Nickelodeon cartoon series "Avatar" in Spanish. Each episode is about 20 minutes, the Spanish dub is really great and clearly spoken. Altogether there are around 60 episodes, and just recently they came out with a sequel. It was one of the first shows i watched, i bet at your current level you could understand quite a bit, probably most of it. I enjoyed it, but i'm not sure what you'd think of it.

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but she might also enjoy some of the old shows by Chesperito, like El Chapulín Colorado and El chavo del ocho.

Another show you could watch would be Pulseras rojas, i watched it in Catalan but the same actors who did the Catalan version did the Spanish dubs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3827 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 266 of 344
25 October 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I've just started my own language log but just reading through yours has helped boost my
motivation. Keep it up!
1 person has voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4196 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 267 of 344
26 October 2014 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
I'll have to check out Avatar. We saw pretty much the whole series in English. My boy is interested in learning Spanish too; this would be good for him to watch.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 268 of 344
31 October 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Ok since my new commitment to FSI, I have gone from only one unit per week to a grand total of 1.25 units
per week. I know, I know. My level of achievement knows no bounds. Luke, Crush and James (aka FSI
Warriors) will be so proud. 😳

However, I have been filling an honest two hours a day with listening to Spanish audio while following along
in either Spanish and sometimes English text. The following along in English is harder than you would think.

If I ever found myself alone for a weekend, I would try a couple of 10-12 hour days of L-R. I don't know if it
would be measurable as far as my progress but I don't think it could be harmful in any way.

The nightly news is still traveling very quickly but I am liking it. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad people in
the world.

Question concerning a sentence I encountered. Can you think of why one would say " Vamos a separamos,
por favor." Vs. "Vamos a separar" or "separarnos". It was easily understood but would never be produced by
me. Any thoughts or clarification would be enjoyed.

Hope all is well,

BOLIO

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 269 of 344
31 October 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Vamos a separamos does not make sense to me. I agree with you on your analysis.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 270 of 344
31 October 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Could it have been a typo? "n" and "m" are next to each other on the keyboard. Typos happen, evem on the imtermet.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 271 of 344
02 November 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
It's probably a bad OCR job, a lot of times you'll see rn turning into m in OCR'd pdfs. And yeah, it makes me really happy to see all the progress you've made since you first stopped by.

Para una persona con un horario "normal" (es decir, con un trabajo, una familia, etc. y que no tiene todo el tiempo del mundo para dedicar al estudio de idiomas), poder estudiar una unidad a la semana ya es mucho, ¡mucho menos una unidad y cuarto! Revisa algunas de las cosas que escribiste en castellano al principio de tu log y te darás cuenta de lo mucho que has avanzado este año. En serio, ¡vas muy bien! Seguro que ya entiendes bastante bien lo que tu esposa y sus amigxs dicen. Ahora tienen que tener cuidado con lo que dicen cuando tú estás ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 272 of 344
03 November 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it must be a bad edit or typo.

Sin embargo, lo que me hace feliz que me di cuenta del error. :)

Crush, jaja! Sí, mis amigos y mi familia tienen que tener cuidado cuando hablan cerca de mí. Me siento como entiendo más cada día.

Last night a friend's son was asking me questions about different Spanish words, phrases and sentences(It was his Spanish homework). It was nice to effortlessly help him with the meanings and explain the sentence structures. I smiled as I thought that as easy as this was for me today, one day conversation with native speakers will be just as easy if I keep at it. And of course, I will.

Thanks again for all the help,

BOLIO

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version